Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:30 AM

127 posts, read 216,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTNYCAPART View Post
problem is that 10 bedroom is going to people with CB
probably one or 2 isn't
while people below that bracket have so much options to choose from
Correct. However, your chances may be greater/better than you think for single individuals. That CB in the BX is VERY low income, WelcometotheBX has even done articles on how these lotteries should cater more towards the 30-50% bracket instead of incorporating some middle income as well, because majority of those living in that area are very poor.

So while CB does receive 50% preference, if they are unable to find enough people within that CB that can afford/qualify for the middle income units, they will move on to other non-preference applicants. You would be surprised how hard it is for some of these housing agents to convince people to pay $1200+ for a 1 bedroom in the BX, with my building in particular, I know they had a very difficult time filling those units for the middle income bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:04 AM

532 posts, read 788,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
Correct. However, your chances may be greater/better than you think for single individuals. That CB in the BX is VERY low income, WelcometotheBX has even done articles on how these lotteries should cater more towards the 30-50% bracket instead of incorporating some middle income as well, because majority of those living in that area are very poor.

So while CB does receive 50% preference, if they are unable to find enough people within that CB that can afford/qualify for the middle income units, they will move on to other non-preference applicants. You would be surprised how hard it is for some of these housing agents to convince people to pay $1200+ for a 1 bedroom in the BX, with my building in particular, I know they had a very difficult time filling those units for the middle income bracket.
that actually made good sense.
crossing my finger.
I get selected for something good.
I live all the way in Brooklyn though so my chance are slim still lol

Old 08-15-2017, 08:04 AM

444 posts, read 389,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post

The developers are told that the higher incomes WILL come to the Bronx if they offer the apartments. But it is the process that people get stuck on. Not everyone has time or the patience to sit and wait for an email to come and say "We want to interview you"

More and more middle income people are looking move because rents elsewhere are getting just a little too high. Plus look at these amenities live-in super, bike room, outdoor terrace, parking, laundry room. So for a person making $65K, you get a 1 bedroom and pay $1200 and get all that...Chances are they will not find a 1 bedroom with those amenities, and that price in a new building without a lottery.

As long as the neighborhood improves and the process isn't so drawn out they can fill those apartments with some work. Once a lottery closes do any of you hear about a building again? You might a little. But it is left to the renters to hunt down the info. Why aren't the Management companies doing more to fill those apartments? Exhaust those wait-list, then get a broker involved maybe.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
The developers are told that the higher incomes WILL come to the Bronx if they offer the apartments. But it is the process that people get stuck on. Not everyone has time or the patience to sit and wait for an email to come and say "We want to interview you"

More and more middle income people are looking move because rents elsewhere are getting just a little too high. Plus look at these amenities live-in super, bike room, outdoor terrace, parking, laundry room. So for a person making $65K, you get a 1 bedroom and pay $1200 and get all that...Chances are they will not find a 1 bedroom with those amenities, and that price in a new building without a lottery.

As long as the neighborhood improves and the process isn't so drawn out they can fill those apartments with some work. Once a lottery closes do any of you hear about a building again? You might a little. But it is left to the renters to hunt down the info. Why aren't the Management companies doing more to fill those apartments? Exhaust those wait-list, then get a broker involved maybe.
the thing is you won't get all these amenties for 1200+ without the lottery
you'd get a basement or some crappy apt in a bad neighhood or roommate.
I live with my dad. I can stay with him until idk how long but if i don't get out of that comfort zone, i'll be with him until i'm 50.
i def don't want to go out and pay 1400 for an apartment who doesn't have any amenties

Old 08-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
that actually made good sense.
crossing my finger.
I get selected for something good.
I live all the way in Brooklyn though so my chance are slim still lol
My fingers will be crossed as well, I live in the BX but in a different CB. PRAYING for a low log on this one! This location is awesome commuting wise and this building looks like it will be beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post

Yes, I absolutely agree. However, I was moreso speaking to the other posters point about people outside of that CB not having good chances.

The middle income people making 50K and up WILL jump at the chance to get a 1 bedroom for $1200 in a new building like this one. I just don't think majority of those middle income people will be coming from that specific CB, thus heightening the chances for those living OUTSIDE of that CB to nab an apartment.

In my experience, I was CB preference for my building, but my log number was 40K+, by the time they got around to my log number they still had a bunch of 1 bedrooms (for my income bracket) still vacant. I know for a fact they had a really difficult time getting people to sign off on those 1 bedrooms for the higher bracket within CB 3 and ultimately ended up bringing in non-preference people from other boroughs.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:50 AM

994 posts, read 1,059,161 times
Housing Connect has changed to Tenant Selection in Progress but no log numbers posted?

Old 08-15-2017, 10:01 AM

885 posts, read 1,381,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
Housing Connect has changed to Tenant Selection in Progress but no log numbers posted?
My log # is 7XXX sigh! not very low, so I won't hold my breath on this development contacting me

Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
My log # is 7XXX sigh! not very low, so I won't hold my breath on this development contacting me
Wow. That was fast! Mine still hasn't posted yet.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
at least it's not in 20k
most of my logs are high 10k to 90k
only a few are less than 3k

Old 08-15-2017, 10:16 AM

885 posts, read 1,381,936 times
Quote:
at least it's not in 20k
most of my logs are high 10k to 90k
only a few are less than 3k
Same here! my highest log number is 86,455! This means an insane amount of people apply for these lotteries every time. I also see folks with high log numbers post about getting randomly called for an interview, some with and some without CB preference so there's always hope, I just don't want to get my hopes up too high, but hey, it could happen!

Last edited by NiniCakes; 08-15-2017 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: grammatical error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery