Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2021, 10:57 AM

111 posts, read 100,424 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Similar to my previous question, are the income requirements checked at application time or when your waitlist number is called? I guess generally when does HPD check the qualifications & requirements?

Someone makes between the income limits now, but when called they make way above the limit. What happens?

G'Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 11:19 AM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Your income is verified after your log number is reached.

If you make way above the limit at that time, you should still go through the process.

Is this for a ML co-op or rental?

MLs sometimes go by your adjusted gross income. For most people, that's less than gross income.

And also sometimes you can earn above the limit, and you would be paying a surcharge on your monthly maintenance.

And also I've seen MLs that deduct a percentage of the lower wage earner's salary.

Don't assume you won't qualify.

For instance, at Penn South (not a ML, but similar), for a one-bedroom the top annual household income is $129,000, but you can make up to $194,000 and pay a surcharge.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:43 AM

18 posts, read 18,697 times
Hi. I recently interviewed with a ML. Income is verified at the interview stage before final submission to Hpd. They didn’t tell me what was the income bracket but she alleged that I qualified based on AGI.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:50 AM

111 posts, read 100,424 times
Thanks macnyc2003 and Ac2021.

This is a mitchell lama co-op.

I opened another thread about timing.
It sounds like there is no verification at application time. A lot can change between now and when my number is called.

But are you saying that if I send in the application with my fee, I do not have to meet the occupancy and income requirement. I mean, can I even be on the wait list if I don't, on paper at least, appear to qualify?

Appreciate your answers!

Old 12-09-2021, 11:56 AM

18 posts, read 18,697 times
I was on the ML waitlist about a decade ago. My income most certainly changed from then. It’s all reassessed when they reach your log number for an interview.
I’d say send in the application if it causes no financial hardship. Mls have notoriously long wait times. Your circumstances might change then and meet the criteria. Worst case scenario you don’t qualify. Don’t put all your hope on one lottery, keep applying.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:08 PM

A couple of years back there was one ML rental lottery I was interested in, Westbeth. However, that one did require financial data to be submitted with the initial application. I was disappointed because I was above the income limit at that time, but after I retire in a couple of years, I will easily qualify.

But that was the only ML so far to do that.

As long as you're not asked for documentation, go ahead and apply to as many as you like. If you change your mind, you can often get part of your application money back. As Ac2021 says, above, MLs often has long wait times, and who knows what your income will be then?

Old 01-05-2022, 02:01 PM

27 posts, read 30,826 times
FYI, they will let you go over the limit and surcharge you only when you’re already inside. If your over the limit which for today on one bedroom single person is 104k.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 715 times
Default Penn south income guidelines for 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Your income is verified after your log number is reached.

If you make way above the limit at that time, you should still go through the process.

Is this for a ML co-op or rental?

MLs sometimes go by your adjusted gross income. For most people, that's less than gross income.

And also sometimes you can earn above the limit, and you would be paying a surcharge on your monthly maintenance.

And also I've seen MLs that deduct a percentage of the lower wage earner's salary.

Don't assume you won't qualify.

For instance, at Penn South (not a ML, but similar), for a one-bedroom the top annual household income is $129,000, but you can make up to $194,000 and pay a surcharge.

The original ad for the 2019 Penn South Lottery said “income requirements, carrying charges and purchase prices are subject to change”, what is the 2022 Maximum income for 1 person, cost of carrying charges for a 1 bedroom and the purchase prices for it please?

Old 03-19-2022, 04:10 AM

Since Penn South is not a Mitchell Lama, you should post your question on the Penn South 2019 thread. There’s a ton of info there. Maybe two tons!

The Penn South one bedroom carrying costs vary, depending on the size of the apartment and how high the floor. The cheapest one I saw was $573 a month and the most expensive was $720. Apartments with balconies would be more. If you earn over the limit, you would pay a surcharge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery