Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 08:45 PM

12 posts, read 39,684 times

Advertisements

Thanks I will, has anybody ever get an apartment this way please let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 PM

12 posts, read 39,684 times
Thanks I will, has anybody ever get an apartment this way please let me know to see what my chances are

Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,432 times
My lowest is about 2500 and my highest is about 89000. I got called for an interview at Cooper gardens and my log # is about 5900.
I've applied to almost 150 different apartments and so far only hit one. (Cooper gardens) we'll see what happens.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:02 PM

494 posts, read 557,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melle7790 View Post
Hi there. No it doesn’t work like that. They pick ransoms numbers starting low. Then place these in preference groups( ie community board, disability, and city employees). Once they do that they place all the applications in chronological order in each preference group and go by that. After all the preference groups are full whatever units they have left go for the general population in which those numbers are also in chronological order from low to high. Hope this helps.
Does that mean our initial log number is random, then they also pick random numbers and then put them in order according to which group they are in?
I thought after our log number is given everyone is called in order according to preferences. So they would call all cb preference from log#’s 1 - xx,xxx. Or all general population from log 1- x,xxx.

Does anyone know how many people are called per available apartment?

Old 08-28-2019, 12:37 PM

515 posts, read 525,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
Does that mean our initial log number is random, then they also pick random numbers and then put them in order according to which group they are in?
I thought after our log number is given everyone is called in order according to preferences. So they would call all cb preference from log#’s 1 - xx,xxx. Or all general population from log 1- x,xxx.

Does anyone know how many people are called per available apartment?
melle7790 is incorrect log numbers are never and should never be picked at random for interviews.

The only thing random about these lotteries is the assignment of log numbers, that is the lottery aspect of this whole system.

The reason why someone with a log number of 50 might be called before a log number 1 is because 50 belongs to one of the preference groups (disability, community board, city employee) and 1 does not.

Once log numbers are issued by the system the interview process beings with 1. People in preference groups are processed first so if the first 100 log numbers do not belong to any preference groups they are skipped until the general population beginnings to be processed. Remember because log numbers are random people with preference are all over the place. So a preference group could look like log #s 1, 5, 9, 5987, 6000 or it could look like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

I believe batches of 50 is what can be sent to HPD at a time, but more people are called so that the process moves along faster.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 5,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
people in these lotteries forget the BIGGEST part about log #'s.

Once the lottery is closed you are assigned a log number. You could get 10 or you could get 85,000.

THEN there is a random selection of selecting everyone from the pool of 85,000. They generally pull out 10-20 x the amount of available apartments. (closer to 20, sometimes 30). Just because you have a very low log # doesn't mean you are in the running. Even if there are 50 apartments and you have a log number of like, THREE, doesn't mean you will get selected for further processing.

Once everyone is pulled they bring you in for interviews, and THEN your log # comes into play in that order.
Hello how long does it take to get a log number after the lottery is closed.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:02 PM

133 posts, read 141,514 times
My lowest is 8x and my highest is in the 85,xxxx range.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:42 AM

16 posts, read 17,916 times
Curious as to how long it usually takes for log numbers to be issued once a lottery is closed?

Old 05-28-2020, 07:11 AM

133 posts, read 141,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehzia View Post
Curious as to how long it usually takes for log numbers to be issued once a lottery is closed?
Usually three to six weeks.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:49 AM

16 posts, read 17,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by issapi27 View Post
Usually three to six weeks.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery