Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 01:37 PM

19,116 posts, read 14,127,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
"The issue is that holding one of these vouchers does not change the person into someone who deserves to live amongst those who have achieved in life and make socially acceptable decisions. "

I've rarely seen someone asking so hard for God to strike him down.
Good thing then that I am an atheist who doesn't seek help from fairy-tale characters.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:05 PM

931 posts, read 806,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is precisely the problem. Forget about the artificial ability to "pay" market rent only due of the largess of our liberal politicians. That ship has sailed. The issue is that holding one of these vouchers does not change the person into someone who deserves to live amongst those who have achieved in life and make socially acceptable decisions.

All too often I deal with the results of voucher/program types who manage to weasel themselves into a neighborhood they have not modeled their life after. The people who suffer due to this arrangement are the owners/renters who have achieved and act within respectful social norms, and of course are paying the full-boat of what it takes to live in such a neighborhood, making the situation for them all that much worse.

God forbid my neighbor who rents her house out decided to accept a voucher family next to me. Mine would be on the market the next day. I have not worked hard all of my life so that my family can be subjected to trash.
I wish I can give you a million rep points!!!!!!! Well said my friend!

Old 08-10-2019, 09:41 AM

48 posts, read 39,286 times
Theres 2 PROJECT LOOKING HEFFaS and her homeless lookin man walking around in PJ'S and slippers at the AMERICAN COPPER BUILDING almost every morning smoking outside. Is it possible since you obviously CANT AFFORD TO LIVE HERE MARKET WISE, Can you look in the MIRROR BEFORE YOUR CRUSTY ASHY SELF STEPS OUTSIDE or hang in the lobby???

Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 AM

12,793 posts, read 8,398,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
To add to my own post, actually, there is the fourth and simplest solution for Parkchester: they can simply remove from the condo rules the wording about not renting to government assistance recipients, and then rent to anyone they want. There is no law to prevent Parkchester Preservation from continuing to require the minimum annual income of $38k, the minimum credit score of 650, and a verifiable employment for the most recent 2 years.

FYI, the amount of Section 8 voucher for a 1-bedroom apartment in NYC in 2019 is $1,711. In this rare case of my agreement with Pierrepont, I believe this $1,711 amount pretty much sets the minimum rental price for the city.
$1,711 voucher for a one bedroom is absurd... Speaking with my broker, my mortgage for a one bedroom co-op could be that with a nice down payment. Just tells me I definitely will be buying...

Old 08-10-2019, 07:49 PM

204 posts, read 636,775 times
I hope this whole thing goes to Supreme Court. I have people reaching out to me with nothing but government assistance as income and 5 kids, people with 5 adults and 2 kids trying to squeeze in everyone and their mom, people that owes 100k plus on their credit report with debt collectors knocking down their doors, people that pays brokers to fake their credit reports.

So what if you got housing taken care of. Especially if you got tons of debt. If government are paying these anyway, they should built the housing rather than forcing the property owners to take on these risk with zero ability to evict without huge losses. If government want me to accept a voucher, guarantee the rent plus attorney fees for eviction if they violate rules then maybe I will consider. This basically means these vouchers have to be double their face value in order for any sane landlord to consider.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 PM

34,188 posts, read 47,603,178 times
Quote:
This is precisely the problem. Forget about the artificial ability to "pay" market rent only due of the largess of our liberal politicians. That ship has sailed. The issue is that holding one of these vouchers does not change the person into someone who deserves to live amongst those who have achieved in life and make socially acceptable decisions.

All too often I deal with the results of voucher/program types who manage to weasel themselves into a neighborhood they have not modeled their life after. The people who suffer due to this arrangement are the owners/renters who have achieved and act within respectful social norms, and of course are paying the full-boat of what it takes to live in such a neighborhood, making the situation for them all that much worse.

God forbid my neighbor who rents her house out decided to accept a voucher family next to me. Mine would be on the market the next day. I have not worked hard all of my life so that my family can be subjected to trash.
Thats actually a pretty sad situation were it to happen man, smh

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-10-2019, 11:11 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,805,240 times
Quote:
Good thing then that I am an atheist who doesn't seek help from fairy-tale characters.
So am I, dude. I just know that a man who props up his own weak character with vicious attacks on other people's worthiness to exist is asking for life to kneecap him. Which it can and will at any minute.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:50 AM

25,439 posts, read 37,286,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Why do you think landlords are refusing to rent to these voucher holders even though their rent payments are *guaranteed*?
The problem with these vouchers is that the city only covers rent for the first year, after that the tenant is supposed to pay. Most tenants do not have the ability to pay after that first year .

Is that true of Section 8 vouchers, or are you referring to some OTHER form of voucher? Are you perhaps conflating the tenants' requirement to recertify annually with some kind of summary dismissal from the program after a year?

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-11-2019 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 AM

19,116 posts, read 14,127,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thats actually a pretty sad situation were it to happen man, smh
I’m dealing with a case now that I keep in mind because it’s my greatest fear as far as rentals go. The neighbors call every day, and I can’t blame them. Every worked hard to buy their houses, then this landlord accepts a voucher family and now the whole block is falling to crap and they are all at their wits end. Its too far gone to even sell now because any potential buyers will immediately see the eyesore next door. I’d sell immediately to head that off.

We had a close call a few years ago with a family from Alabama renting behind me. I’ve told the story before. It took some creativeness but we finally got the landlord to realize that his tenants were terrorizing the neighborhood, so he evicted them. He learned his lesson big time because they played the typical game. Ended up renovating the house to the point that the rent is well above what a degenerate could afford. There’s a real decent family in there now.

And the degenerates were Alabama white trash, just to nip the coming accusations in the bud.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-11-2019, 07:13 AM

32,111 posts, read 27,355,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Why do you think landlords are refusing to rent to these voucher holders even though their rent payments are *guaranteed*?
The problem with these vouchers is that the city only covers rent for the first year, after that the tenant is supposed to pay. Most tenants do not have the ability to pay after that first year and most know this in advance that they will not be paying rent, knowing that it will take the landlord another year and a long legal battle to evict them (if landlord is lucky!, since these tenants most of the time are some kind of disadvantaged family). Then they will go into the system again to get another voucher. That's why landlords ain't touching these *guaranteed money* vouchers with a 10 foot pole, you can't evict these people once they stop paying.
In a normal system where you were able to actually evict people from your property for non-payment, landlords would be falling over themselves to get tenants whose rent payments are guaranteed. Most landlords who accepted these tenants in the past lost a lot of money.
Initial voucher period is one year, but *may* be extended annually four times for a total of five years.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hra/down.../HPA-26e-E.pdf

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hra/help/linc-documents.page

BdeB's administration (surprise, surprise) is throwing money at LL's to take these vouchers, but not nearly enough are taking the bait.

https://www.trulia.com/voices/Rental...ouchers-855338
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: