Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 06:15 PM

13 posts, read 12,647 times

Advertisements

So... I was recently, after years of applying, called for not one but two housing lotteries, one through NYC Housing Connect and the other by directly applying to a building. I got notice for both on the same day, weird!

I have a cb preference on one and for both I seem to meet the income requirements. My credit is good enough I'm guessing (between 650-700 depending on bureau hit) and I have a very stable rent history.

So... I'm feeling confident but one thing I'm a bit concerned about is I was arrested around a year ago for smoking weed in public. Not my best moment, but I've grown (I only rarely smoke weed outside these days).

Do you think this will influence my outcome?

Also, separately... If I'm getting called for an interview and do qualify, am I still essentially just on a long waiting list or am I closer than that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 06:42 PM

128 posts, read 115,368 times
Postal worker + Weed smoker = wheres my package and mail ?

Old 07-02-2019, 06:44 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prgordo View Post
Postal worker + Weed smoker = wheres my package and mail ?
My USPS package has been MIA since last Thursday. Seriously is this why I never receive any because all the employee's are lazy and stoned....

Old 07-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpostalworker View Post
Not my best moment, but I've grown (I only rarely smoke weed outside these days).
Hope you don't smoke inside your apartment because most of these buildings are smoke free!

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 07-02-2019 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 07:11 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
They will do a background check. How will they interpret that? We shall see.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:12 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,738,515 times
Were you convicted? An arrest alone is not supposed to be sufficient grounds to justify exclusion.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:07 AM

13 posts, read 12,647 times
The case was dismissed.

Also, to be honest, I can't smoke on the job. Not fun. More of an off duty recreation

Old 07-06-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
The case was dismissed.

Also, to be honest, I can't smoke on the job. Not fun. More of an off duty recreation
I'm glad to hear you don't. We all have recreational activities we enjoy. Just be curtious of your neighbors.

Now back to my package....where are you hiding it, its been over a week and still MIA

Old 07-06-2019, 04:48 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
The case was dismissed.

By and large arrest records do not carry any consequences and or repercussions. Only convictions appear on rap sheets and that is what legally persons or entities can make determinations regarding moral and or other fitness for various things including but not limited to employment, housing, military, security clearances, etc...

Arrest records matter more as a moral objection and or shaming; you'll hear media say "suspect has an "arrest" record of ......". They may go on to say "with no convictions", and or "was convicted of "X". Or those background checking websites will say "X has court records (arrests, convictions)... leading people to make their own assumptions.

By USC persons are innocent until proven guilty, thus legally nothing can be done to anyone who merely has an arrest record that ends in a case being dismissed and or otherwise decided in favor of accused.

This being said does finding out someone has an arrest record leave a bad taste in some people's mouths? Of course, but they cannot legally discriminate merely based upon that information alone. But if that information does cause some sort of internal bias to kick in they will find other ways to say "no", just not disclose their true reasons.

In your situation none of this matters; these "affordable" housing applications like nearly everything else in NYS only ask about convictions, not arrests IIRC.

End of thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: