Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 12:06 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Meet your new neighbors!

City is doubling down on their efforts to force homeless into luxury housing, informing buildings that received city funding and have unfilled units to make room...

Oh this is so going to be good watching how this rolls out.

https://therealdeal.com/2020/02/19/n...less-families/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 12:32 PM

515 posts, read 525,296 times
Crazy. I can't even apply for the Dime building because it only has 130% AMI units.
I think it's possible for them to maybe fill the units with lottery applicants though.

When they say homeless it doesn't necessarily mean the homeless man that smells really bad down the block with no shoes and holes in their clothes, it can be a single mother with 5 kids who only makes minimum wage who left a her husband over domestic violence.

Looks like these developers will be payed by the city anyways lol and in Williamsburg half the people that live there(hipsters) look homeless anyways. They'll be okay.

The developers can always withdraw from the program altogether.
I think if most developers went with 60% to 100% AMI units will always be filled via the lottery.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:42 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,860,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Crazy. I can't even apply for the Dime building because it only has 130% AMI units.
I think it's possible for them to maybe fill the units with lottery applicants though.

When they say homeless it doesn't necessarily mean the homeless man that smells really bad down the block with no shoes and holes in their clothes, it can be a single mother with 5 kids who only makes minimum wage who left a her husband over domestic violence.

Looks like these developers will be payed by the city anyways lol and in Williamsburg half the people that live there(hipsters) look homeless anyways. They'll be okay.

The developers can always withdraw from the program altogether.
I think if most developers went with 60% to 100% AMI units will always be filled via the lottery.
I'm certainly not going to group anyone and it sucks that this is what I have to go with but - I have one person living next to me, that was is an ex convict and was homeless prior to moving into my building. Any issues on my floor - he is the cause (loud music and marijuana smoking) so much so that my other neighbor's daughter won't sleep in her room because of this. There is a woman with several kids that was homeless, every time you hear about an issue especially where the police have come, (double digit numbers already) it's always HER apartment. As bad as my neighbor is, I have to remind myself that, that woman could be my neighbor and then it would be 10 times worse.

I don't judge economic circumstances, I judge behavior. I will definitely take care in knowing who my next potential neighbor will be.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I'm certainly not going to group anyone and it sucks that this is what I have to go with but - I have one person living next to me, that was is an ex convict and was homeless prior to moving into my building. Any issues on my floor - he is the cause (loud music and marijuana smoking) so much so that my other neighbor's daughter won't sleep in her room because of this. There is a woman with several kids that was homeless, every time you hear about an issue especially where the police have come, (double digit numbers already) it's always HER apartment. As bad as my neighbor is, I have to remind myself that, that woman could be my neighbor and then it would be 10 times worse.

I don't judge economic circumstances, I judge behavior. I will definitely take care in knowing who my next potential neighbor will be.
Yeah that sucks. Obliviously no two people in homeless shelters will be the same.
I in no way was trying to justify what the city is doing and I agree with you that judging by economic circumstances is not the way to go because you never know what the actual reason for someone to be without a home is.
I agree with you 100% on judging your neighbor by their behavior and honestly those tenants in your building sound like a nightmare and if I were a developer those would be the people I don't want in my building and as a tenant those are the type of people I don't want to live next door to.

In this situation I think the city is going to have to allow developers to put some type of clause in their lease or somewhere that will be easily enforceable to evict tenants that cause issues like that after serval warnings.

I foresee developers dropping out of lotteries just so they won't have to put up with people like that.

I've noticed that a lot of the lotteries going up on housing connect lately mainly have been 130% AMI and up and I think the reason for that is not simply just about a developer wanting money, it's about them also trying to keep out tenants like the ones in your building because we know that there are plenty of people who act just like that that have never been homeless or have a criminal record applying to lotteries.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Yeah that sucks. Obliviously no two people in homeless shelters will be the same.
I in no way was trying to justify what the city is doing and I agree with you that judging by economic circumstances is not the way to go because you never know what the actual reason for someone to be without a home is.
I agree with you 100% on judging your neighbor by their behavior and honestly those tenants in your building sound like a nightmare and if I were a developer those would be the people I don't want in my building and as a tenant those are the type of people I don't want to live next door to.

In this situation I think the city is going to have to allow developers to put some type of clause in their lease or somewhere that will be easily enforceable to evict tenants that cause issues like that after serval warnings.

I foresee developers dropping out of lotteries just so they won't have to put up with people like that.

I've noticed that a lot of the lotteries going up on housing connect lately mainly have been 130% AMI and up and I think the reason for that is not simply just about a developer wanting money, it's about them also trying to keep out tenants like the ones in your building because we know that there are plenty of people who act just like that that have never been homeless or have a criminal record applying to lotteries.
Based on my experience and the fact that the loser next to me is on welfare and is an issue and I'm paying thousands a month, and he behaves like a jerk, I'm all for it. Yes, you are correct, if they were not previously homeless or in prison and behave that way, I would still feel the same way.

Someone else in my building with a son and is on welfare - you would never know it, again, behavior is very telling... BTW, my building is 8/20, you just sometimes get scr*wed with a shyte neighbor.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:31 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
(a) The article says that these placements will only occur if the units go unfilled, and Essex Crossing says it's got a long waiting list and won't be affected. Great reading comprehension, guys!

(b) Take your nastiness back to the main forum. These days, most people are little more than a few months' missed paychecks from homelessness. Being ****ty about the homeless won't protect you. I live in Essex Crossing and, if they want to fill units with homeless people generally, I don't care. You're equally likely to get terrible behavior from idiot rich kids whose parents are suckers enough to subsidize market-rate $6K/mo. one-beds to keep their kids close to Hell Square.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
(a) The article says that these placements will only occur if the units go unfilled, and Essex Crossing says it's got a long waiting list and won't be affected. Great reading comprehension, guys!

(b) Take your nastiness back to the main forum. These days, most people are little more than a few months' missed paychecks from homelessness. Being ****ty about the homeless won't protect you. I live in Essex Crossing and, if they want to fill units with homeless people generally, I don't care. You're equally likely to get terrible behavior from idiot rich kids whose parents are suckers enough to subsidize market-rate $6K/mo. one-beds to keep their kids close to Hell Square.
(a) Who are you talking to about nastiness? Slow your roll and think again. I don’t give two craps about who has money, I made my point based the behavior of who lives next to me and who has caused problems in the building that I LIVE IN.

(b) Opinions are like are a**holes everyone has one. You don't like mine. TOO BAD.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:

(C) “ About 200 vacant units were eligible as of Friday” so your reading comprehension isn’t that great either since you missed the part that there’s already apartments in past luxury buildings that are empty because they have higher AMIs that are harder to fill.

Obviously the two buildings mentioned in the article are set as examples since the lotteries are still on going Those two buildings have higher AMIs and history shows that they are harder to fill, literally states it in the article.

And no one said anything bad about the homeless so again YOUR reading comprehension isn’t that great. Geesh. Like I said in my previous comment homeless doesn’t necessarily mean the bum guy that smells that you see every day down the block. It can be a single mom with multiples kids who can only make minimum wage and obviously there’s nothing wrong that.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:22 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Stop embarrassing yourselves defending a subject line like "Essex Crossing and Dime in Williamsburg First Luxury "Affordable Lottery" Buildings Forced To Accept Homeless". Spokesmen for Dime AND Essex said they won't be affected:

"But a spokesperson for The Dime project said its affordable units are likely to be filled by the usual lottery process before HPD makes them available to shelter residents. “The developers of The Dime believe that given the number of applications, there will be more than enough qualified candidates to fill the 54 apartments,” the spokesperson said, noting that 12,500 applications have been received since the lottery opened Jan. 28.

A spokesperson for Delancey Street Associates, the owner of Essex Crossing, said the development has “zero vacancies” among middle income units and has a “significant” waitlist of qualified tenants.

“We have no reason to believe that Essex Crossing will be impacted by this new policy,” the spokesperson said."

It's right in the article--if you have the attention span to read past the first paragraph.

BugsyPal posted a straight-up lie on purpose to stir **** and give you guys an excuse to say nasty stuff about the homeless--oh, but only SOME of the homeless, of course. And you all certainly rushed to show your characters. Seriously, go be racist/classist in the main forum and leave the affordable housing people alone.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:

BugsyPal posted a straight-up lie on purpose to stir **** and give you guys an excuse to say nasty stuff about the homeless--oh, but only SOME of the homeless, of course. And you all certainly rushed to show your characters. Seriously, go be racist/classist in the main forum and leave the affordable housing people alone.
Are you okay? Are you having a bad day?

Because you have me super confused. Did Bugsypal write the article that he/she posted? Essex and the Dime were in the title because those were the two buildings mentioned in the article.
You’re going off your rocket over nothing because nothing negative was said.

FYI I apply to housing lotteries on a regular basis and I don’t qualify for anything above maybe 100% AMI at most. We ALL have a right to be here and respond to whatever thread we want and give our opinions just as much as you do. You felt super insulted as if it was a direct attack to you which is crazy because again NOTHING NEGATIVE has been said. So stop the melodrama. If you’re not going to be an adult and add valuable input to the conversation than keep it moving.

And real question have you ever even volunteered at a homeless shelter?? Because I have. My family owns TWO building used for housing the homeless here in NYC. I’ve seen the good, bad and the ugly parts of it.

You said that all Bugsypal was trying to do was stir things up and honestly you’re no better them him/her after your ignorant responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery