Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 03:04 AM

137 posts, read 147,134 times

Advertisements

So I keep seeing lottery buildings with tenant is responsible for electric payments Gas stove, Heat and hot water. I wonder if anyone is in building with this type of setup. I only pay electricity and gas in my current place. Just wondering how much higher this will be because that seems like it not worth getting affordable apartment with added cost in the back end? any of you who moved to building like this and how much more are you paying vs just a regular Con Edison bill with gas vs now paying for hot water and heat? I am on the lower AMI'S and trying to see if I should apply for a lottery before it closes soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 03:42 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
You should definitely apply for the lottery and make a decision later if you get a good number.

I assume you’re saying that you pay for gas and electric now, but you don’t have to pay for heat or hot water.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:39 AM

172 posts, read 244,013 times
Curious to know the answer to this too.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:51 AM

726 posts, read 810,099 times
As someone who works for the gas company it varies by property and the appliances they use

Old 03-24-2022, 07:06 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
This is a continuing trend that is not going away. Landlords find it easier and cheaper (for them) to install individual HVAC units rather than spring for central heat and A/C. That means the tenants have to pay for heat. Plus, if tenants control their own HVAC units, the landlord doesn't have to worry about complaints about “no heat.”

Paying for hot water is a new one on me.

OP, if you don't want to pay for heat, I don't blame you. But I would say most lottery apartment do require you to do that.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 03-24-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-24-2022, 07:17 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
any apt that has a HVAC unit, I wouldn't take. Those units sometimes flood. The water is gonna get all over your brand new TV or furniture, and on the floor

Old 03-24-2022, 07:39 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,399,379 times
I meant to ask for those who lives in buildings with an HVAC is your electric bill high? I had a friend who lived in a new building a few years ago with an HVAC she told me her electric bill was insanely high. Like $300 a month. I've always just had a window unit and my bill has never gotten that high so wondering if these new buildings come with a high electric bill

Old 03-24-2022, 07:49 AM

603 posts, read 600,232 times
In our building, the HVAC system is all-electric and the price is fairly low besides last month. Usually under $130 per month for a 3b/2ba unit. This includes HVAC/Stove/Laundry.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:57 AM

57 posts, read 61,663 times
GM: Yes I concern too I got call for documents for a beautiful town House apartment It suppose be a duplex. Log number2XX But the concern is the same Electric and heat and hot water. I goggle it the prices and unit is call a Split Unit meaning electric and heat must be together. I understand that water it’s not a lot. But a lot these buildings is charging Electric and heat. If get at the view a lot questions for before sign anything. @FreedomChaser FYI You no Inflation is Up!

Old 03-24-2022, 08:30 AM

151 posts, read 196,277 times
I stay away from buildings that require you to pay for your own electric heat /cooking, and hot water.

Electric cooking won’t cost too much. But electric heat and hot water can get pricey if you like to be warm and comfortable during the winter time, and i do!
I work for con Ed and I look at accounts all day.. It can be very expensive!

Ultimately, It all depends on YOUR usage and many other factors, so it really isn’t even good to compare to someone else’s . But overall it’s on the higher side , especially during the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery