Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 05:29 AM

59 posts, read 65,472 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update. I’m not going to hold my breath for this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 02:08 PM

6,712 posts, read 6,117,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I'm debating what to do. I had my interview and I'm probably a shoein for my tier, but it's just so much money. Studios are +$400-500 and 1bds are +$800-1000 more than what I'm paying right now. Do I care about luxury? There's a reason why I moved out of the Avalon Fort Greene.

I might like my money more than my residence, plus I think I might live with my friend because I want to buy and splitting the cost of a 2bd somewhere would accelerate that like crazy. I also don't want to deal with all these notorized letters for "I transferred $18 to my bank account because I paid for lunch for everyone and they're paying me back". I see 2bds in Bensonhurst for around $1500 and in general getting one for less than $2k is like another $10-8k saved each year that can go towards buying a place.

I do love the Lower East Side and am excited to have Trader Joes, Target, Splittsville, NYU Langone, etc. right there, but hum... I can get a non luxury place in the neighborhood for less than what Essex Crossing is offering me. So much for affordable.
I read your post with great interest, because I too have this problem.

I have a large apartment on the west side of Inwood, but paying cheap rent because I had the lease since literally a long time ago. My commute kills me most of the time - (I work in midtown Manhattan) and the building is old, but well-kept. I have no real complaints to be honest - it's just that commute, and the occasional leaks from a bad plumbing job done a few years ago.

What I like about living at my place is that it affords me the opportunity to literally walk into a store, for instance, and look at clothes and say, I want to buy this and get it right on the spot. Or, I can go to an online travel site and if I like what I see I can buy it right on the spot. I don't live paycheck to paycheck and have healthy savings and checking accounts.

As for all of these lotteries, since I make over 120% AMI, I get to pay the upper tiers of all income lotteries, which makes it appear too "market rate" for me. So I wonder if I'm just being a big baby with the commute thing, or if I should buy something - instead of rent, or even if I should just stay put so that I can save cash, which I do every month. It's such a hard decision, because neither do I want to be that person who dies without living some kind of dream nor do I want to be the woman who died alone with savings.

I am so indecisive! When I don't get the lottery, I ***** and moan about it, but when I do, I reject wind up rejecting it! So far I have won two of them - one in Astoria and the Stuyvesant House, and now being considered for a third!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 7,656 times
Has anyone from the general population, without preferences, heard anything back, asked to submit documents or come in for an interview?

Seems like all discussion so far is about those with CB preferences.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:15 AM

994 posts, read 1,065,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtogetinsoon View Post
Has anyone from the general population, without preferences, heard anything back, asked to submit documents or come in for an interview?

Seems like all discussion so far is about those with CB preferences.
93,000 applications, the hotly contested area, the SEPEURA preference, etc, Im 6xx and Im not even holding my breathe for this one.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,915 times
Just got an e-mail to schedule an interview (log # 4xx no preference). Does anybody know anything about asset limits before being disqualified? I can't find anything definitive. I would be in the highest income bracket.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM

6,712 posts, read 6,117,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuc18 View Post
Just got an e-mail to schedule an interview (log # 4xx no preference). Does anybody know anything about asset limits before being disqualified? I can't find anything definitive. I would be in the highest income bracket.
If your combined assets are over 250K you are automatically disqualified. This includes your savings, checking, 401K's, CD's, etc.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:05 AM

3,184 posts, read 2,807,467 times
Unless something has changed recently, retirement accounts (401Ks, etc.) don't count towards assets.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:21 AM

59 posts, read 65,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Unless something has changed recently, retirement accounts (401Ks, etc.) don't count towards assets.
I believe it depends on whether or not you have access to the retirement accounts.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM

28 posts, read 39,371 times
An update for folks who might be waiting :

My rep said that the property won't be ready for leasing until December now. If you were approved before you'll probably need to resubmit some of your paperwork. ����

Old 11-06-2017, 01:15 PM

532 posts, read 790,651 times
i've got low logs for this,they never got to me LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery