Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 07:51 AM

444 posts, read 391,645 times

Advertisements

Does this surprise anyone?

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...eb2a-139914245
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:42 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,600,611 times
Not at all. A friend of mine told me about his experience with the affordable housing where his log number is under 10, and the developer was trying to brush him off the list by telling him that he has to bring documents in on the same day that they call him.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:58 AM

345 posts, read 858,375 times
All information regarding apartment waiting lists should be public and monitored. Online access should be available. In a case where a waiting list is opened, we should know exactly how many people are on the current waiting list for the apartments. That way, we can easily determine if its worth the waiting time and expense. I feel that a lot of these developments often open new wait list in order to collect the $200 fee.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM

6,711 posts, read 6,117,821 times
Yeah, I'm still wondering why I was called in to submit paperwork for one development only for them to tell me literally a week later that there aren't anymore apartments for my income level.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:46 AM

100 posts, read 177,775 times
I'm on the waitlist for a building. At my interview I was told there were 2 apartments available and 1 currently occupied but the person was moving out at the end of the month. There were 2 people ahead of me. This was in February and everytime I contact them they keep saying they're processing applications for the people ahead of me. Or the supervisor would say my worker was out of the office. Just so many excuses I feel like there's something shady going on. Why is it taking so long to process 2 applications? Or maybe I'm paranoid I don't know...

Old 08-18-2017, 11:17 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,623,875 times
The article was about Mitchell-Lama units only. The DHCR does NOTHING for tenants, they are all about getting out of the M-L program and you have no idea of the abuses they allowed. Knickerbocker had so many vacant units that that ****ty little article isn't the tip of the iceberg. It had nothing to do with Hurricane Sandy and everything to do with sitting and watching what happened at SBT because Knickerbocker was next in line.

The M-L waiting lists were online and you could check your position on the lists, but that didn't stop them slipping people in that were never on the list. So if the list numbers didn't move, who would know? They definitely skipped people making internal transfers whose philosophy didn't jibe with their own.

Warehousing empty apartments during a conversion is not legal because every empty is an apartment the landlord can use as a vote for their agenda.

And no, I'm not surprised.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 AM

129 posts, read 271,812 times
But DiNapoli did an audit last year and found the same things. That's why they implemented the website as part of the process among other changes. Are there any consequences for their actions? Or are they just going to keep auditing?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 PM

444 posts, read 391,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy99 View Post
I'm on the waitlist for a building. At my interview I was told there were 2 apartments available and 1 currently occupied but the person was moving out at the end of the month. There were 2 people ahead of me. This was in February and everytime I contact them they keep saying they're processing applications for the people ahead of me. Or the supervisor would say my worker was out of the office. Just so many excuses I feel like there's something shady going on. Why is it taking so long to process 2 applications? Or maybe I'm paranoid I don't know...
Unless these people moved out of state and management really wants to find them I would think something shady is going on. Sorry, that really sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post
But DiNapoli did an audit last year and found the same things. That's why they implemented the website as part of the process among other changes. Are there any consequences for their actions? Or are they just going to keep auditing?
Probably more audits to focus on different buildings.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:24 PM

57 posts, read 57,429 times
https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/re...y15/072915.htm

Old 08-19-2017, 04:05 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,873,004 times
Nothing new and it's been going on for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery