Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 08:25 PM

603 posts, read 603,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Also rent stabilized apartments don’t stop at 2800 a month either ...they can be still stabilized and be many more thousands a month .some approach 5k a month .

So still think stabilization is for the poor and low income ?

There are programs like the 421a program that allow developers to put up luxury market rate buildings and in exchange for tax abatements and low financing they agree to allow some of the apartments to go in to an affordable housing program while the whole rest of the development is market price ....all apartments remain stabilized ,even the market ones and only get the rent increases allowed by the board .

Once the tax abatement ends and a tenant moves out ,the apartment is no longer stabilized

How about if the tax abatement ends and the tenant doesnt move out? The apartment stays stabilized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 03:51 AM

106,852 posts, read 109,114,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
How about if the tax abatement ends and the tenant doesnt move out? The apartment stays stabilized?
The short answer is it depends

https://rentguidelinesboard.cityofne...ts-exemptions/

Old 04-07-2021, 07:10 AM

603 posts, read 603,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Thank you for the helpful links!

Old 03-20-2022, 10:20 PM

101 posts, read 116,894 times
Life is too short to be so unhappy! You have a mate, you are not alone, move on and be happy, life is about growing! You are too comfortable, God makes us uncomfortable when he wants us to grow! I think you owe it to yourself to move on now.....best of luck to you! I doubt you will miss this apartment once you go!

Old 03-21-2022, 09:23 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,126,683 times
Here's the possible reason to keep the rent controlled/stabilized apartment.
You meet someone and figure "this is it." Pick one apartment to live in but keep the other for several months. If the arrangement doesn't work out nobody winds up homeless.

In my case we EACH had a rent controlled apartment, him in the Village (small apt on Commerce Street $200) and me in Jersey City Heights (rent controlled larger apartment, $165.) We first tried his place and the location and the nightlife were beyond great but we soon decided too small was untenable. But we paid rent on both places for at least 6 months until we decided on FOREVER.

So make sure of your commitment and THEN abandon your "safety zone."

Never a thought of subletting because becoming a landlord, for me, would be anathema, I'm not bloodthirsty or money-hungry enough.

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-21-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-21-2022, 10:43 AM

6,694 posts, read 6,051,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityowl View Post
I was literally just wondering if anyone who has had a cheap or rent-stabilized apt regretted giving it up, to move on to something larger, more expensive, etc. It is literally the title of the post.
Forgive me if you have already made up your mind, I haven't read the entire thread yet.

I had that problem myself. I had a rent stabilized apartment which was a huge one bedroom and my first. I loved the space, and the fact it even had a dining room. The building was old though and I had the occasional waterbug show up, which for me is a project to take out as I have phobia of those critters.

One day, my ceiling fell in the bathroom due to old plumbing flooding up the place. I later won a lottery for a studio which was $400 more than what I was paying. Long story short, after self-debating like you are, I winded up taking the studio because it was walking distance from my job and everything was brand new. The studio was big, but my old apartment was huge. I did not miss the old apartment at all even though I thought I would.

Reading your initial post I'd say, go for it. Don't worry about the old apartment - let it go. Personally, I would pay double to be in peace. The leaking, vermin and noise is not worth your peace of mind.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:24 AM

101 posts, read 116,894 times
I totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery