Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 4,312 times

Advertisements

After years of entering the housing lottery I have finally ended up with three low log numbers: 295, 262, and 7: meanwhile, I've been furloughed from my job. Does anyone know how they calculate unemployment as income for a single person that is not self-employed? Also, the BSM Central Harlem lottery (I'm #7 and currently in preliminary processing)ended up having 1 available 1-bedroom in my income range ($72-107,000) for $2030/month: it doesn't seem to be that much below market! I don't want to say I'm disappointed yet but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
It's possible that I will return to my job within the next month but not guaranteed - will I be passed over? I'd appreciate any feedback and will share my ongoing experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 06:16 PM

207 posts, read 263,205 times
Check this video. She recently did another one with link on where the info are
https://youtu.be/_RN4TTENtKo

Old 05-27-2020, 06:47 PM

105 posts, read 126,708 times
She could shave 25 mins off these videos but I appreciate her dedication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyLife2 View Post
Check this video. She recently did another one with link on where the info are
https://youtu.be/_RN4TTENtKo

Old 05-27-2020, 06:51 PM

105 posts, read 126,708 times
A 15 minute lecture telling applicants to google.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:11 PM

6,696 posts, read 6,058,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCRob View Post
After years of entering the housing lottery I have finally ended up with three low log numbers: 295, 262, and 7: meanwhile, I've been furloughed from my job. Does anyone know how they calculate unemployment as income for a single person that is not self-employed? Also, the BSM Central Harlem lottery (I'm #7 and currently in preliminary processing)ended up having 1 available 1-bedroom in my income range ($72-107,000) for $2030/month: it doesn't seem to be that much below market! I don't want to say I'm disappointed yet but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
It's possible that I will return to my job within the next month but not guaranteed - will I be passed over? I'd appreciate any feedback and will share my ongoing experiences!
They calculate based on estimate: So lets say - before being furloughed, you made 10K a month, which equals to 120K a year, but then unfortunately you have been furloughed lets say in March, and in March you receive an unemployment income of 4K - your average will be the 10K x the months you've been employed plus the 4K that you've been unemployed - for the rest of the year.

So if you got laid off on March 1, your income will be (10,000 x 2) or January and February's full employment income + (4,000 x 10) for the rest of the year - totaling at $60,000. So if you put on your application that you've made 120K a year, you will only be eligible for anything (at the moment) within an income range (AMI) of 60K

Unemployment is calculated on an annualized basis to get an estimate for yearly household income. In other words they are taking whatever unemployment is being or will be reported to the IRS and making up a yearly income based upon same.

Otherwise, you may have to get a letter from Human Resources stating when you will be re-employed as they have to calculate your income 12 months in advance.

Hope this helps, and best to you. I hope you get it!

Old 05-27-2020, 09:10 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,757,262 times
NYCRob: the higher-band apartments are often not great deals in the sense of being way cheaper than market, though they are (by NYC standards) usually good value for the money. However, they are all rent-stabilized. That's worth taking into account in your calculus.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:56 PM

100 posts, read 138,534 times
If you have a low log # and your income is now lower than it was before....Then I would use the unemployment for a lower rent amount. Your rent is determined by how much you make currently and it will not change (in most cases) after you have an income increase or decrease. But if your current income makes you ineligible then you should tell them that you will likely return to work.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 5,418 times
I’m 1xx let me know if they started calling people with numbers that high so I can know what to expect thank you stay safe

Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 PM

8 posts, read 11,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCRob View Post
As someone who is in a lottery apartment and lost two lottery apartments from making too much, I can tell you they take income very seriously and there are NO exceptions.

They calculate income three ways, then use the highest of those incomes to determine which apartment you qualify for.

They take your W2 income... Then they take six pay stubs and multiply that by the remaining number of pay periods... Then they take your highest paystub (with over time) and multiply that by how many pay periods in a year. For example, if you have two months of overtime paid out in one pay period, and they multiply that by 23, and they determine you can make 40k more than they calculated the other two ways, they will go with that, no questions asked.

In your case, I think what they may find challenging is determining which income bracket you qualify for, since you are between jobs. As long as your unemployment covers rent, it should be fine.

I hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery