U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 03:12 PM

21 posts, read 9,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by besosjagger View Post
Riverwalk reached out to me 4/12/2021 general email if we’re still interested and submit documents. After a few weeks we got a call to set up and view the unit on 05/15/2021 with Jeremy. We’re eligible for a three bedroom however they only have two bedrooms available which is fine for us. We’re in the 165% AREA MEDIAN INCOME (AMI). We love the unit, management company seems great and fell in love with the island. We don’t mind the space probably cause we’re a very minimalist family. I felt a little discounted due to our log number being so high 31,000s however Jeremy let us know remain optimistic and they will be in contact with us we signed some hdc and income forms. Hopefully they will reach back out when they reached our log number.
You want to live in a smaller unit then the one you have? Sounds like a downgrade to me. Are you a rental subsidy tenant? If so, you have options. I wish I had that. Sheesh. I know people who live in beautifully spacious units with a rental subsidy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 02:44 PM

28 posts, read 16,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
This is very interesting. I heard that many 80/20s keep the poor separated from market rate tenants. They used to do this by implementing “poor doors” but that has been made illegal with the revised 421 tax breaks. Now, developers have cleverly gone all out to keep poor buildings instead of a single poor door to keep up with the separation (which sadly they do as many of their wealthy tenants don’t want to live with poor people).

Check out the article below:

“what began as a “poor door” has now evolved into the concept of a “poor building.”

https://citylimits.org/2019/11/04/op...oor-buildings/
Wow such an interesting weird. Horrible

Old 05-24-2021, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 2,353 times
Quote:
This is very interesting. I heard that many 80/20s keep the poor separated from market rate tenants. They used to do this by implementing “poor doors” but that has been made illegal with the revised 421 tax breaks. Now, developers have cleverly gone all out to keep poor buildings instead of a single poor door to keep up with the separation (which sadly they do as many of their wealthy tenants don’t want to live with poor people).

Check out the article below:

“what began as a “poor door” has now evolved into the concept of a “poor building.”

https://citylimits.org/2019/11/04/op...oor-buildings/
Honestly not opposed to this.

I live in a low income building, and the people here don't give a crap about common decency and respect for living with others. Marijuana smoke fills the halls daily and music is played at concert level at all times of the day.

If I payed 5k rent for a 1 bed and had to live with that, those apartments would be continually empty.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:04 PM

92 posts, read 127,825 times
Yup there are 1 bed, 2 bed and 3 beds available in 165 AMI.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:20 PM

4,364 posts, read 3,608,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglion View Post

I live in a low income building, and the people here don't give a crap about common decency and respect for living with others. Marijuana smoke fills the halls daily and music is played at concert level at all times of the day.

If I payed 5k rent for a 1 bed and had to live with that, those apartments would be continually empty.
Yes, I understand. That’s why personally I won’t apply for a lottery apartment in a distressed community with CB preference or for a building with more 40, 60, and 80% AMIs than 100, 120 or 165%.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:57 PM

125 posts, read 46,034 times
Quote:

Facts

Old 05-24-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:

I get it. I feel the same about those types of tenants. A while back, I did see ghetto ass tenants coming out of the RI Riverwalk affordable housing building talking all loud and smelling like weed. They should put all those ghetto ass people in NYCHA and everyone else who are just low income and cause no problems should get the new affordable housing units. I'm sick of those nycha types. they make all low income look bad.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand. That’s why personally I won’t apply for a lottery apartment in a distressed community with CB preference or for a building with more 40, 60, and 80% AMIs than 100, 120 or 165%.
I need to do the same!

Old 05-24-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtowin View Post
Yup there are 1 bed, 2 bed and 3 beds available in 165 AMI.
How do you know? is this recent information?

Old 05-24-2021, 09:20 PM

125 posts, read 46,034 times
Quote:

Facts I would never live in a low income building again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery