Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,224 times

Advertisements

Hey- so my recertification is coming up...and honestly, I am tired of this every year or two-year option my building has. I am really curious to know do any of you provide the full statements for your banking accounts and etc...I find providing a full statement to be excessive...

Also, is anyone with Lemle & Wolffe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 3,485 times
It's excessive but still required for you to remain in compliance with the LIHTC. They need to know your income in order to comply with the "next-available unit" rule, which states that if you're above 140% of AMI or something, they're required to open up the next available unit to another low income tenant.

Your rent will NOT be affected by your income once you're in.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 3,485 times
^This is for LIHTC housing. Other programs have their own requirements.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:32 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
Once you're in, you're usually fine. That is until the tax abatement ends (which is usually around 15-20 years). Many developers continue to have the status but some change it to market rate after the tax abatement runs out. Doesn't matter what you do after you get in as long as you can pay the rent. Some developers ask for annual updated info, but nothing is done to it.

My lottery building states I will lose my lottery status if I make 110% more than when I moved into the building. BUT, they haven't asked for any updated salary info in the past 5 years I've lived here. So, again, guess it depends on the developer. But shouldn't worry much.
False. I know quite a few people and they have to sign something every year. If you live single and want to go to school you can only go part time.

One friend after living in a building a few years asked if she could go back to school. They said either part time or get married and have your husband be the bread winner and then you can go full time. But as long as you remain in the apartment solo you can not go to school full time, since its a government funded program you will loose your apt

Old 05-15-2019, 04:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenKaneToad View Post
It's excessive but still required for you to remain in compliance with the LIHTC. They need to know your income in order to comply with the "next-available unit" rule, which states that if you're above 140% of AMI or something, they're required to open up the next available unit to another low income tenant.

Your rent will NOT be affected by your income once you're in.
Ugh, I figured...bite the bullet or its just the standard. I spoke to someone at the Housing Lottery and they said they should not need such information but it seems landlords are able to request full info...
Thank you.

Just not too thrilled so excessive...paystubs, accounts, ugh

Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I am in Mitchell Lama and must certify income annually but basically it just involves copying a few numbers from your NYS tax return. The pain in the ass is that my signature must be NOTARIZED.
My City Councilman's office is in my building and a very nice sweet woman in the office is a notary. But I really HATE pestering people and I might start using the UPS service a block away for $2 for the couple things each year that must be notarized, like a preposterously tiny inherited pension.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
False. I know quite a few people and they have to sign something every year. If you live single and want to go to school you can only go part time.

One friend after living in a building a few years asked if she could go back to school. They said either part time or get married and have your husband be the bread winner and then you can go full time. But as long as you remain in the apartment solo you can not go to school full time, since its a government funded program you will loose your apt
True. I asked them why once, and they said it was to prevent apartments from becoming dorms for students. Really?? I live in a 55+ building. Makes no sense...

Old 05-15-2019, 05:47 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,737,191 times
Your bank should have a notary too, KK.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:38 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Your bank should have a notary too, KK.

Used to, but no more. Chase at E. 93rd is across the street and used to have a notary and we had accounts, very convenient. THen she left and they told me to go to the 86th St. branch. I did: NO NOTARY. BAC on 86th (main account): No Notary.
First Republic (several accounts)...I haven't checked because they are on 79th and Lex, a bit of a hike, 1.5 mile walk.

In the meantime, thank you so much Debbie in Ben Kallos' office.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-18-2019 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-18-2019, 01:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
True. I asked them why once, and they said it was to prevent apartments from becoming dorms for students. Really?? I live in a 55+ building. Makes no sense...
That's so crazy that I actually laughed when I read it. Are they afraid your building is gonna be a bunch of 60 year old retires going back to school, having keg parties in the building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: