U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2019, 07:12 PM

81 posts, read 150,742 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the River Terrace in Washington Heights?

It's at 158th and Riverside Drive and is a Mitchell-Lama building in the Audubon Terrace section. Seems to be a very nice around there and every apartment has a balcony and a view!

Anyone live there or know anything about the area?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 07:45 PM

478 posts, read 695,583 times
I don't have personal knowledge of that building, except I always thought it was cool/weird for that block to have street numbers with a dash in them, like in Queens. 158-70 or something like that. The original Riverside Drive is actually behind the buildings on that block, and the road in front is a viaduct constructed later.
It's a section of Wash Hts that doesn't seem too terrible -- certainly there are worse areas. But as for walking around at night, I'd be at least slightly cautious. Not saying this from any of my own experiences. And I'm sure it's much better than the bad old days in the Hts.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:38 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,322,777 times
I'm on their waiting lists. It's one of the MLs I like most, actually. The area isn't bad at all but it can be a schlep since it's uptown if you need to go downtown for anything. The apartments themselves are nice and the building is very well-kept. It's a nice little community of people.

A couple who lives there actually got their apartment featured on Apartment Therapy twice. I'll find the links.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Link one: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/nyc...tic-mix-258545

Link two: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/a-y...artment-249280

Old 10-07-2019, 01:25 PM

86 posts, read 80,030 times
I got called to see an apartment there in 2013. It was about a 4-year wait. My cousin and I both got on the list in 2009 and we both got calls to come view an apartment in the same week. There were two apartments available and they called in 5 people.

Everyone is different, but I got a terrible feeling in the area. I walked around for a long time, went into stores and tried to imagine myself living there. The apartments are in a beautiful spot, but it's a long walk to the subway and I found the stores, restaurants, etc. in the area depressing.A couple of the people in our group had cars and said that they planned to drive to Whole Foods and other stores once they were living there.

One of the apartments we saw was updated with a new kitchen and hardwood floors. Both apartments were on high floors with great views. The people in the building (and the people viewing the apartments) were all friendly and helpful.

Neither my cousin nor I decided to take an apartment.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:50 AM

Hey Mia,

Thanks for posting on this thread! It's cool to hear from someone with first-hand experience.

I actually don't mind the area at all. Perhaps it's gotten nicer in the past 6 years? If you don't mind me asking, is there anything else you didn't like about the neighborhood?

Did you guys end up in another Mitchell Lama instead?

Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 PM

81 posts, read 150,742 times
I heard from someone else that the buy-in for the 1 bedrooms is around $30,000 to $35,000 and maintenance fees run about $750 to $850 a month and because it's a co-op that includes real estate taxes. Also comes with all utilities except Internet.

Where else can you live-in NYC for under a thousand bucks a month as your "rent"?! Your OWN apartment and NO ROOMMATE DRAMA.
Anyone who passes this deal-up is absolutely insane!

Mitchell-Lama buildings are an absolute godsend to us working folks. Good luck everyone!!!!

Old 10-09-2019, 03:18 AM

Everyone has their own reasons for turning down a ML. Maybe they're on the wait list for a better one!

That said I agree with you about Mitchell Lama being a godsend.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 AM

86 posts, read 80,030 times
I too agree that MLs are a fabulous deal and I wish the program were expanding. But not every building is for everyone. It all depends on your personal situation.

You can always take an apartment on Riverside and stay on other ML waiting lists, but if you're nearing the top of a list for another ML apartment that you prefer, waiting it out will save you money and inconvenience.

Oh, and RobbieNYC, the Riverside buy-in and maintenance charges are relatively high when it comes to MLs. Also, maintenance charges never go down, only up. Even non-ML buildings include taxes and utilities in the maintenance. Just as an aside, I purchased my tiny studio in Queens about 10 years ago for well under 100k. My maintenance, including gas, electric and taxes, is less than the ML on Riverside. Granted, it is an VERY small studio without a full kitchen. However, my equity has doubled in a decade. Insane not to take the ML on Riverside? I think not. While I really need more space (and can't afford to size up because I'm going to retire soon and will be on a fixed income), my equity is only going up as I wait to get an ML in a location I prefer. To a lot of people, location is everything.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM

Agreed! If you can afford to wait it out, why not? If you're not comfortable in an area it's not a good quality of life for you. You need to weigh the pros and cons and it looks like you made a smart decision.

You're also right that the buy-in is high for Riverside, which I suspect is why the building is so nice and the people are generally nice in it too. It weeds out a lot of people. The buy-in for my ML complex in Queens is like $8,000 for a two bed, and maintenance is around $1080. But our wait list is unfortunately a lot longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery