Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:13 AM

19,116 posts, read 14,130,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
So am I, dude. I just know that a man who props up his own weak character with vicious attacks on other people's worthiness to exist is asking for life to kneecap him. Which it can and will at any minute.
Are you a homeowner in a neighborhood with mostly homeowners who concern themselves with maintaining the area as a good, wholesome place to live where there’s no trash on the street, loud music at all hours of the night, criminal activity or any other bothersome issues that hard working people prefer not to deal with?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 07:34 AM

34,188 posts, read 47,607,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m dealing with a case now that I keep in mind because it’s my greatest fear as far as rentals go. The neighbors call every day, and I can’t blame them. Every worked hard to buy their houses, then this landlord accepts a voucher family and now the whole block is falling to crap and they are all at their wits end. Its too far gone to even sell now because any potential buyers will immediately see the eyesore next door. I’d sell immediately to head that off.

We had a close call a few years ago with a family from Alabama renting behind me. I’ve told the story before. It took some creativeness but we finally got the landlord to realize that his tenants were terrorizing the neighborhood, so he evicted them. He learned his lesson big time because they played the typical game. Ended up renovating the house to the point that the rent is well above what a degenerate could afford. There’s a real decent family in there now.

And the degenerates were Alabama white trash, just to nip the coming accusations in the bud.
Thats nuts

Thats why some people prefer HOAs and co-ops

But still, its like all your hard work for nothing

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-11-2019, 10:27 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,628,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Actually, the housing advocates are right for a change. The city is giving people vouchers to cover the rent so the income of the tenant is irrelevant. The idea that 10k+ people are in shelters while already having these vouchers is ridiculous. I consider myself plenty conservative, but if we're going to spend the money people deserve the opportunity to at least better their lives.

That said, I understand back during the Bloomberg era, there was a fear that if world got out that showing up at a NYC homeless shelter was a ticket towards a free housing voucher (and in effect, a free NYC apartment), everyone from Texas to Thailand would be coming here. So I don't know what the best solution is.
That does happen.
People come from out of state with no ties to NYC to go to "the shelter", in order to "get housing"

Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM

25,439 posts, read 37,289,554 times
Let's turn this around:

New Law: Landlords can charge no more than 1/40 of any tenants income.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,315,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Let's turn this around:

New Law: Landlords can charge no more than 1/40 of any tenants income.

New law: Tenants who are unable to afford landlords' asking rent should live with their friends and family. The mortgage,taxes, upkeep etc doesn't have a cap in cost. Why should a complete stranger subsidize anyone's life?

Some renters wants to live on other people's dime rather than seek to better themselves or move to where they can afford.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 4,484,075 times
Re Parkchester again: people who live in the condo complex are generally poor, but decent, and manage their own lives with dignity based on their own work. The "activists" apparently want to slap these people in the face by forcing them to live with criminal, shameless welfare scum, who get for free the same apartments for which these working people work so hard. That is so disgustingly wrong. It literally tells these poor people, who succeeded, with all the effort it entails, to just pull themselves from the bottom, that their efforts are worthless and stupid, because, hey, any scum that smokes pot on the couch all day while watching the Kardashians and popping out kids, can attain your "achievement" with no effort at all.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:02 PM

2,327 posts, read 1,179,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Re Parkchester again: people who live in the condo complex are generally poor, but decent, and manage their own lives with dignity based on their own work. The "activists" apparently want to slap these people in the face by forcing them to live with criminal, shameless welfare scum, who get for free the same apartments for which these working people work so hard. That is so disgustingly wrong. It literally tells these poor people, who succeeded, with all the effort it entails, to just pull themselves from the bottom, that their efforts are worthless and stupid, because, hey, any scum that smokes pot on the couch all day while watching the Kardashians and popping out kids, can attain your "achievement" with no effort at all.

The deBlasio plan is to destabilize every middle-class neighborhood in the city. He (and the City Council) are doing it through the massive expansion of homeless shelters, the Section-8 program, the weakening of the NYPD, the breakdown of discipline in the public schools, and the building of jails in residential neighborhoods caused by the ill-advised closing of Rikers Island.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:24 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,476,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
"The issue is that holding one of these vouchers does not change the person into someone who deserves to live amongst those who have achieved in life and make socially acceptable decisions. "

I've rarely seen someone asking so hard for God to strike him down.
I mean, do explain how Airborneguy was wrong. He is right on the money, though few are brave enough to say so themselves. While not universally true, people on housing vouchers are coming from a different class with different problems associated with that class than people who can afford to pay market rent on their own. I wouldn't want to live among them either if I fought and scrapped to be able to afford to live in a market rate unit on my own. I explicitly try to NOT live around people of certain socioeconomic backgrounds. And--before someone goes there with false accusations--this has NOTHING to do with race, etc. Its all to do about class and socioeconomic status. There is a reason why people who get a few dollars to rub together move into different neighborhoods; increased safety, higher performing schools, etc. They thought they were leaving their old problems and neighbors behind.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:59 PM

32,117 posts, read 27,355,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Are you a homeowner in a neighborhood with mostly homeowners who concern themselves with maintaining the area as a good, wholesome place to live where there’s no trash on the street, loud music at all hours of the night, criminal activity or any other bothersome issues that hard working people prefer not to deal with?
Go down any street in Port Richmond, West Brighton, Mariners Harbor and a few select areas that once were solid middle/working class. No small number are now busted hoods with large numbers of homes on a block full of Section 8 and other voucher tenants.

Several good friends and former classmates from high school have gotten in on that racket.

https://www.gosection8.com/Section-8...d-Richmond-NY/

Old 08-11-2019, 04:04 PM

8,346 posts, read 4,484,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I mean, do explain how Airborneguy was wrong. He is right on the money, though few are brave enough to say so themselves. While not universally true, people on housing vouchers are coming from a different class with different problems associated with that class than people who can afford to pay market rent on their own. I wouldn't want to live among them either if I fought and scrapped to be able to afford to live in a market rate unit on my own. I explicitly try to NOT live around people of certain socioeconomic backgrounds. And--before someone goes there with false accusations--this has NOTHING to do with race, etc. Its all to do about class and socioeconomic status. There is a reason why people who get a few dollars to rub together move into different neighborhoods; increased safety, higher performing schools, etc. They thought they were leaving their old problems and neighbors behind.

It is probably not insignificant that Airborneguy works in law enforcement and I work in healthcare, and we have formed the opinion we have formed (it is substantially the same opinion, his and mine). We have both seen our share of homeless people - he has seen them as crime and nuisance perpetrators, and I have seen them as disproportionately high users of healthcare services (which are free to them), given the high incidence of mental illness, addiction, pregnancy, and simply using expensive emergency rooms as places to sleep, in the homeless population. These people should be kept separate from normally socially adjusted people (ie, not in regular residential neighborhoods where people live who support themselves by their earned income).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: