Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 05:53 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times

Advertisements

For lottery apartments, you have to apply, be picked by a random process and then meet all the qualifications, which are set by the city and state. Most lottery apartments are rent-stabilized and are usually in brand-new buildings. Depending on the income bracket, they can be substantially below market rate.

For rent stabilized apartments, you can rent them on the open market. You would have to meet the landlord’s qualifications. They are usually in older buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 08:17 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmusic View Post
The rent she is paying currently is similar to this one, so paying rent is not really an issue. Are landlords picky about tenants adding another member to the household? I've never personally dealt with the landlord - when I moved in all the paperwork and everything was done through the realtor. I've also never lived in an apartment before this one so I'm not really sure what the process is like..
Allowing family or anyone else to live with primary tenant in a RS unit is one thing, putting their name on lease is another. Current laws only require LL to put legally married spouse's name on lease, and *NO ONE ELSE*.

https://www.metcouncilonhousing.org/...e-for-a-lease/

You can let your mother live in apartment and as have said continue to pay rent on apartment. LL likely will not accept checks, money orders or any rent payments directly from your mother, so you'll have to write checks each month. Also again as have stated *YOU* as primary tenant of record will still be legally liable for all terms on lease. If for some reason your mother or whoever doesn't pay rent, *YOU* will be hauled into court.

When it comes time to renew lease you can try to pull a fast one by saying "yes" apartment is your primary residence and thus renew, but if LL knows or someone drops a quarter on you that things are different a few things can happen.

First they will offer renewal lease as per law, but bring legal action in housing court (holdover) claiming unit is *NOT* your primary residence, fraud and whatever else. A simple credit check will most surely show you recently went through vetting for a new apartment elsewhere. LL just has to make a phone call to find out rest of that information.

Listen pal, what you're trying to do isn't new. Nearly since rent control was foisted onto LLs tenants have looked for ways to game system. Sometimes it worked, others not. Suffice to say for some time now LLs know fully well all the tricks and what to look out for...

Unless your name is J.L. GotRocks I don't know why you'd want to be legally and financially responsible for *TWO* apartments. I'd be more concerned with LL allowing getting out of current lease than anything else.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:48 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,636,581 times
Default From metcouncilonhousing.org

What is the best way to approach my landlord if I want to break my lease?

If you want to break your lease, try to think about the situation from your landlord’s point of view. Is the apartment a rent regulated apartment? If so, your landlord might be happy to release you since there will be an opportunity for your landlord to get a higher rent from the next tenant. Can you find a reliable tenant to replace you? If so, your landlord might be willing to accept an “assignment” of your lease. If your landlord isn’t providing services or repairs and is generally negligent, it can be hard to get the landlord to negotiate and you might have to take your chances or wait until the lease expires.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:40 AM

17 posts, read 16,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn9580sb View Post
So what’s the different with rent stabilized and lottery apartments??
I think there is some overlap, but I got my current place (non-lottery, but rent stabilized) through a realtor, pretty much like how you would find a regular apartment except this one happened to be rent stabilized. It is far from luxury. Lottery apartments from my understanding are usually brand new luxury developments that you have to apply for on Housing connect.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:26 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmusic View Post
I think there is some overlap, but I got my current place (non-lottery, but rent stabilized) through a realtor, pretty much like how you would find a regular apartment except this one happened to be rent stabilized. It is far from luxury. Lottery apartments from my understanding are usually brand new luxury developments that you have to apply for on Housing connect.
Not all "lottery" or "affordable housing" units are in new buildings. Some are in places decade or decades old where those on waitlists or otherwise expressed interest are contacted. Others are in older buildings where units/entire building are permanently or temporarily part of "affordable housing" lottery because owner somehow got into bed with city and or state.

This so called "affordable" housing lottery scheme has been around since 1980's IIRC, if not a bit before. Thus there are a good number of buildings that went up prior to 2000's.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:22 PM

136 posts, read 116,317 times
I can only talk about my RS experience. It really is dependent on your situation, it does not hurt to ask if your mum can be added to your lease. That is how I ended up in my old apartment my aunt asked to have me added and they were cool with it. You have to be the judge and I wish you the best. I do not think it is a bad thing if moving will help both of you out and she can manage. it is definitely a situational thing, that 40x the rent thing is so riddic arrrrggghhh.
My friend's mum added her to her lease in her RS apartment while she was living overseas, when her mum passed away suddenly she had a home to move back to and she continued paying the rent with no issue. If her mum had not done that she would have had no home to come back to. You can talk to Legal aid regarding that if you want as well they can advise you way better than we can in truth. Good luck however you decide to go about it. May your home always be happy and joyous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery