Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 06:46 PM

19 posts, read 14,954 times

Advertisements

I moved into this apartment during the second week of January. This past Saturday, there was apparently a sprinkler malfunction a couple floors above me. First I saw a puddle, called front desk and was told they were working on fixing the leak. After about half an hour the leak stopped, but I could tell about half of my entire floor was still retaining water. Whenever pressure was applied, water droplets would squeeze out through the wood flooring panels. A couple hours later, I found a crack and a leak in my ceiling. I spent the entire night trying to dab out the water from my floor. I messaged the maintenance manager and the building provided me with two dehumidifiers to dry up the floors and walls, and a paint job on the ceiling. This was done on Tuesday. I've been keeping the dehumidifiers running even though everything felt dry to the touch.

Today, I got home from work to find another puddle in the same exact spot. Called front desk again, and was told there was another leak on another floor. And again, there is water retention on my floor. I Luckily, I have very little furniture right now and was able to move everything out of the way before it became seriously damaged.

Is there anything I can or should do in regards to this situation -- it seems I can't formally file a complaint since they "fixed" the leak in a pretty timely manner, but it's just ridiculous that this is happening literally a couple days apart. I'm new to this whole lottery thing and have no idea what my entitlements are. I feel like if was paying market rate I could complain more, but the fact that I'm already getting a discount (it's still REALLY high at 130% AMI) makes me think the management will laugh at me should I do so little as open my mouth. Should I just shut up about it and bear with it? I've lived in pre-war buildings before and have NEVER even come close to experiencing anything like this. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 09:08 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Call 311 and complain.
Which lottery building is this if you don’t mind my asking?

Old 01-20-2022, 09:34 PM

394 posts, read 569,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappyCamper01 View Post
I moved into this apartment during the second week of January. This past Saturday, there was apparently a sprinkler malfunction a couple floors above me. First I saw a puddle, called front desk and was told they were working on fixing the leak. After about half an hour the leak stopped, but I could tell about half of my entire floor was still retaining water. Whenever pressure was applied, water droplets would squeeze out through the wood flooring panels. A couple hours later, I found a crack and a leak in my ceiling. I spent the entire night trying to dab out the water from my floor. I messaged the maintenance manager and the building provided me with two dehumidifiers to dry up the floors and walls, and a paint job on the ceiling. This was done on Tuesday. I've been keeping the dehumidifiers running even though everything felt dry to the touch.

Today, I got home from work to find another puddle in the same exact spot. Called front desk again, and was told there was another leak on another floor. And again, there is water retention on my floor. I Luckily, I have very little furniture right now and was able to move everything out of the way before it became seriously damaged.

Is there anything I can or should do in regards to this situation -- it seems I can't formally file a complaint since they "fixed" the leak in a pretty timely manner, but it's just ridiculous that this is happening literally a couple days apart. I'm new to this whole lottery thing and have no idea what my entitlements are. I feel like if was paying market rate I could complain more, but the fact that I'm already getting a discount (it's still REALLY high at 130% AMI) makes me think the management will laugh at me should I do so little as open my mouth. Should I just shut up about it and bear with it? I've lived in pre-war buildings before and have NEVER even come close to experiencing anything like this. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
So sorry to hear this especially since you just moved. If I were in your position, lottery apartment or not, that should not be happening. You pay rent just like the next person and that is unacceptable.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:54 AM

21 posts, read 49,112 times
Sorry about your ordeal. The Two Blue Slip development in Greenpoint (also 130% AMI) was in the news about a tenant dealing with the same issue. Hope your building management resolves this quickly.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/02/two-bl...tion-problems/

Old 01-21-2022, 06:51 AM

394 posts, read 569,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriana View Post
Sorry about your ordeal. The Two Blue Slip development in Greenpoint (also 130% AMI) was in the news about a tenant dealing with the same issue. Hope your building management resolves this quickly.

Wow that article was an eye opener. Making me second guess all the new high rise developments I applied for smh.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:45 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
It's great to have sprinkler systems in new buildings. But when they leak, it's a problem. Of course, they shouldn't be leaking if properly installed. But my friend in a lottery building had a leak a couple of weeks ago, fortunately in the hallway. It wasn't easy to repair, and she would wake up in the middle of the night to go out to the hallway and make sure the bucket wasn't overflowing.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriana View Post

Yes! I saw that and that's why I asked. Also the one on Dean Street had leaks as well.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:22 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,537 times
When I moved into my previous apartment, it was my first that had sprinklers, and I finally got renters insurance specifically just in case they malfunctioned. Have sprinklers in my current apartment too, so I have kept the insurance. So far, so good though.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:05 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Has nothing to do with lottery or market rate, new construction in this city just sucks.

People who bought on billionaire's row or in some other true luxury building paying tens of millions have problems.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:23 AM

203 posts, read 263,020 times
they don't make 'em like they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: