Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 06:07 PM

58 posts, read 31,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Seem like you embrace a challenge. I admire that. Rent regulations are complex. Two similar units can have different rents due to how frequently one of the units turns over to new tenants relative to the other unit, as I understand it. (I suspect there are exceptions.) The fact that your friend has a lower rent does not enable the landlord to bring it up to the rent level of the other units, they can only raise the rent according to the what the guidelines say they can at the time of renewal.
I think you misunderstood my point, I was simply saying that the building had no problem reducing rent drastically for market rate units during covid to get people in here, knowing that it’s rent stabilized which means they knew that lowering the rent would prevent them from raising it like crazy the following year. Which to me, sounds like they have plenty of means to make the affordable units a little nicer. I know it’s complex, I’m not pretending to know every nuance of how it works, but a system that allows this level of inequity is unfair. As you stated before, it is just unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 06:10 AM

58 posts, read 31,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I have a hard time believing that this building didn't engage in the same strategy as all others by providing "incentives" ( i.e. free months) so as not to officially charge a lower rent and get screwed when it came to RS laws.
Both your responses to me are completely uncalled for. And you’re also completely wrong, the building actually reduced the rent, which I already stated in my post. Please go troll another stranger.

Last edited by azimazi; 06-10-2022 at 06:22 AM..

Old 06-10-2022, 08:58 AM

225 posts, read 304,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the housing lottery game. My husband and I were called to view an apartment at 250 Gold Street, which we ended up turning down as it was significantly smaller than our current place. (each bedroom was less than 10 foot by 10 foot, as was the living room, so less than 400 square feet, even though developers always lie and advertise it as 650 or whatever, and it had two cupboards - literally 1 foot wide each!)

My husband has a theory that the developers deliberately build worse apartments for the lottery residents (smaller floor plans, less closet space, cheaper fixtures etc.) but this to me seems particularly brazen and I would imagine there are some kind of stipulations put in the developer contract to prevent this sort of thing.

Since many of you are in lottery apartments and can compare to other units in the building, I would love to hear your thoughts!

I have seen comments saying the lottery units often don't get a W/D when the market rate ones do, which seems like a great way to make it obvious who is and isn't a lottery tenant based on who uses the laundry room. But I can live with that at least. Space is a non-negotiable.

We are in an AMI that might stand us in good stead for some of the lotteries we have entered recently, from what I have read - a band they often struggle to find tenants for - and so I have looked up some of the buildings online - the floorplans look great to me! But if the lottery ones are likely to be much smaller than the market rate ones, then we wouldn't be interested - we are well past the "live happily in a cupboard just to enjoy going out in NYC all the time" stage of life.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your input!
We viewed some 2 bedrooms at Gold Street that were literally too small for furniture beyond a set of twin beds and maybe a small settee. To me it didn’t even appear ada compliant. I think that building particularly has terrible layouts across the board except in the highest end apartments. Even the market rate at $5-7k didn’t have washers or dryers, which seems crazy.
At another building in Manhattan the only difference was the lottery units didn’t have washers or dryers but were clearly in the worst location in the building, facing a completely blank grey brick wall.

Last edited by Vanta B; 06-10-2022 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-24-2023, 02:03 PM

275 posts, read 203,498 times
What building is this ?

Old 02-24-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
My unit is exactly the same as the market rate ones in size, fixtures, & appliances. We all use the same amenities & entrances. The building staff treated us all the same with respect & the maintenance requests were all taken into the same priority. There is no difference between market rate & affordable units tenants!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink snake View Post
The lottery apartment I had was exactly the same as the market rate units. All same appliances. All same fixtures. All same everything. Building staff treated me exactly the same as any other tenant.
What building is this? And what year was it built ?

Old 02-24-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
I knew for sure in my building some lottery tenants got units in higher floors i.e. 32, 33, & 38 floors (my building has 42 floors). So yeah, the building management did spread out the affordable units throughout.
What building is this ? In Manhattan?

Old 02-24-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I'm actually on a higher floor with a great view.
Which building?

Old 02-24-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlk23 View Post
I’m in a lottery apartment (80/20 building) and my finishes are different than the market rate apartment . The market rate units have Miele appliances, top of the line washer and dryer and Wi-Fi enabled thermostats.. oh and better views. In my building the C (1bd) &D (2bd) lines are affordable which you can tell was purposely set up like that because there is a building right next door that we have a view of. The 1 bd gets absolutely no view other than the neighboring building, i live in the 2bd apartment and i get a okay view of the river in my living room. In the other two bedrooms if i look out the window at a angle i do see the bridge…. As far as size, unless you have a corner unit or on the higher floors (where there are less apartments) id say both market rate and lottery apartments are pretty comparable. The apartment across from me (market rate) isn’t big at all! I almost feel like mine is bigger. However they have a window in their bathroom which i love, the bedrooms are on opposite sides of the apartment, and as i mentioned their view and appliances are better.

Just to add, I’m in a 2bd 2bath in washer/dryer. Stainless steel appliances. Dark oak wood floors, my bathroom fixtures are identical to the market rate apartments... overall, Very aesthetically nice, even with the minor difference. Management, my doormen, and the maintenance men are all amazing! My super rich neighbors are even super friendly lol.
What building is this ?

Old 02-24-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
For an ocean view with a balcony, yes! I find it very therapeutic. Plus the building has parking for very cheap.
In C. Island which building please ?

Old 02-24-2023, 05:58 PM

44 posts, read 44,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the housing lottery game. My husband and I were called to view an apartment at 250 Gold Street, which we ended up turning down as it was significantly smaller than our current place. (each bedroom was less than 10 foot by 10 foot, as was the living room, so less than 400 square feet, even though developers always lie and advertise it as 650 or whatever, and it had two cupboards - literally 1 foot wide each!)

My husband has a theory that the developers deliberately build worse apartments for the lottery residents (smaller floor plans, less closet space, cheaper fixtures etc.) but this to me seems particularly brazen and I would imagine there are some kind of stipulations put in the developer contract to prevent this sort of thing.

Since many of you are in lottery apartments and can compare to other units in the building, I would love to hear your thoughts!

I have seen comments saying the lottery units often don't get a W/D when the market rate ones do, which seems like a great way to make it obvious who is and isn't a lottery tenant based on who uses the laundry room. But I can live with that at least. Space is a non-negotiable.

We are in an AMI that might stand us in good stead for some of the lotteries we have entered recently, from what I have read - a band they often struggle to find tenants for - and so I have looked up some of the buildings online - the floorplans look great to me! But if the lottery ones are likely to be much smaller than the market rate ones, then we wouldn't be interested - we are well past the "live happily in a cupboard just to enjoy going out in NYC all the time" stage of life.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your input!
its illegal to make them any different or have a separate entrance for them. its a heavy point in the law that created the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: