Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 08:43 AM

77 posts, read 73,870 times

Advertisements

Good day to all and I hope that it’s lovely so far on this beautiful day ~ It’s currently 70 degrees

I have a question albeit it may a ridiculous one but I’ll brief the scenario before asking the question.

Last year, I won my first lottery apartment after being in the shelter for quite some time. It’s a quaint one bedroom with three of living here. My son who is turning 15 is sharing a room with my 8 year old daughter. I, currently have the living room, obviously. I signed the lease in early summer and didn’t move into September due to some issues with building permits. Once we moved in, everything seemed to be bliss. We have made it work. Fast forward to this current and particular time, I am almost 5 months pregnant (thank you quarantine but congrats to me nonetheless). The issue is not the pregnancy because I’m willing to give birth in this apartment without breaking up my lease. The problem that I might be facing is that I have been contacted by another development that’s not very far away and they requested documents per usual. I feel like this another one of God’s blessings. It hasn’t been a year and another brand new housing lottery has deemed me eligible. As I said before, without this new revelation, I was willing to make the situation work until I found something else on my own. The building I’m currently in has also deemed itself not safe with people breaking into the package room by addicts and their company because unfortunately we don’t have security even though we’re supposed to be provided with such.

So, the question is, if I’m fortunate to be approved once again for this lottery that I sent documents for last week and perhaps God willing a three bedroom due to this new bundle of joy that’s going to arrive ~ Are they penalties for breaking the lease for another apartment? Or should I request a transfer from my program? If I request the transfer from the program, should it be an emergency request? I tried calling these past few days to get some clarity and no one answered the phone to my avail. I probably should ask the management but I don’t want them to give the idea that I might want to do that yet. In the beginning of this journey, I was too excited and didn’t think to even ask them a question like this because what are the chances of being eligible and approved for another lottery 6 months into the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 10:50 AM

134 posts, read 196,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawavvii View Post
Good day to all and I hope that it’s lovely so far on this beautiful day ~ It’s currently 70 degrees

I have a question albeit it may a ridiculous one but I’ll brief the scenario before asking the question.

Last year, I won my first lottery apartment after being in the shelter for quite some time. It’s a quaint one bedroom with three of living here. My son who is turning 15 is sharing a room with my 8 year old daughter. I, currently have the living room, obviously. I signed the lease in early summer and didn’t move into September due to some issues with building permits. Once we moved in, everything seemed to be bliss. We have made it work. Fast forward to this current and particular time, I am almost 5 months pregnant (thank you quarantine but congrats to me nonetheless). The issue is not the pregnancy because I’m willing to give birth in this apartment without breaking up my lease. The problem that I might be facing is that I have been contacted by another development that’s not very far away and they requested documents per usual. I feel like this another one of God’s blessings. It hasn’t been a year and another brand new housing lottery has deemed me eligible. As I said before, without this new revelation, I was willing to make the situation work until I found something else on my own. The building I’m currently in has also deemed itself not safe with people breaking into the package room by addicts and their company because unfortunately we don’t have security even though we’re supposed to be provided with such.

So, the question is, if I’m fortunate to be approved once again for this lottery that I sent documents for last week and perhaps God willing a three bedroom due to this new bundle of joy that’s going to arrive ~ Are they penalties for breaking the lease for another apartment? Or should I request a transfer from my program? If I request the transfer from the program, should it be an emergency request? I tried calling these past few days to get some clarity and no one answered the phone to my avail. I probably should ask the management but I don’t want them to give the idea that I might want to do that yet. In the beginning of this journey, I was too excited and didn’t think to even ask them a question like this because what are the chances of being eligible and approved for another lottery 6 months into the lease?
This should be in your lease. You came in at a certain AMI for a certain size apt, so if you want to transfer to a larger apt I think you have to get on that waitlist in your building or apply as a new applicant. I think regular apts would want you to pay out the rest of your lease or find someone to take over. Check your lease/email your management company to ask

Old 03-11-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starapplez View Post
This should be in your lease. You came in at a certain AMI for a certain size apt, so if you want to transfer to a larger apt I think you have to get on that waitlist in your building or apply as a new applicant. I think regular apts would want you to pay out the rest of your lease or find someone to take over. Check your lease/email your management company to ask
Wonderful response. My thing is I’m not trying to transfer to another apartment in my building that’s larger. I don’t think it would be possible because who’s willing to give up their three bedroom and two bathroom? Everything is filled up. It’s just that I have been contacted by another management with a brand new building. I was contacted through housing connect to submit documents.

So I went over my lease and I guess I found the answer I’ve been looking for. Pretty much says I’m responsible for everything if I decide to move out. Hopefully, I hope the program can give me some type of clarity whenever I do get in touch with someone. I don’t think I can pay rent, pay for furniture, deposits, etc on a new apartment and pay rent the old one until it’s rented out. Plus they said cleaning expenses as well.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:15 PM

134 posts, read 196,159 times
Good luck hon.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:40 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
As I see it, you want to move from one lottery building to another. It's not a transfer, unless you are enrolled in some special program/deal that I'm not aware of.

Like any other renter on the broad market, you can move whenever you like, to wherever you like.

The problem is, of course, that you currently have a lease, which is a legal contract. It's pretty standard to have wording in a lease with penalties for breaking it. Whether the management company will cut you some slack, that's up to them.

There have been quite a few threads on this topic, in case you want to do a search of this forum. Some people found they could leave without any penalty, and others found themselves responsible for the rest of the lease.

After you are sure that you're moving, you should call your management company and see what happens.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:33 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
Yes, you should definitely search these forums for people's stories, which have varied. Prior to the pandemic, I don't know that we saw any stories of buildings giving tenants a hard time about leaving (there's always someone else ready to take the apartment). Since the pandemic started, we have seen some shenanigans, which I recall some folks have successfully thwarted and others partially caved to to simplify things.

Congratulations on your incoming family member! It's wonderful that you might get a bigger place just in time.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
As I see it, you want to move from one lottery building to another. It's not a transfer, unless you are enrolled in some special program/deal that I'm not aware of.

Like any other renter on the broad market, you can move whenever you like, to wherever you like.

The problem is, of course, that you currently have a lease, which is a legal contract. It's pretty standard to have wording in a lease with penalties for breaking it. Whether the management company will cut you some slack, that's up to them.

There have been quite a few threads on this topic, in case you want to do a search of this forum. Some people found they could leave without any penalty, and others found themselves responsible for the rest of the lease.

After you are sure that you're moving, you should call your management company and see what happens.
Yes, I’m on my program that helps me pay the rent. I’m also on public assistance including the program. The program has paid the deposits and everything else to the landlord that needed to be paid like bonuses. They pay their portion and they pay mine every month. I brought up the notion of emergency transfer even though it may not apply to this case is because I’ve heard of people on certain programs as well NYCHA who get approved for certain transfers like safety, new family members being added, not enough adequate space. I only can only find out once I get in touch with someone tomorrow. I’m going to spend my evening researching the forum about this topic

Old 03-11-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Yes, you should definitely search these forums for people's stories, which have varied. Prior to the pandemic, I don't know that we saw any stories of buildings giving tenants a hard time about leaving (there's always someone else ready to take the apartment). Since the pandemic started, we have seen some shenanigans, which I recall some folks have successfully thwarted and others partially caved to to simplify things.

Congratulations on your incoming family member! It's wonderful that you might get a bigger place just in time.
Thank you for the well wishes! Yes, I’m going to spend the time to do more research. I won’t drive myself too crazy until I find out the outcome with this new lottery. I used the search engine at the top and I’m going to read all that’s there that might be beneficial. I might be approved but maybe it will be another situation like this one where it’s only one bedrooms left. It’s in God’s hands. I’m just happy something not even five minutes away contacted me to give me another chance to give a go at it. Though, I’m feeling pretty confident about it because the baby would also add an increase to my benefits my program because of family composition. Plus, my son who has a disability has an advocate this time.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starapplez View Post
Good luck hon.
Thank you love. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery