Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:02 AM

345 posts, read 853,858 times

Advertisements

Expensive buy-in compared to mitchell lamas. But you can't beat the neighborhood. Income ranges very reasonable. The only thing I don't like about these lotteries is that they are asking for a fee. I always wonder why if you still have a considerable waiting list why are you opening up your list and asking for a fee? $200 per person adds up to a lot. What is done with this money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 12:32 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
Expensive buy-in compared to mitchell lamas. But you can't beat the neighborhood. Income ranges very reasonable. The only thing I don't like about these lotteries is that they are asking for a fee. I always wonder why if you still have a considerable waiting list why are you opening up your list and asking for a fee? $200 per person adds up to a lot. What is done with this money?
It's to cover administrative costs and to show that you are serious about buying an apartment. Keep in mind you don't pay the $200 just to enter the lottery, you only pay if you win and get on the list. If there was no fee, I imagine they'd be flooded with frivolous entries. Also, when you get an apartment, $150 of that fee gets applied to your first months carrying charges.

The apartment costs are indeed higher than other developments, but they are meant to be middle class housing -- and that definition keeps changing.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:48 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
I definitely think I am going to apply to this. Can't hurt to send in a postcard. Very rare that I actually see something in an appealing neighborhood that I qualify for income wise!!!

Old 07-29-2014, 06:39 PM

19 posts, read 31,367 times
Is pennsouth relatively safe? i found that it was just cross the street of the projects Elliott and Chelsea.
How is the quality of the local zone school?

I've never lived near a project or walked through a project and have no idea of the safety around projects. The pennsouth sounds very attractive in terms of location and the price and the green space in the complex. However, the safety issue and the quality of local zoned school may keep me at bay.

Can anyone talk about the safety around penn south and the quality of the zone local schools?

Myself is currently living at Jackson Heights and always want to move to Manhattan to shorten the commute. The prime neighborhoods are too expensive for me. I will not move my home from Jackson Heights to upper manhattan due to my own perceived safety issue and quality of local zone schools in the upper manhattan neighborhoods.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post

If you want to back out at any time and have your name pulled from the list (like if you got into ANOTHER one), just notify them and they'll promptly give you $150 of the $200 back.

Quote:

Expensive buy-in compared to mitchell lamas.
From what I have heard that is because of the immense capital expense of an independent HVAC/electrical cogeneration system that will save them millions in maintenance costs.

Does Penn-South have 24 hour doormen for all the buildings?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson_heights View Post
Is pennsouth relatively safe? i found that it was just cross the street of the projects Elliott and Chelsea.
How is the quality of the local zone school?

I've never lived near a project or walked through a project and have no idea of the safety around projects. The pennsouth sounds very attractive in terms of location and the price and the green space in the complex. However, the safety issue and the quality of local zoned school may keep me at bay.

Can anyone talk about the safety around penn south and the quality of the zone local schools?

Myself is currently living at Jackson Heights and always want to move to Manhattan to shorten the commute. The prime neighborhoods are too expensive for me. I will not move my home from Jackson Heights to upper manhattan due to my own perceived safety issue and quality of local zone schools in the upper manhattan neighborhoods.
Penn South is no less safe than the rest of Chelsea--which is to say it's pretty safe. Since the people who live in the complex are homeowners and not rental tenants, residents are active and don't tolerate vandalism, harassment etc. We have our own armed security staff that patrol the area and monitor camera feeds throughout. I'm not saying crime doesn't happen here because it occasionally does - but I don't know any part of the city that you could leave your door unlocked. I've not had a problem with people from the projects but there are issues there from time to time--usually involving other residents from the projects. I think when compared to other NYCHA housing, the Elliot Chelsea houses are *relatively* tame--most of the time.

Part of what has changed in recent years is the fact that there are tons more people living and working west of the complex in an area that was once a dead industrial zone and which used to be abandoned at night. Now it's art galleries, luxury housing and offices. There are a *lot* more people around and that alone increases safety.

I can't provide much information about the schools because I don't have kids, but I do know that different buildings lie in different school zones. I know that people have sometimes moved within the complex to change schools -- so I would assume some are better than others.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM

345 posts, read 853,858 times
One thing you can do is attend the local precients monthly meeting to see what major issues are in the area. You can also attend the community board meetings.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Doormen in the buildings?

Old 07-30-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Doormen in the buildings?
No doormen. There is a touchscreen that you use to contact a resident who can open the door for you.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,617 times
Hello

I sent a post card in for a one bedroom. My friend who lives at the same address did as well. Do you think we will be disqualified being we live at the same address? We are separate buyers.

Also I have been on wait lists for many places since 1998. I was told they cant find me in any system when I call trying to find out status. These things are such bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery