Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 03:06 PM

103 posts, read 92,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname2 View Post
Applicants are randomly ordered and assigned a log number means the log number portion is the random lottery part of this process. Further down it states to remain fair, applicants are called in based on their log number. Meaning if we apply for the same unit and I get a log number of 200 and you get 215 and neither of us have a preference, I will be contacted before you because 200 comes before 215.
Everyone who has applied gets a log number after the lottery closes. You can view your log number in the far right hand side of the Housing Connect website, next to the 'Application Status' column of the Housing List page.

This video further explains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Dht0LhP7c
Minute 2:07 - The system automatically gives a random number to each application. This is your log number.

Anyway, to answer the OP: I think the highest log number I ever received an email about was in the 14,000s. I didn't go to the interview, though. I also totally agree with the other poster who said you have a much better shot if you're fortunate enough to be in a higher AMI bracket.

Last edited by metrocardigan; 10-28-2019 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: I meant my highest number was 14,000 not 1,400!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 03:08 PM

204 posts, read 214,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
Everyone who has applied gets a log number after the lottery closes. You can view your log number in the far right hand side of the Housing Connect website, next to the 'Application Status' column of the Housing List page.

This video further explains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Dht0LhP7c
Minute 2:07 - The system automatically gives a random number to each application. This is your log number.

Anyway, to answer the OP: I think the highest log number I ever received an email about was in the 1400s. I didn't go to the interview, though. I also totally agree with the other poster who said you have a much better shot if you're fortunate enough to be in a higher AMI bracket.
There has been lotteries ... I personally did not receive a log number for after applying ... so everyone cannot get a log number IF I am here saying ... There has been plenty that I did not get numbers for.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:59 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,914 times
Quote:
There has been lotteries ... I personally did not receive a log number for after applying ... so everyone cannot get a log number IF I am here saying ... There has been plenty that I did not get numbers for.
That's weird - I have gotten log numbers for every regular Housing Connect lottery I've applied to, except one which I chalked up to anomaly. Now, Mitchell Lama is a different story, there they have a set number for lists and you only get a log number if on the list.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:02 AM

204 posts, read 214,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
That's weird - I have gotten log numbers for every regular Housing Connect lottery I've applied to, except one which I chalked up to anomaly. Now, Mitchell Lama is a different story, there they have a set number for lists and you only get a log number if on the list.
Nope they were all housing connect lotteries.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:17 AM

515 posts, read 525,542 times
Quote:
Nope they were all housing connect lotteries.
If you applied to the lottery then you should have received a log number.

I have one lottery I applied to that I never got a log number for. It still shows on my housing connect list as "closed" and its from 2017. HOWEVER the reason I did not get a log number was because that lottery got cancelled. I forgot what the reasoning was and I think it went up again as a different lottery under a new name or the building completely pulled out from the whole lottery thing, anyways point is if you apply you get a log number unless the lottery gets cancelled or something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
They say it's a lottery (at random) but from the pattern I've noticed, they seem to only call low numbers at very low numbers (no higher than 10,000).

For different developments, I've had log numbers of 64xxx, 28xxx, 3xxx, 4xx, 74xxx, 17xxx and so on and so forth. Most are higher than 10xxx.

So my question for most people who get called into an interview and have moved in, were you log numbers higher or lower?

Thanks.
I don't under why people find this lottery system so difficult to understand it's really quite simple.

Here is an example

50 people apply to the lottery for 10 apartments. Some apply in the beginning, middle and end. Now the computer is going to take all 50 applications and RANDOMIZE them (because the date you apply is irrelevant to the lottery). Now ALL applications are at random and a RANDOM log number is given. Now THE LOTTERY IS COMPLETE! Lol that is it. That is the lottery part and the ONLY random thing in these lottery.

Now if the building offers preference to any of the available groups CB, disability etc. because log numbers are assigned at random a preference group can look like 1,2,3,4,5 or 1,28,35,49,50 THIS group will be reached out to first until all preference group apartments are filled. The order in which preference groups are processed is still by numerical order in my example 4 and 5 or 49 and 50 CANNOT be processed until 1, 2, 3 or 1, 28, 35. In my example there are 10 apartments so 1/2 go to preference that means 5 apartments. So the first 5 go to 1,2,3,4,5 or 1,28,35,49,50 if they meet all the requirements

Last when preference groups are complete they move on to general population(people with no preference)lets continue with my example that group will be 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 etc. or 2, 3, 4, 5....29 etc.
They are all then processed in numerical order 8 cannot be processed before 6,7. Once all apartments are filled no more log numbers are processed and which ever were called in that didn't get offered an apartment are waitlisted. There are only 5 more apartments in my example so if the lottery looks like group #1 (6,7,8,9,10) and they all meet the requirements and get offered and accept the apartment then 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 etc will not be reached out to or they will be waitlisted.

So if you were not reached out to with high or low log number it's most likely because your number wasn't reached. Remember you need to take account of how many apartments are available in the whole lottery, if 50% go to preference. If you belong to a preference group how many numbers are ahead of you. So in theory you are correct you have a much bigger chance of winning if you have a low log number.

These lotteries get thousands of applications.

Last edited by Mimilove; 10-29-2019 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-29-2019, 11:04 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post

I have one lottery I applied to that I never got a log number for. It still shows on my housing connect list as "closed" and its from 2017. HOWEVER the reason I did not get a log number was because that lottery got cancelled. I forgot what the reasoning was and I think it went up again as a different lottery under a new name or the building completely pulled out from the whole lottery thing, anyways point is if you apply you get a log number unless the lottery gets cancelled or something along those lines.
Was it 212 Linden Blvd.? That's the only one that never had a number appear for me out of 88 total lotteries.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Was it 212 Linden Blvd.? That's the only one that never had a number appear for me out of 88 total lotteries.
Nope the one I didn't get a log # for is The Saint Marks APTS in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

None of these lotteries are set in stone. I've received a couple of emails from lotteries that I have applied to that have even changed their AMIs after the application closes. One recently got rid of the lower AMI completely.

It shouldn't be a shocker that sometimes these lotteries get cancelled or take out an entire group by getting rid of an AMI. It happens.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:27 AM

103 posts, read 92,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post

I don't under why people find this lottery system so difficult to understand it's really quite simple.
Right?

Thanks for taking the time to try and explain it, however sometimes I think this information falls on deaf ears.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
Right?

Thanks for taking the time to try and explain it, however sometimes I think this information falls on deaf ears.
No problem! It's really not rocket science, I guess some people really just don't like to read in order to understand and then there are those who just give wrong info and create an even bigger mess lol

Old 10-29-2019, 12:04 PM

23 posts, read 25,047 times
I’ve been called with log numbers 11,xxx, 12,xxx, 15,xxx, and 26,xxx. Declined either because they only had studios left or the “affordable” rent was about the same as market and it wasn’t worth the hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery