Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 11:56 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Safe pension is a BIG benefit if you're a relatively low-income worker who won't be seeing too much in SS. I worry people undervalue it. Also people who think they'll get better work-life balance in the private sector are generally kidding themselves (though it can vary by field).

Working (most likely) for a mayor actively hostile to the idea of city government, though, that's a tough pill to swallow. You want to feel like you're doing something good and valued.
Unless they switch things up, get a promotion or something (and not even then), most city employees aren't going to see huge bumps in salary over thirty or so years. Why do you think so many still are in busted NYCHA projects after they retire or some other subsidized housing?

If best you earn over qualifying quarters for SS is $35k to $40 per year, you're not looking at a huge SS check each month in retirement.

Career politicians, judges, lawyers and others higher up on the city salary food chain are another matter.

Some at Affordable Housing earn decent enough wages on paper, but even at $55k per year remember about one-third of that off bat goes for payroll taxes. Then come various other deductions so actual take home pay is far less.

https://www.seethroughny.net/payrolls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 12:00 PM

On another note NYC government needs to go lean and cut down worker numbers via productivity, privatization and use of technology.

Bloomberg started going down this route, but Sam the Eagle reversed trend and now city payroll is at historical highs. BdeB has gone on a hiring binge last eight years dramatically expanding city workforce at all levels.

Thanks to pension, healthcare and other costs when factored in this huge municipal work force costs taxpayers plenty. This is one reason why Adams is going on about a hiring freeze.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:36 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,740,027 times
Believe me, I know how big the differential can be between public and private sector salaries. I'm just saying that people tend to underrate the pension because it's not in hand.

And, yeah, taking care of the city costs money. Privatization just means that everyone gets screwed by unaccountable companies while execs get rich.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:23 PM

20 posts, read 21,892 times
I remember getting an email for a job with NYC APS (Adult Protective Services) back in 2017, I could not even remember when I took the case worker exam...I took that exam in 2012!!! 5 Years for them to contact me, so I go to the group interview and saw on the welcome papers that the salary was $38k!!!!!!! Unbelievable, I did not even stay $38k salary in NYC is a joke, you want me to help others while simultaneously needing help...make it make sense....smh. Real Estate is probably a big ticket item on any agency's budget working from home saves them money!!! How much are you paying for that fancy office per sq ft as opposed to having someone work from home???? *Shrugs in Kanye West*

Old 11-05-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulLocal01 View Post
I remember getting an email for a job with NYC APS (Adult Protective Services) back in 2017, I could not even remember when I took the case worker exam...I took that exam in 2012!!! 5 Years for them to contact me, so I go to the group interview and saw on the welcome papers that the salary was $38k!!!!!!! Unbelievable, I did not even stay $38k salary in NYC is a joke, you want me to help others while simultaneously needing help...make it make sense....smh. Real Estate is probably a big ticket item on any agency's budget working from home saves them money!!! How much are you paying for that fancy office per sq ft as opposed to having someone work from home???? *Shrugs in Kanye West*
Most if not good majority of jobs with city pay shyt compared to private sector. Outside of uniformed services (which aren't that high paying to start), unless you land a mayoral appointed position, commissioner, assistant commissioner, and or something along those lines you're not going to be making anywhere near bank as a civil servant.

People take what they can get, and or for the bennies (pension, healthcare, etc...).

Take traffic enforcement agents. They start at around $41k and max is about $47k. That is not a lot of money for a HCL place like NYC. Maybe if single and careful, but still things would be tight.

At least uniformed services have option of picking up OT. Administrative and others usually don't have that option (IIRC).

Again there are reasons why NYCHA, senior/elderly, and other subsidized or whatever housing in NYC is filled with current and or retired NYC civil servants.

City has upped ante by getting developers to include municipal worker preferences, but that only goes so far.

Unlike NYCHA these units are RS and thus rent isn't income dependent. If in ten or so years down line a current or retired municipal worker cannot afford rent, they don't have many other options besides moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery