Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2021, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 7,379 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
My fiance and I recently lost our jobs a week apart from one another, and while my job moved me to another department from full-time to a part-time position we are only on 1 part-time salary and hoping unemployment kicks in. My question is if we get approved for an apartment with our current income and it's given to us before we get unemployment or another job do we lose the apartment when our income changes? We don't want to take an apartment for 700 now only to lose it Right now we are in a studio paying 900. It's just nerve-racking not to know what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 03:40 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
The short answer is no. Once in a while a person will op up and that they need to requalify annually. But I actually don’t think that’s correct.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:01 AM

86 posts, read 75,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The short answer is no. Once in a while a person will op up and that they need to requalify annually. But I actually don’t think that’s correct.
from my understanding when I signed my lease in September, the only thing they ask me to sign off on annually is my student status. only time my income would be asked for is if I decide to add someone to my lease or I transfer to a different unit.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:35 AM

883 posts, read 1,370,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplynaya View Post
Hey all!
My fiance and I recently lost our jobs a week apart from one another, and while my job moved me to another department from full-time to a part-time position we are only on 1 part-time salary and hoping unemployment kicks in. My question is if we get approved for an apartment with our current income and it's given to us before we get unemployment or another job do we lose the apartment when our income changes? We don't want to take an apartment for 700 now only to lose it Right now we are in a studio paying 900. It's just nerve-racking not to know what to expect.
Nope! Once you're in, you're in! Most of these lotteries are rent stabilized which means that whatever the rent guidelines board vote and agree to in terms of rent raises is what will be applied to your lease when it's time to be renewed. You can check to see if the building you're being considered for is rent stabilized, but as far as income goes, they approve you based on what it is now, not what it might be *if* you get unemployment. If you get approved and sign the lease based on your income now, they will not put you out if your income goes up after the fact. Good luck with everything!

Old 03-22-2021, 11:32 AM

88 posts, read 80,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefpatty View Post
from my understanding when I signed my lease in September, the only thing they ask me to sign off on annually is my student status. only time my income would be asked for is if I decide to add someone to my lease or I transfer to a different unit.
When you said, "transfer to a difference unit" does that include wanting bigger space like if you were given a studio because a 1 bd was not available and now one is, you can move in there? or for another particular reason?

Old 03-22-2021, 02:33 PM

86 posts, read 75,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynHopeful27 View Post
When you said, "transfer to a difference unit" does that include wanting bigger space like if you were given a studio because a 1 bd was not available and now one is, you can move in there? or for another particular reason?
yeah you can ask for a larger unit after living in your current unit for at least 2 years. but your latest income would need to match up with the unit's income bracket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery