Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 06:01 PM

319 posts, read 400,388 times

Advertisements

I live in a studio now
I just got a letter that they gonna raise the price after just a year.
I'm fking done. Hope I can get a one bedroom before I sign that lease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 11:30 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4US View Post
I live in a studio now
That happens in any apartment....The rent goes up every year

Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 AM

103 posts, read 92,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
I used to live in one many years past. I sworn never again, I really despice the idea of combined living and bedroom areas.. and my luck I finally get picked for a lottery and my oh my I get offer a frigging Studio unit.
If you felt that passionately that you swore you'd never live in one again, I don't think I'd do it.

I know how long we all wait to get picked for a lottery, but if you aren't miserable in your current place, I don't know if it would be worth the risk.

EDITED TO ADD:

The layout and size of the studio can make a huge difference. My friend lives in a 350 sq. ft. box and I would go INSANE living there. But I've see really big alcove studios online that seem nice. Depends how much you can work with the space to create different "areas" to live in. I just don't know if I'd trust a lottery apartment to be big enough, since a lot of the luxury buildings have tiny apartments.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4US View Post
I live in a studio now
Your rent will almost always go up at lease renewal, even if rent stabilized unless the Rent Guidelines Board votes for a 0% increase (as they might in June, starting October). I believe rent stabilized increases are currently at 1.5% on a one year lease and 2.5% on a two year lease. If you are rent stabilized and the increase is more than 1.5% for a one year (wouldn't go for a 2 year as a rent freeze is likely next year), I would file a complaint... If you are not rent stabilized, then the landlord can raise it to whatever they want - you could try to negotiate a lower increase though.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:46 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I feel like if anything, this situation has shown how little you really need. I personally feel the more room you have the more stuff you get. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of stuff in my studio but it's stuff that I use or I get rid of it.
Yes, I got rid of so much accumulated stuff last year when I moved, even though it was from a studio to another studio - had been in my previous apartment for 19 years so it was really a lot of stuff. Plus the closets were cavernous, it was just a lot of stuff I hadn't touched in years - current place has good closet space for a modern studio but still not as much as my previous place so I have to be on top of accumulating stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
This is actually true. I was never really in my bedroom either. I actually spent most of my time in the dining room which is where my computer was. The studio that I’m in now is very quiet. Oh well.... I guess I don’t understand my own psychology.
My current studio is around 480 sq. ft. but has a good layout for creating zones, when I looked at it I immediately knew what was going where, am spending a lot of time in the "office zone" these days of course. I am thankful that mine is very quiet as well despite being on a main street, good construction and noise dampening windows. My old apartment had really thin walls and ceilings, could hear everything from my neighbors, plus it was on the first floor next to the elevator so a lot of foot traffic was by my door.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 1,945 times
I resided in a beautiful prewar one bedroom rent stabilized apt. Paying 1,600 a month. The intention was my daughter was expected to come live with me once I was settled. For several yrs I was able to afford the rent and then lost my job and started using up my savings. Fast forward I was offered a one bedroom apt but the org overseeing the lottery intentionally stalled the process and now I'm stuck in a tiny a$$ studio. they lied endlessly. "No more one bdrm available".
I decided to take it for several reasons. Rent is several hundred less.. I'm able to save much more. Rent increase 1-3%. Beautiful view. Short walk to work. 24hr security. Clean premises. Weigh your pros and cons.
Hope it worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: