Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 01:58 PM

72 posts, read 89,717 times

Advertisements

So I’ve been in a lottery studio for a few years now and it’s been great, but after nearly a year of being stuck inside I really wish I had gone with a 1bd (it was originally offered but I requested a studio).

Is it possible to upgrade to a 1bd (if one is available)? I’m not sure if program rules disallow this or if it varies from building to building. And if it is possible what does the process look like and how would they determine rent on a larger unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 02:22 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
It is possible to upgrade to a larger apartment if you qualify for that and one is available.

I'm assuming you mean within your same building or development. If so, it's best to contact your building management to see if there is a waitlist.

You will probably have to go through the whole documentation process again.

Some re-rentals are being handled through the new Housing Connect. Your manager should be able to tell you specifically for your building.

If you just mean you want to move to a larger lottery unit anywhere, you are free to enter new lotteries. The only thing you would have to worry about is breaking your existing lease.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:28 PM

72 posts, read 89,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It is possible to upgrade to a larger apartment if you qualify for that and one is available.

I'm assuming you mean within your same building or development. If so, it's best to contact your building management to see if there is a waitlist.

You will probably have to go through the whole documentation process again.

Some re-rentals are being handled through the new Housing Connect. Your manager should be able to tell you specifically for your building.

If you just mean you want to move to a larger lottery unit anywhere, you are free to enter new lotteries. The only thing you would have to worry about is breaking your existing lease.
Yeah I would be looking for a unit within my existing building. My income has gone up a bit since I moved in a few years ago, which I think puts me in the next income level (though only a few thousand more)... so if I need to go through the whole process from square one and pay rent at the higher income level it probably doesn’t make sense to do this... that a lone makes me hesitant to even reach out to the manager just out of paranoia (even though it’s not against the current rules and irrational)

Old 02-23-2021, 02:33 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Yes, a friend of mine is in a similar position. She's in a lottery studio, and her boyfriend eventually moved in. So to move to a larger lottery apartment, both their incomes would be counted, and they would make too much money.

How much more rent would you have to pay? It might be worth it for a larger unit.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:10 PM

50 posts, read 54,085 times
Depends on the management, i was in this same situation 2 years ago. I asked management to put me on the waiting list for an one bedroom . They told me they would but i thought they were lying, after waiting for a year and half hoping they will call they never did and i end up moving out because i needed space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery