Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 10:35 AM

453 posts, read 498,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzzilla10 View Post
Agreed, but the market rates in NYC are much higher than most of the apartments in the lottery if not all of them. I just wone a studio apt in Manhattan in a very nice brand-new building with decent amenities... for $1,700. That is a lot of money but a unit like this would not be possible otherwise for a middle-income person anywhere in NYC. Go on StreetEasy do a search for $1,700 and see what comes up, it is depressing. I feel for anyone looking for anything decent and affordable in this city.
Agreed. Some lottery places for higher AMIs are going to $6-8k on the open market, way out of our budgets. The notion that someone could easily find a large and lovely 2-bed in Brooklyn or Manhattan for $3k is laughable. Not unless you are willing to go to the very outer edges, otherwise your options will usually be pre-war ones in a less than desirable state of repair and even those aren't large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 10:40 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Agreed. Some lottery places for higher AMIs are going to $6-8k on the open market, way out of our budgets. The notion that someone could easily find a large and lovely 2-bed in Brooklyn or Manhattan for $3k is laughable. Not unless you are willing to go to the very outer edges, otherwise your options will usually be pre-war ones in a less than desirable state of repair and even those aren't large.
Which is why more people are looking for affordable housing who didn’t in the prior years. They have little idea on how it works and honestly I’ve been applying for about 6 years? I’m learning each case is different. One person here was denied due to being $300 over the AMI and another person got an apartment they barely qualified for.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:12 PM

515 posts, read 525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I do want to point out that if a person has a log number of 1, that individual will be called. People are called in order of log numbers. The lottery produces the log numbers. And they are called in order.
Mac she’s going on a rant about what people choose to come on here and post about regarding these lotteries and directing everyone to the marketing handbook which she obviously didn’t read because that very first paragraph of her’s about being a log #1 and not be called is misinformation

Lani this is a forum and I hate to break it to you but not everyone can read and COMPREHEND the marketing handbook. I learned so much from everyone’s posts on this forum and it helped me so much throughout the 6 years it took for me to win and I’m someone who read and understood the marketing handbook very well. People come on here for help and to share their experiences and yes a lot of times that includes their frustrations and disappointments when pertaining to these lotteries, if you don’t like the posts move along. No one is forcing you to read them.

Also Lani who are you to say that someone in the 80%AMI and above doesn’t need affordable housing???
I fall in that AMI and I’m very thankful for it because now I no longer need to live paying more than 30% of income in rent. I earn less than 75K year please let me know where you find in NYC a building in a good neighborhood, with amenities, that’s not infested with roaches/mice, that’s not falling apart, 2bd with an affordable market rate rent. Make sure it’s under 2K because at 2k rent I struggle. Let me know what you find.

And Lani FYI a low log number DOES mean something. If YOU had read the marketing handbook you would know that.

Last edited by Mimilove; 03-27-2022 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-27-2022, 01:32 PM

Hell even the affordable housing options for 130% AMI are crazy. For a 1 bedroom I’ve seen an average of 2,500 for rent which isn’t far from the market rents avail in those very same buildings. Under 2k you’d have to fall under the 60-80% AMI which honestly is also a bit high for the salary that matching those AMIs

Old 03-27-2022, 01:32 PM

954 posts, read 933,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Mac she’s going on a rant about what people choose to come on here and post about regarding these lotteries and directing everyone to the marketing handbook which she obviously didn’t read because that very first paragraph of her’s about being a log #1 and not be called is misinformation

Lani this is a forum and I hate to break it to you but not everyone can read and COMPREHEND the marketing handbook. I learned so much from everyone’s posts on this forum and it helped me so much throughout the 6 years it took for me to win and I’m someone who read and understood the marketing handbook very well. People come on here for help and to share their experiences and yes a lot of times that includes their frustrations and disappointments when pertaining to these lotteries, if you don’t like the posts move along. No one is forcing you to read them.

Also Lani who are you to say that someone in the 80%AMI and above doesn’t need affordable housing???
I fall in that AMI and I’m very thankful for it because now I no longer need to live paying more than 30% of income in rent. I earn less than 75K year please let me know where you find in NYC a building in a good neighborhood, with amenities, that’s not infested with roaches/mice, that’s not falling apart, 2bd with an affordable market rate rent. Make sure it’s under 2K because at 2k rent I struggle. Let me know what you find.

And Lani FYI a low log number DOES mean something. If YOU had read the marketing handbook you would know that.
No it does not. You can be called in order of the lottery but there is no guarantee they call everyone. Please don’t criticize me. You need the housing more than I do. I’m not complaining over people turning the lottery apartments down like you were. My point still stands. It’s a lottery. No one is guaranteed a call or email. It’s really random. I also had a low log number and have never been called as opposed to having a higher log number and I never had any preferences. Which makes my point valid.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
No it does not. You can be called in order of the lottery but there is no guarantee they call everyone. Please don’t criticize me. You need the housing more than I do. I’m not complaining over people turning the lottery apartments down like you were. My point still stands. It’s a lottery. No one is guaranteed a call or email. It’s really random. I also had a low log number and have never been called as opposed to having a higher log number and I never had any preferences. Which makes my point valid.
Did you have a one digit log number and you were not called or did you have what YOU believe was a low log number in lottery that had a small amount of units available?
There’s plenty of things that come into play but the way you are phrasing your point is incorrect. Your log number in these lotteries is literally your place in line to be processed. Read the marketing handbook.

And yes it is a lottery but do you even know what part of it is consider the lottery???
The lottery part is the ASSIGNMENT OF LOG NUMBERS, everyone gets a RANDOM log number, hence the word lottery. That’s it that’s the lottery. The way applications are processed is NOT A LOTTERY. Applications are processed in log number order with the exception of preference groups being processed first but then those are still processed in log number order. Like I said before many people cannot read and comprehend the marketing handbook, you for one are an example of not comprehending the marketing handbook because this is explained in the handbook in detail.

Last edited by Mimilove; 03-27-2022 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-27-2022, 02:08 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Maybe a part of the problem is that people do remember other lotteries. Such as a lottery with cash prizes where you buy a ticket and the results are releases regularly and quickly. There is no paperwork to submit from your landlord or your employer. The cash prize lotteries are consistent for everyone who buys a ticket; there are no preferences; there are no AMI%, you can be rich or poor and play and have an equal chance of winnings; there are no family size qualifications.

Fear Of Missing Out drives a lot of posts. The human mind gives into weakness quickly at times and falsely concludes circumstances are in their favor or not in their favor unjustly. The person with the low log# misses getting a unit to a higher log# but fails to understand or does not want to understand there is a correct and fair explanation for that. Not all applicants are equal, there can be preferences. Not all applicants qualify for all units due to family size and or family AMI%. The PowerBall is not like these housing lotteries at all.

Just because an applicant can afford market rate housing does not exclude them from entering these lotteries. Just the attraction of being a “winner” is enough to make some people play. No doubt there is an assumption that the lottery units are better; well that would have to be determined on a building by building and tenant by tenant basis.

For some buildings, on attraction of winning a lottery unit is the applicant will be living in a building with wealthier people than they are. For other people this is not attractive.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:10 PM

102 posts, read 156,849 times
Meh, I read the title of the thread and thought you might make a decent point because I think there are a lot of unrealistic expectations from people with logs in the high thousands who expect to be contacted right away or just the general expectation that everyone is entitled to get an affordable unit out of the system when it is in fact a randomized lottery and the odds are pretty blatantly spelled out (~100k applicants to approximately every 100 units).

That said - a lot of the points you're making here are really off base. First of all, if you have the log number 1 I think it's pretty fair to say yes, you should expect to be contacted as long as there is some percentage of units set aside for non-preference groups. You may not be entitled to be approved, but somebody with a log number of 1000 and no preferences being contacted before log number 1 is quite literally illegal.

And as far as thinking anyone 80% to 165% should not be bothered to apply or follow through, why the hell not? The units are significantly below market value (especially in the 80 AMI range, a roughly $1,500 1 bed in Manhattan is a FAR cry from market value). Also rent stabilization is massively appealing to a lot of people, it allows people to plan for their future better and actually reap the benefits of their income growth potential over time.

One of the biggest things that does drive me nuts is how dramatic everyone is about the paperwork. Granted, this experience can vary dramatically for different people in different employment/financial situations, for example if your income stream comes from 3 different hourly/tipped jobs with overtime, freelance income or any other difficult to project source then sure, much like doing your taxes it will be more complicated. However, if you're salaried and have one steady source of income and W2 each year the paperwork is pretty simple and not that difficult to submit, I've done it several times and never felt like it was a fraction as difficult as people act like it is to export my last six paystubs and bank statements, and certainly not enough so to deter me from participating in the lottery process altogether.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1975 View Post
Meh, I read the title of the thread and thought you might make a decent point because I think there are a lot of unrealistic expectations from people with logs in the high thousands
YESSS to everything you and wildaboutharry said!

I can tell she’s upset about something regarding the lottery process but I can’t figure out what it is exactly that’s a problem for her based on the points she made in her post.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1975 View Post
Meh, I read the title of the thread and thought you might make a decent point because I think there are a lot of unrealistic expectations from people with logs in the high thousands who expect to be contacted right away or just the general expectation that everyone is entitled to get an affordable unit out of the system when it is in fact a randomized lottery and the odds are pretty blatantly spelled out (~100k applicants to approximately every 100 units).

That said - a lot of the points you're making here are really off base. First of all, if you have the log number 1 I think it's pretty fair to say yes, you should expect to be contacted as long as there is some percentage of units set aside for non-preference groups. You may not be entitled to be approved, but somebody with a log number of 1000 and no preferences being contacted before log number 1 is quite literally illegal.

And as far as thinking anyone 80% to 165% should not be bothered to apply or follow through, why the hell not? The units are significantly below market value (especially in the 80 AMI range, a roughly $1,500 1 bed in Manhattan is a FAR cry from market value). Also rent stabilization is massively appealing to a lot of people, it allows people to plan for their future better and actually reap the benefits of their income growth potential over time.

One of the biggest things that does drive me nuts is how dramatic everyone is about the paperwork. Granted, this experience can vary dramatically for different people in different employment/financial situations, for example if your income stream comes from 3 different hourly/tipped jobs with overtime, freelance income or any other difficult to project source then sure, much like doing your taxes it will be more complicated. However, if you're salaried and have one steady source of income and W2 each year the paperwork is pretty simple and not that difficult to submit, I've done it several times and never felt like it was a fraction as difficult as people act like it is to export my last six paystubs and bank statements, and certainly not enough so to deter me from participating in the lottery process altogether.
I think each building is different when it comes to paper work I had a friend who had a very easy application process and another who had to get affidavits from every single person who has ever quickpaid/sent her money through a 3rd party vendor. I’ve read about people having to make appeals because they were denied to due to bonuses. It’s honestly on a case by case basis so because one person had an easy paper work experience doesn’t mean every single person will even if you have 1 source of income. Income is not the only paperwork you have to provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery