Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 05:10 PM

17 posts, read 11,304 times

Advertisements

I got a letter from a building I'm on a waitlist for asking for annual income information. It says I need to complete the form and return it by Nov 30 in order to maintain my name on the waiting list. It also says I need to send the form via regular mail. And it says if I don't return the form in the time indicated my name will be removed from the waiting list without further notice.

I plan to send the form back. My question is how do I prove I sent it? I can't send by certified or registered mail because the letter says it has to be sent by regular mail. So how do you prove you sent something in on time while sending it regular mail?

I'm asking because I have a friend who was on the waiting list for this building and now lives there but he almost lost his place because they claimed they didn't receive his form when he sent it a couple of years ago. It was a battle for him to get back on the waiting list. I don't want this to happen to me so want to know if there is some way I can have proof I returned the form on time.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 06:42 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,668,181 times
Ask at the Post Office. This question has likely been asked before.

Follow their directions the building gives. Keep a copy of what you send. Take a picture of the envelope. Follow up later to confirm by phone, fax, email, whatever, that your form was received. Record for your own files when you did this.

I’d ask at a post office. There might be regular mail service that has some sort of tracking or proof that it was sent at least. The PO might let you take a picture of the envelope once they hand cancel it.

You could send a duplicate form to yourself and not open it when it arrives. That is all I got.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:57 PM

248 posts, read 403,833 times
Priority Mail includes tracking, and it is just regular mail, nothing the recipient has to sign for.

Just go to the post office and request priority with tracking.

Old 11-13-2021, 05:19 PM

17 posts, read 11,304 times
Thanks for the feedback. I went to the post office and asked about priority mail and they said the recipient doesn't have to sign for it but its not considered regular mail. They suggested that I get a certificate of mailing. That is your proof that you mailed something, but there is no tracking with a certificate of mailing. I think I might just go ahead and send it priority mail since it has tracking even though the post office said that's not considered regular mail...

Old 11-13-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manivan View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I went to the post office and asked about priority mail and they said the recipient doesn't have to sign for it but its not considered regular mail. They suggested that I get a certificate of mailing. That is your proof that you mailed something, but there is no tracking with a certificate of mailing. I think I might just go ahead and send it priority mail since it has tracking even though the post office said that's not considered regular mail...
If you don’t mail it regular mail, are you following the instructions of the lottery? If you are not following the instructions is that wise? Ask the post office if the lottery could REFUSE and RETURN the priority mail.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:40 PM

The reason they say they want "regular" mail is because they don't want the hassle of having to sign for something, or to go to the post office to pick up something that's certified. What possible reason could they have for refusing a letter that is directly delivered with zero affect on their operations?

Wouldn't the best thing be to ask the housing office themselves?

(Editing to add: my tone is directed towards the bldg management, not folks posting here. They would be really petty and burdensome to refuse priority mail.)

Old 11-14-2021, 08:40 AM

290 posts, read 277,801 times
I did exactly that. Asked if my letter was received but was told that they won't open any of the letters until after the deadline. I did make copies but I don't think there is any other solution.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
The reason they say they want "regular" mail is because they don't want the hassle of having to sign for something, or to go to the post office to pick up something that's certified. What possible reason could they have for refusing a letter that is directly delivered with zero affect on their operations?

Wouldn't the best thing be to ask the housing office themselves?

(Editing to add: my tone is directed towards the bldg management, not folks posting here. They would be really petty and burdensome to refuse priority mail.)
The Lottery people don’t need to give a reason. They don’t owe us an answer. They are offering an opportunity at a major discount where very many people want very few housing units. Many applications. They have given instructions that are accessible and widely used.

No disrespect to anyone here. I feel it too, the process is not very responsive compared to things in our everyday life, and it makes for doubts and worries on the sender’s end.

If Manivan can’t resist temptation to not follow the rules and send paperwork Priority Mail, I suggest they also send a version Regular Mail as the instructions say. That way they have followed the instructions, but also took an additional unrequested action also.

I have now experience in working at a Housing Lottery. However, I do have experience with receiving applications sent via mail where Demand is far greater the Supply. In my experience in that context folks in charge really appreciate it when application instructions are followed. Applicants would try to game the system in sensible gentle ways such as with self addressed postage paid postcards enclosed with paperwork. We were instructed to toss these in the trash. I didn’t ask why, those higher up in the hierarchy did not owe me an explanation for this policy.

As to effect on operations:
Also, I have experience with tracking numbers. They are not nearly 100% accurate. Items show as delivered which are still on the truck, or have not even gotten on a truck. And, even if an item has been delivered to the address does not mean it’s reached the “desk” where it belongs. These could be reasons why they don’t want Priority Mail, because senders will contact the office asking if their paperwork arrived because it says online that it has when perhaps it has not, and even if it have arrived it could be days before it is filed during which time a send might repeat contact being concerned that the internet tracking says it has arrived which does not mean a human have opened the envelope and reviewed the contents. Now consider the scenario multiplied by how many senders wanting to confirm with operations that their tracked item has arrived. That is how it can impact operations.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
As to effect on operations:
Also, I have experience with tracking numbers. They are not nearly 100% accurate. Items show as delivered which are still on the truck, or have not even gotten on a truck. And, even if an item has been delivered to the address does not mean it’s reached the “desk” where it belongs. These could be reasons why they don’t want Priority Mail, because senders will contact the office asking if their paperwork arrived because it says online that it has when perhaps it has not, and even if it have arrived it could be days before it is filed during which time a send might repeat contact being concerned that the internet tracking says it has arrived which does not mean a human have opened the envelope and reviewed the contents. Now consider the scenario multiplied by how many senders wanting to confirm with operations that their tracked item has arrived. That is how it can impact operations.
I too am well aware of the vagaries of the USPS, having owned and managed a small business myself for many years. Which is why I must respectfully say that I find it implausible that there is a scenario where the number of people calling to check to see if their tracked mail arrived is larger than the number of people calling to see if their untracked mail arrived.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:36 PM

“Mail Post Card or Envelope by regular mail. Registered and Certified Mail will not be accepted.
Above is a direct quote from an open Mitchell-Lama lottery. The bold is mine. It’s for those who don’t want to or can’t apply to the lottery online. This is not the first time I have seen this statement. FYI.

It could be that a similar statement appears someplace in regards to submitting documents for approval. Another additional statement might omit that part that I bolded. If the former is true and documents submitted for approval were not accepted it can take long time for that fact to surface. (It might be ignored rather than refused. Plenty of people in offices these days know zero about Registered or Certified Mail. Some don’t get that FedX and the USPS are not the same animal). In general, returns and refusals move more slowly than deliveries. Not abiding by instructions might expose an applicant to consequences or mishaps.

Of course, there seems to be an appeal process with these lotteries and applications. So, if something does go askew, appeal. An appeal can be as simple as, ‘I sent in documents, those managing the process say they were not received’. We can hope that that is enough to get a second bite at the apple, if it matters because the applicant in question is actually in contention for a unit and not many places behind.

Good luck and much patience to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: