Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 09:34 AM

199 posts, read 224,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Glad we can help. And Also you should never withdraw your application unless you really just don't want a unit in that building because you never know if someone ends up not qualifying or rejecting a unit and then you're next to qualify.
What should I tell the agent? They send me more paperwork(including the $50 form to get a copy of may taxes) for the studio I qualify under 165%AMI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latidra94 View Post
That's what I'm trying to do as well. I just think you have to be lucky and keep replying in order to get one. It took a long time for my sister to get hers that's why I'm still trying.
I am going to keep trying. I am a single mom and an immigrant. I am no quitter. My determination got my son into private school (with financial aid) and the only thing missing in our life is a nice apartment so we can be close to his school and to my job.

I believed God has plan and there is a special apartment out there sooner or later.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:28 AM

515 posts, read 530,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPNYC View Post
What should I tell the agent? They send me more paperwork(including the $50 form to get a copy of may taxes) for the studio I qualify under 165%AMI.
Ignore the $50 part, you don't actually pay that. But when I was sent that form to sign they were getting ready to send my file to the city for approval. If you are approved and you really don't want the unit that is offered to you then you can request to go on the waitlist but remember getting on the waitlist doesn't mean you'll be called back any time soon. Have you seen the apartment and know for sure you don't want it?

I recently won my first lottery it took me almost 6 years but it was so worth it.
I also am a single mom with 1 and was lucky enough to win a two bed two bath in Greenpoint, Brooklyn but honestly I was already at the point where I would have taken a studio or 1 bedroom in a new luxury building then to be in my old run down prewar building paying more rent than I could afford anymore.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:34 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,098,902 times
Quote:
Most likely that's the case. Even though my number is low all the 100% AMI units were taken by CB. I am glad you explained to me because I assumed 50% of each AMI was reserved to non CB. I want to move this year and I will try to find a market rate in Harlem. There are a lot of good deals and I will keep applying. Maybe once I am in Harlem I will have a better chance to snatch a nicer place.
Thanks for your clarification.
But your log number is extremely low and your ami is good, though. The same thing happened to me at 180 Broome with a low log and 165 ami , so I’d say complain. You have absolutely nothing to lose.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Ignore the $50 part, you don't actually pay that. But when I was sent that form to sign they were getting ready to send my file to the city for approval. If you are approved and you really don't want the unit that is offered to you then you can request to go on the waitlist but remember getting on the waitlist doesn't mean you'll be called back any time soon. Have you seen the apartment and know for sure you don't want it?

I recently won my first lottery it took me almost 6 years but it was so worth it.
I also am a single mom with 1 and was lucky enough to win a two bed two bath in Greenpoint, Brooklyn but honestly I was already at the point where I would have taken a studio or 1 bedroom in a new luxury building then to be in my old run down prewar building paying more rent than I could afford anymore.

I was told by the agent I only qualify for a studio because they don´t consider bonuses. But they placed my on a waiting list for the 100% AMI. A studio is not feasible for me. As much I want to be in Manhattan I have a 1 bedroom apartment in Queens and the price is not terrible. Congratulations on you apartment. Greenpoint is great and to have McCarren Park as your backyard is amazing.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I was told by the agent I only qualify for a studio because they don´t consider bonuses. But they placed my on a waiting list for the 100% AMI. A studio is not feasible for me. As much I want to be in Manhattan I have a 1 bedroom apartment in Queens and the price is not terrible. Congratulations on you apartment. Greenpoint is great and to have McCarren Park as your backyard is amazing.
Job bonuses? If you get a bonus every year from your job then that is certainly supposed to be counted.

Thank you! LOL it really is great to be across the street from McCarren! Saying that my dog and daughter are loving it is an understatement!

Old 04-15-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Job bonuses? If you get a bonus every year from your job then that is certainly supposed to be counted.

Thank you! LOL it really is great to be across the street from McCarren! Saying that my dog and daughter are loving it is an understatement!
I said the same thing. I have the same job for 10 years, but my manager can´t write a letter saying bonuses are guaranteed even though I´ve been getting every single year. I offered to send my paystubs for the last 6-7 years but leasing agent said no. I had an opposite experience at Stuy Town lottery. They did count my bonuses and I didn´t qualify because I was over the income limit

But I will keep applying. I know my day is going to come....

Reading posts like yours just make me happy and gives me hope.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I said the same thing. I have the same job for 10 years, but my manager can´t write a letter saying bonuses are guaranteed even though I´ve been getting every single year. I offered to send my paystubs for the last 6-7 years but leasing agent said no. I had an opposite experience at Stuy Town lottery. They did count my bonuses and I didn´t qualify because I was over the income limit

But I will keep applying. I know my day is going to come....

Reading posts like yours just make me happy and gives me hope.
If you haven't asked HPD about this I think you should definitely contact HPD ASAP and see what they say! I believe you can definitely get it counted if HPD says it must be considered income. I don't know if they're answering calls but I believe you can leave a message and they call you back, they definitely answer via email though.
Tell them the lottery it's for and your log.

It makes no sense for one lottery to count it and another not to.

I've learned that you have to keep pushing for these lotteries until to get a definite no.

212-863-7990 - HPD
nychousingconnect@hpd.nyc.gov

Old 04-17-2021, 05:26 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,098,902 times
Quote:
They can get in a lot of trouble if they are not being honest, so it's really unlikely that they are being dishonest. All these lotteries applications are triple checked before they are even sent to the city for approval.

I think that what most people misunderstand is that when a percentage of apartments are set aside means that if for example there's 100 unit 50% go to CB but that doesn't mean that only 50% in each AMI is set aside. Like for example if its two AMI 100% and 165% and each have 50 unit it doesn't mean 25 units from each will go to CB. It's more of first come first serve type of thing. So if every single person with CB qualifies for the 100% then those will go to them before the general population group is reached.
Now I don't know for certain if that's how every single lottery is done but that's how I seen most if not all.
However you can always ask HPD or HDC to clarify if this is the case.
Sounds interesting but I was under the impression that when 50% of the units have gone to let’s say CB preference, then the rest of the CB people who are left to be processed will be thrown into the regular lottery pool and processed with the non preference population by log number order so as to allow the other 50% to be filled by non preference applicants. Otherwise non preference will never be processed.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Sounds interesting but I was under the impression that when 50% of the units have gone to let’s say CB preference, then the rest of the CB people who are left to be processed will be thrown into the regular lottery pool and processed with the non preference population by log number order so as to allow the other 50% to be filled by non preference applicants. Otherwise non preference will never be processed.
Yeah I agree with what you are saying and I also believe that to be the case but that wasn't what I was addressing. I was specifically addressing her concern about no more unit's in one specific AMI being available because it seems that CB took all of the units.

Once the amount of units allotted to CB or any other preference is complete, then yes all those preference applicants are thrown into the non preference group.

BUT what I was saying is that I have never seen any lottery or anything in the marketing handbook that states that the allotted units for each preference is divided within each AMI.

For example CB is 50% if there's two AMIs 50 units for 100% and 50 units for 130% so a total of 50 units go to CB but that doesn't mean that only 25 units from 100% and 25 units for 130% go to CB.
It would be whatever AMI the CB preference applicant falls under until the 50 CB units are reached.

So if all CB applicants qualify for 100% AMI then all those units would go to them before the non preference group is reached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: