Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:24 PM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
It's a weird scheme whereas NYCHA units in Campos houses for instance are being changed into section 8 and then sold to developers with the stipulation that they remain Section 8 in perpetuity. The city is claiming that the Feds will reimburse more for this kind of housing and the developers will make needed repairs.

In fact I doubt it will pan out this way. There is very little that would stop the developer from no longer renewing their section 8 contract. There is very little encouraging them to make more than the minimal repairs. In fact they are less likely to do that than NYCHA because they are for-profit. It's a stupid scheme.
Link?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
https://news.vice.com/article/the-pr...public-housing

This developer closed that deal and bought a 50 percent stake in those NYCHA units, other deals have been made.

Visit to Bronxchester Shows NYCHA in Transition, Section 8 Concerns

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dna...artnership.amp

These privatizatons are partial. NYCHA retains control for now but the apartments are out on section 8 and the private investor gets that revenue as a return on investment.
The first link is from 2014. Anything more recent about the deal being finalized?

From the second link:

"Bronxchester Houses is one such property. The redevelopment that has taken place at Bronxchester is not a RAD project simply because the property, while owned and operated by NYCHA since its acquisition in the 1970s, was never public housing but was rather always Section 8 housing. This status as Section 8 housing owned by NYCHA is one shared by five other properties, and when the housing authority sold a 50 percent stake in the properties to a private developer, Triborough Preservation Partners, which is itself a partnership between L+M Development and Preservation Development Partners, in late 2014, the sale allowed for the redevelopment of approximately 875 apartments."

So who does the tenants living in those redeveloped units pay their rent to? NYCHA has taken Section 8 for a long time, this is nothing new. I personally know people that live in NYCHA and have been on Section 8 for at least 10 years.

From the third link:

"NYCHA still owns the land and will have major oversight of Ocean Bay. But there's new management under a public/private partnership comprised of MDG Design + Construction, Wavecrest Management Team, the Ocean Bay Community Development Corporation and Catholic Charities.

Apartments will be renovated with residents remaining inside, and leases are now transferred to a Section 8 contract to ensure rents remain affordable."

Like I said who are the tenants paying rent to? When they are making out their checks to somebody else other than NYCHA then you'll have a story. Otherwise this is one big troll thread.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The first link is from 2014. Anything more recent about the deal being finalized?

From the second link:

"Bronxchester Houses is one such property. The redevelopment that has taken place at Bronxchester is not a RAD project simply because the property, while owned and operated by NYCHA since its acquisition in the 1970s, was never public housing but was rather always Section 8 housing. This status as Section 8 housing owned by NYCHA is one shared by five other properties, and when the housing authority sold a 50 percent stake in the properties to a private developer, Triborough Preservation Partners, which is itself a partnership between L+M Development and Preservation Development Partners, in late 2014, the sale allowed for the redevelopment of approximately 875 apartments."

So who does the tenants living in those redeveloped units pay their rent to? NYCHA has taken Section 8 for a long time, this is nothing new. I personally know people that live in NYCHA and have been on Section 8 for at least 10 years.

From the third link:

"NYCHA still owns the land and will have major oversight of Ocean Bay. But there's new management under a public/private partnership comprised of MDG Design + Construction, Wavecrest Management Team, the Ocean Bay Community Development Corporation and Catholic Charities.

Apartments will be renovated with residents remaining inside, and leases are now transferred to a Section 8 contract to ensure rents remain affordable."

Like I said who are the tenants paying rent to? When they are making out ltheir checks to somebody else other than NYCHA then you'll have a story. Otherwise this is one big troll thread.
It's not a big troll thread. I'll post addylinks, but you'll owe me research fees as my research skills aren't used as free,

Essentially privatization is happening in stages as the investors of those deals ultimately have the right to buy out NYCHA's stake in the desala. Yes the first deal closed as have others and if you want more on that you are welcome to find them.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
It's not a big troll thread. I'll post addylinks, but you'll owe me research fees as my research skills aren't used as free,

Essentially privatization is happening in stages as the investors of those deals ultimately have the right to buy out NYCHA's stake in the desala. Yes the first deal closed as have others and if you want more on that you are welcome to find them.
No, you made the thread, so you post the proof! You're like a box of Lucky Charms without the marshmallows! How the hell is your Reputation over 5000?

Old 07-14-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
No, you made the thread, so you post the proof! You're like a box of Lucky Charms without the marshmallows! How the hell is your Reputation over 5000?
You look into it yourself unless you're paying me. I provided enough info for any interested party to do their own research and I'm not interested in childish arguments.

And obviously I make good points and people love me.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:19 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
You look into it yourself unless you're paying me. I provided enough info for any interested party to do their own research and I'm not interested in childish arguments.

*LOL* Am wondering if you pay anyone to love you? Never say never.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:

What's so childish? You make a silly title/thread with no actual proof. Why waste people's time with this crap? You're another one, diarrhea of the keyboard.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
What's so childish? You make a silly title/thread with no actual proof. Why waste people's time with this crap? You're another one, diarrhea of the keyboard.
If you're interested in learning more, you'll learn more about that subject. If you're not interested in learning more, that's perfectly fine and it is your decision. I'm not your teacher.

Me posting on city data is not the same as me writing an academic paper with citations and a bibliography. None of us have anything to prove on this forum.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
If you're interested in learning more, you'll learn more about that subject. If you're not interested in learning more, that's perfectly fine and it is your decision. I'm not your teacher.

Me posting on city data is not the same as me writing an academic paper with citations and a bibliography. None of us have anything to prove on this forum.
Dont try to flip anything. You made a statement with no supporting evidence. Where's the proof that NYCHA residents are paying their rent to somebody else? Guess what, it's not there! Which means they are still NYCHA, and you're a fear-monger! I'm just going to start posting whatever I feel like too, just because my Internet bill is paid. It's been fun with you too. Are you and pierrepont related?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Give them one way bus ticket to Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma it cheaper there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: