Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 10:47 AM

248 posts, read 407,297 times

Advertisements

Return to work hasn't worked out in our favor...

https://www.curbed.com/2021/09/nyc-o...ss-exodus.html

Quote:
The division that oversees the city’s pipeline of affordable-housing projects has suffered a recent “mass exodus,” as one staffer put it. HPD says it is still pursuing new development deals, but is “prioritizing direct staff engagement on our projects closing this year” — which is to say, new development projects are essentially on the back burner. The Housing Department says it won’t be able to assign additional staff to new construction and preservation projects until more positions are filled, which it currently expects to happen next year. But if more employees leave now, it’s unlikely that they’ll be staffed up anytime soon, especially since Eric Adams, the Democratic candidate for mayor, has promised a two-year hiring freeze.

Employees in other high-skill roles at the Housing Department are also eyeing the door. “I am interviewing for jobs where I would make up to three times as much as my current salary,” said one data analyst with HPD. “I didn’t go into this field for the money, but if I can get more work-life balance and more pay, it would be really difficult to look at that and stay with the city of New York.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 12:34 PM

14 posts, read 13,818 times
Thanks for sharing!

My TIC was submitted to HPD on 09/16/2021 (2 weeks ago) and it is still under review... the marketing agent expected it to take just a week and we even marked the tentative move-in day and reserved the freight elevator for the next week.

I think I can relax and move on with my life for at least another month or two

Old 09-30-2021, 05:15 PM

580 posts, read 735,567 times
Wow. Not surprising, though. Thanks for the article.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:22 PM

14 posts, read 13,818 times
I finally received the HPD approval in 14 business days!

Old 10-05-2021, 10:35 PM

580 posts, read 735,567 times
Awesome news feanor. I responded in the other thread.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:56 AM

32,040 posts, read 27,268,853 times
Huge number of municipal jobs pay is horrible, I'm talking $25k-35k starting salary, and things don't get much better for years. You can easily look up what every single city worker earns, and you'll find plenty where you wonder how on earth they manage to live on such wages.

People remain usually because they cannot do better, and or for the bennies including a safe pension.

Right now labor market is tight. For those with desired skills it is a no brainer to jump ship and go into private sector. Who in their right mind would pass up going from $35k or less to $80k, 90k or more per year?

Old 10-06-2021, 09:21 AM

200 posts, read 223,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Huge number of municipal jobs pay is horrible, I'm talking $25k-35k starting salary, and things don't get much better for years. You can easily look up what every single city worker earns, and you'll find plenty where you wonder how on earth they manage to live on such wages.

People remain usually because they cannot do better, and or for the bennies including a safe pension.

Right now labor market is tight. For those with desired skills it is a no brainer to jump ship and go into private sector. Who in their right mind would pass up going from $35k or less to $80k, 90k or more per year?
Isn't a major bennie priority in lotteries LOL...But after they get their lease, they can quit with impunity, right?

Old 10-06-2021, 10:25 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,050,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
Isn't a major bennie priority in lotteries LOL...But after they get their lease, they can quit with impunity, right?
Not that major though - a 5% preference is like 1 apartment per 20 available, and most projects are not that big!

Old 10-06-2021, 10:57 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,787,299 times
Safe pension is a BIG benefit if you're a relatively low-income worker who won't be seeing too much in SS. I worry people undervalue it. Also people who think they'll get better work-life balance in the private sector are generally kidding themselves (though it can vary by field).

Working (most likely) for a mayor actively hostile to the idea of city government, though, that's a tough pill to swallow. You want to feel like you're doing something good and valued.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 AM

32,040 posts, read 27,268,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
Municipal worker preference is a mixed bag. Only city employees one knows of who go for those lotteries are when building in question is condo (as in they will own), not rental. Then again am talking about FDNY, NYPD, DSNY, court officers, etc...

Even within municipal workers not everyone welcomes going through the very intrusive lottery process. Besides they come from a culture that owns not rents housing. Thus lotteries for rentals now matter how new or whatever generally aren't on their radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery