Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2021, 12:42 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Not sure of the exact process, but my building has an internal list - actually the apartment I am in now was previously occupied by someone who upgraded to a one bedroom just across the hall. His apartment is still listed as mine in Seamless so delivery guys keep coming to my door first and I have to send them across the hall, lol.
How did you get it? Did you call the office and ask? When I contacted the management office they told me that I have to "recertify" (they used that word), and that I have to not only be selected but go through the entire process again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 02:11 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,036,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
How did you get it? Did you call the office and ask? When I contacted the management office they told me that I have to "recertify" (they used that word), and that I have to not only be selected but go through the entire process again.
It wasn't me who got the transfer, it was the previous tenant who moved from what is now my apartment (a studio) to the one bedroom across the hall. I don't know if they had to submit all their paperwork again (I imagine so). Re-rentals in my building are through a downloaded application emailed back to them - that's how I got mine, think they established a waiting list solely based on the order the applications were received. Actually am not sure if tenants already residing there get first crack at a larger apartment or not before external applicants so I may have misspoken the "internal" part.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:07 AM

203 posts, read 263,883 times
My feeling is that this is a process that is dictated by the building in which you live. Each building will have its own process. I've attempted to upgrade from a studio to a one bedroom in two different lottery apartments. The first time I was put on a waiting list, but then I eventually moved out. The second time, I knew someone was moving out of a one bedroom and asked management to switch to that specific apartment...and that's where I live now.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:32 AM

151 posts, read 196,579 times
I think it’s internal with the building. My neighbor wants a two bedroom and she told me that mgmt told her she would be put on a waiting list. if someone moves out and also, if she qualifies based off income, household size, etc…she can move. Her daughter moved in with her who’s an adult so They would count her income as well… but just ask your buildings management

Old 10-15-2021, 01:20 PM

41 posts, read 65,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlk23 View Post
I think it’s internal with the building. My neighbor wants a two bedroom and she told me that mgmt told her she would be put on a waiting list. if someone moves out and also, if she qualifies based off income, household size, etc…she can move. Her daughter moved in with her who’s an adult so They would count her income as well… but just ask your buildings management

I wonder how they calculate income, especially people who got laid off from work because of Covid. Do you think they consider your assets as income, such as stock or retirement or crypto?

Old 10-15-2021, 05:58 PM

151 posts, read 196,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopingForTheBest View Post
I wonder how they calculate income, especially people who got laid off from work because of Covid. Do you think they consider your assets as income, such as stock or retirement or crypto?

No. that is all considered assets. They would count unemployment as income, as well as self-employment, social security, child support, etc…

Old 04-12-2022, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 14,867 times
Management told me I have to basically re-apply and submit paperwork (transfer request forms, reason for transfer, completed app, last 6 paystubs + current W2) and then I'd be put on a waitlist. My question however is what if the paperwork I submit shows I no longer qualify for the lotto apartment I'm currently in, even though I've been told re-certification isn't a part of my building? I've been asking around for the AMI qualification charts but apparently no one knows how to access it

Old 04-21-2022, 02:47 PM

21 posts, read 15,749 times
If you currently occupy a lottery unit and want to transfer to a different lottery unit in the same building, you will need to submit a request to your landlord. Ask if there are other lottery units available or will become available in the near future.

All units transfers are at the discretion of the landlord/building management and the tenant is not entitled to one.

For example, if you want to transfer from a 1-bedroom to a different 1-bedroom you will just need permission to make the transfer and sign updated lease documents. Since you were already qualified for a 1-bedroom unit you will not be required to undergo income certification by HPD.

If you want to transfer from a 1-bedroom unit to a 2-bedroom unit you need to find out if there is a larger unit available or will become available. If the landlord agrees you will more than likely need to submit updated income and household documentation because the 2-bedroom unit has different occupancy and income requirements from your existing 1-bedroom unit. As a single person, you would not be able to upgrade to a 2-bedroom unit because the minimum occupancy for this unit type is 2 people. Additionally, if you are 2 people living in a 1-bedroom, but did not meet the original requirements to qualify for a 2-bedroom you will definitely be subject to an income certification review by HPD as you will need to prove that you are qualified to pay the higher rent for the larger unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery