Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 06:45 PM

42 posts, read 37,073 times

Advertisements

Hey y’all! I got some great news!!!

My girlfriend and I got just got approved by NYC HOUSING & the HPD today!!!
We are about to sign the lease ASAP!!

The whole process from receiving the email that we’ve been picked from the lottery all the way until getting approved and signing the lease was an ASTONISHING 2 1/2 weeks!!!

We’ve been picked for 2 apartments prior to this one and also just got approved to the 505 Union building yesterday in a matter of a year and a half!!!

We were qualified for the 1 bedroom apartment, and the 2 bedroom apartment. Not knowing what the apartments looked like since there was no information online AT ALL... we walked our dog and checked the building Since we knew the address 2 days before our open house viewing. What we say was floor to ceiling windows on a 3 story building so we could clearly see inside. Finding out that the apartments in the front had a staircase. At first we thought it was just the staircase to get from floor to floor, but then we examined it a bit more and found out it was 2 duplexes!!! From our past experiences of TINY/NAUSEATINGLY small apartments we said “ yeeea ok... there might be 2 bedroom apartments but def not the duplexes.

2 days later we arrive at the open house and my girlfriend says “if the 2 bedroom ends up being the duplex, we’re taking it!”. The realtor takes us up the stairs and I’m saying to myself “ please make that right into the first floor!!!” Next thing you know, he takes us into the same exact duplex that we kept looking at from the street view!!!! My girlfriend and I looked at each other with that “ OMG WHAAAAT!!!“ Face and couldn’t believe it. It was an amazing apartment and we couldn’t believe it. It also ended up having 2 full bathrooms, big walk in closets in each bedroom, and a crazy 2 leveled rooftop.

We live a 10 minute walk away from the building so on Sunday we decided to check it out from the street again Lmaoo. We get there and we saw the lights on in the duplex next to the one we were shown. In less than 10 seconds we saw a mom and her daughter a bit lost looking at adress numbers... a different realtor comes out the building and calls them to come inside. The apartments ended up going on the market that weekend and when we got home we got to see the listings.

That open house was last Tuesday. The thing was we were the 3rd To pick out of 3 applicants on the list of 3 units available. Two 1 bedrooms
One 2 bedroom 2 baths duplex
So our chances of getting the duplex was slim to none.
We ended up getting approved by NYHousing in 2 days (Thursday) and they said we’ll be hearing from the buildings Board by next Thursday (today) if we got approved or not.
6:05 we get an email saying congrats and to email the board to sign the lease....

Just wanted to share our miracle and give hope to everyone out there. It is possible to get a dream home through NYHOUSING CONNECT and it goes to show the process can be 10 yrs on a waiting list or even 2 weeks!!!

Life is good y’all!!! Spreading Positive vibes to you and yours!!!

Last edited by Poutines_Dad; 08-13-2020 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 06:51 PM

9 posts, read 10,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutines_Dad View Post

The whole process from receiving the email that we’ve been picked from the lottery all the way until getting approved and signing the lease was an ASTONISHING 2 1/2 weeks!!!

We’ve been picked for 2 apartments prior to this one and also just got approved to the 505 Union building yesterday in a matter of a year and a half!!!

We were qualified for the 1 bedroom apartment, and the 2 bedroom apartment. Not knowing what the apartments looked like since there was no information online AT ALL... we walked our dog and checked the building Since we knew the address 2 days before our open house viewing. What we say was floor to ceiling windows on a 3 story building so we could clearly see inside. Finding out that the apartments in the front had a staircase. At first we thought it was just the staircase to get from floor to floor, but then we examined it a bit more and found out it was 2 duplexes!!! From our past experiences of TINY/NAUSEATINGLY small apartments we said “ yeeea ok... there might be 2 bedroom apartments but def not the duplexes.

2 days later we arrive at the open house and my girlfriend says “if the 2 bedroom ends up being the duplex, we’re taking it”. The realtor takes us up the stairs and I’m saying to myself “ please make that right into the first floor!!!” Next thing you know, he takes us into the same exact duplex that we kept looking at from the street view!!!! My girlfriend and I looked at each other with that “ OMG WHAAAAT!!!“ Face and couldn’t believe it. It was an amazing apartment and we couldn’t believe it. It also ended up having 2 full bathrooms, big walk in closets in each bedroom, and a crazy 2 leveled rooftop

That open house was last Tuesday. The thing was we were the 3rd To pick out of 3 applicants on the list of 3 units available. Two 1 bedrooms
We ended up getting approved by NYHousing in 2 days (Thursday) and they said we’ll be hearing from the buildings Board by next Thursday (today) if we got approved or not.
6:05 we get an email saying congrats and to email the board to sign the lease....

Just wanted to share our miracle and give hope to everyone out there. It is possible to get a dream home through NYHOUSING CONNECT and it goes to show the process can be 10 yrs on a waiting list or even 2 weeks!!!

congratulations of the apartment its great to hear good news during these times prayers to you and your family Thank you for the update on how the process goes

Old 08-13-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble12 View Post
congratulations of the apartment its great to hear good news during these times prayers to you and your family Thank you for the update on how the process goes

Thank youuu!! I also forgot to mention., everything during these times is done through email so I think that also helped us. No interview dates so that def sped up the process

Old 08-13-2020, 08:36 PM

Did anyone else on here get chosen for the lottery in this building?

Old 08-14-2020, 12:34 AM

3,184 posts, read 2,807,467 times
Congratulations! Always good to see someone happy with their result.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Congratulations! Always good to see someone happy with their result.
Thank you! The apartment gods were on our side!

Old 08-16-2020, 01:43 PM

42 posts, read 59,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutines_Dad View Post

2 days later we arrive at the open house and my girlfriend says “if the 2 bedroom ends up being the duplex, we’re taking it!”. The realtor takes us up the stairs and I’m saying to myself “ please make that right into the first floor!!!” Next thing you know, he takes us into the same exact duplex that we kept looking at from the street view!!!! My girlfriend and I looked at each other with that “ OMG WHAAAAT!!!“ Face and couldn’t believe it. It was an amazing apartment and we couldn’t believe it. It also ended up having 2 full bathrooms, big walk in closets in each bedroom, and a crazy 2 leveled rooftop.

We live a 10 minute walk away from the building so on Sunday we decided to check it out from the street again Lmaoo. We get there and we saw the lights on in the duplex next to the one we were shown. In less than 10 seconds we saw a mom and her daughter a bit lost looking at adress numbers... a different realtor comes out the building and calls them to come inside. The apartments ended up going on the market that weekend and when we got home we got to see the listings.

Yessssssss!!! This is such an awesome and inspiring story!! Congratulations to you both. May you have many years of happiness in your new home! Accepting all those positive vibes you're spreading!!!

Old 08-17-2020, 06:16 AM

[quote=BlessedBeyondMeasure;58920229]Yessssssss!!! This is such an awesome and inspiring story!! Congratulations to you both. May you have many years of happiness in your new home! Accepting all those positive vibes you're spreading!!! [/QUOTE

We appreciate the love, and thanks for taking the time to read our experience!!!

Here’s a link to the apartments in our building for some visuals:

https://streeteasy.com/building/179-...ection=rentals

Old 09-03-2020, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 1,460 times
I got chosen for this apartment (1BD) but not able to see the unit immediately as I live so far away from here, it's an effort to go out there. Thinking to pass given the rent is little high but location is good so still deciding. Original poster, have you seen the 1BD unit? And also when are you moving in? (They're requesting to move in Sept for me) And congrats BTW again for your 2BD!!

Old 09-03-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmk1010 View Post
I got chosen for this apartment (1BD) but not able to see the unit immediately as I live so far away from here, it's an effort to go out there. Thinking to pass given the rent is little high but location is good so still deciding. Original poster, have you seen the 1BD unit? And also when are you moving in? (They're requesting to move in Sept for me) And congrats BTW again for your 2BD!!
Ayyye! Damn I wanna know my housing neighbors already! Lmao... it is pretty steep, I’m not gonna lie. Although the one bedroom is identical to the two bedroom just without the staircase and high ceilings/extra bedroom. Not too sure if it’s worth the amount they’re asking for though. Maybe if there was a gym and other luxury amenities that came with the building. We’re moving in October 1st. That’s weird that they wanted you in by September. Lmk if you consider it. They have the listings online as well if you haven’t seen them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: