Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 11:59 AM

59 posts, read 64,952 times

Advertisements

I turned down an interview a few months ago as I know I no longer qualify. Yesterday they double backed to me and asked if I was interested in a Studio.

These lotteries need to stop making so many micro studios. No one wants them. If I qualified I’m not sure if I would take it, as I’m guessing it’s 300 square feet or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 06:59 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstn28 View Post
I turned down an interview a few months ago as I know I no longer qualify. Yesterday they double backed to me and asked if I was interested in a Studio.

These lotteries need to stop making so many micro studios. No one wants them. If I qualified I’m not sure if I would take it, as I’m guessing it’s 300 square feet or so.

Micro studios are horrible. 300 feet is not a decent place to live for a human being.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:40 PM

43 posts, read 43,285 times
@bstn28 hey, what’s your log number? And did you have disability or cb preference?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suso View Post
@shadylady6, when did the process start for you? I was contacted February 13 that my application was up for processing and have supplied the management company with all the paperwork they requested, but haven't heard anything from them since March 1. Good luck with getting everything together for your move!
It happens within the month after your interview for me. But I know "no news is good news" when it comes to this process.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:23 PM

40 posts, read 76,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Micro studios are horrible. 300 feet is not a decent place to live for a human being.
I lived in 125 sq ft studio with my husband (before we were even engaged) for a few years. It wasn't too bad. A person can get used to almost anything, especially if the price is right and the neighborhood is where you want to be.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
My friends tell me I live the Japanese life in NYC lol. In Tokyo, and Japan for the most part, studios or 1R/1K etc can get down to less than 200 sq ft, some less than 150 sq ft. My current apartment is 250 sq ft and I have a queen bed, 2 desks, room for two computers, etc. I'm not materialistic and overtime I've found smaller works better for me. I also have a little reverse claustrophobia aka I have fear of big open spaces. Like, if I'm in a wide open park with no one around in the suburbs, I feel paranoid that a car is going to hit me. Lol! I gave up on a 1000 sq ft 2bd in SoHo because a) I didn't want to live with anyone, but moreso b) we never furnished the living room or kitchen, so it felt like a giant waist of money. It was a good price though.

I like small space, but I refuse to pay over $2k for it. That's the part that annoys me. 1bds in the highest band are $2.4k. Wtf. Ashland did studios for $2.1k.

Now for site 2, I might cave... it's less about the luxury and more about having the elevator, being on top of the subway, etc. Hopefully they have an elevator that goes straight to the bowling alley and market line. That being said, I'm getting ahead of myself. No idea if I will have a good log number, but at least I'll have CB preference.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,717 times
Hi all, did anyone know if their 2 bedroom apartment is on waiting list now? My Log number is almost 4000, and still waiting for interview chance. Just wondering if there is any chance I could get the 2 bedroom apartment. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,091 times
Default new neighbor :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgabe View Post
To update on my previous posts:

We've started getting mail and there is now a very friendly concierge during business hours to accept packages.

Once all the move-in confusion has passed I think it's going to be a very pleasant place to live. They are still working on the common areas and it seems like there's something new going in every day.

I was able to get Fios installed for internet and it's incredibly fast and tidily tucked into a utility cabinet - which was a nice touch on the part of the designers.

I was not able to switch the electric over to my name, as the individual building units are not yet registered with Con Ed. The front door buzzer is also not yet working. Other than that, it's getting there.

If any of you other folks end up moving in, please get in touch, I would love to meet up in person and get to know the neighbors!

To piggy back off of the previous posts, trust the process, no news is good news. Management reached out to me about 3 times in a matter of 3 weeks just making sure all of the paperwork was good to send off for city approval. Make sure you answer asap! the longer you take to provide info, the longer the process. I was contacted early February, went in for interview first week of March, and by the first week of April aka TODAY was asked to come in for lease signing. The total process with the management lasted me a month. My log number was in the mid 700s. I will view the apt next week and I am praying to GOD it is a 1 bedroom. PS SFGABE as soon as I move in we're going to be besties lol. Good luck to everyone!

Old 04-06-2018, 09:20 AM

11 posts, read 15,369 times
I went in for an interview a month ago but was told I am still on the waiting list since there are other a head of me. Apparently there are still one bedroom apartment within my income band so I was told there is still a shot but right now all I can do is wait. Syrayed are you in the 165% AMI band? Just keep track of the amount of available units and keep my fingers crossed I get a call back.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,091 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilson81 View Post
I went in for an interview a month ago but was told I am still on the waiting list since there are other a head of me. Apparently there are still one bedroom apartment within my income band so I was told there is still a shot but right now all I can do is wait. Syrayed are you in the 165% AMI band? Just keep track of the amount of available units and keep my fingers crossed I get a call back.
I'm in the 60%... I will definitely let you know! Based off previous posts, someone stated being wait listed for three months before receiving the 1 bedroom. However they did not state what their AMI was. Hope this helps elison81.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery