Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 05:49 PM

23 posts, read 29,019 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I've been in the process for six years... yes six. Interviewing for over a year. Yes a year. I'm grateful, but so so tired.

I've been reading through the many threads here but have not been able to get the answers I've been seeking. So, my apologies to those who have already answered the following but would much appreciate your advice and help, have read so so many threads.

If/When, you are asked to view the apartment... does that mean the city has already processed your application or does that happen after?

When would one potentially sign the lease? Around the same time as viewing the apartment or will it be another period of waiting....

If you get to sign, after you sign, whats the average time before moving in? Like min 30 days or etc....

Do you guys sign one or two year leases, is there a preference?

Has anyone skipped looking at the apartment? (with everything that's going on... I know many offices are closed etc.)

I think that's all.. Thank you again for those who took the time to read and answer. I've lived at 12 different apartments... no, rooms within apartments lol in a handful of years, I know many are worse off but I would be so grateful and am so ready to have a place of my own. Feels like I'm close to the finish line or can see the light at the end of the tunnel but its getting harder and harder to wait, as I'm sure many understand who have been through this process. Its like a mini Olympics of will lol

Thanks again! Hope you are all well, safe, and healthy!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 07:33 AM

89 posts, read 84,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vas51879 View Post
Hi all!

I've been in the process for six years... yes six. Interviewing for over a year. Yes a year. I'm grateful, but so so tired.

I've been reading through the many threads here but have not been able to get the answers I've been seeking. So, my apologies to those who have already answered the following but would much appreciate your advice and help, have read so so many threads.

If/When, you are asked to view the apartment... does that mean the city has already processed your application or does that happen after?

When would one potentially sign the lease? Around the same time as viewing the apartment or will it be another period of waiting....

If you get to sign, after you sign, whats the average time before moving in? Like min 30 days or etc....

Do you guys sign one or two year leases, is there a preference?

Has anyone skipped looking at the apartment? (with everything that's going on... I know many offices are closed etc.)

I think that's all.. Thank you again for those who took the time to read and answer. I've lived at 12 different apartments... no, rooms within apartments lol in a handful of years, I know many are worse off but I would be so grateful and am so ready to have a place of my own. Feels like I'm close to the finish line or can see the light at the end of the tunnel but its getting harder and harder to wait, as I'm sure many understand who have been through this process. Its like a mini Olympics of will lol

Thanks again! Hope you are all well, safe, and healthy!
Hey! I myself have been going through the "lottery" wheel for about 10years now and I was finally awarded an apartment (2 bedroon) this past January. I will tell you that not one persons experience is like the other or will be like yours. I looked for answers and guidance too on these threads but to be honest; each management company handles things differently and in a different order. Some view apartments b4 lease singing some after, this is only MY experience so use it as a guide but not to be exact with what might be your experience.
For me I viewed the apartment 2 months before I signed my lease. I viewed in November and thought I had it in the bag but my agent still was asking for updated documents to be signed, faxed, emailed, etc I don't think I was approved by the city 100% at that point...It wasn't until January that I was called in to sign the lease. If you're lucky your agent will give you a "heads up" and tell you around when to have your money ready. I literally went on my lunch break signed the lease and got my keys, after that you can move in when you like unless your building has certain restrictions. If you dont have the rent up front at signing they give you 5 days until they give the apartment up. For my building we had the choice to do one year or two year leases whichever you prefer. I hope I covered everything without going off on my own rant lol What management company is your current interview with?

Old 03-23-2020, 09:09 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,733,403 times
My building started the leases on the day you signed, which is beyond annoying because, depending on timing, you might find yourself paying double rent for a month.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:46 AM

23 posts, read 29,019 times
Thank you both for your reply! @randomperson2 I could have never imagined that to even be an option... thanks for sharing.

Hoping you are both loving your homes!

Apart from the pandemic and all... I'm still hoping to move the process along and would definitely appreciate sooner rather than later for move-in but a lot of things have greatly shifted from what we once thought only a few weeks ago.

Am sending pace, health, and safety well wishes to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: