Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,043 times

Advertisements

I've seen some says they contact you base on your log number but that's not true I've applied for Gotham i have a low number 1×× but someone who is in the 1××× got called. What i see is the only thing that matters is preference. Since someone told me ill be one of the last one to get called i just gave up and going with the flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 03:03 PM

102 posts, read 156,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensgirly View Post
I've seen some says they contact you base on your log number but that's not true I've applied for Gotham i have a low number 1×× but someone who is in the 1××× got called. What i see is the only thing that matters is preference. Since someone told me ill be one of the last one to get called i just gave up and going with the flow.
I believe the only real reason they should be contacting people out of order is if they're looking for qualified applicants for units in two different AMIs. For example, to fairly fill the 60 AMI units they may need to tactfully review those first 100 candidates more slowly and carefully but to fill the 130 AMI units they may need to go a lot deeper into the logs just to gather an initial pool of qualified applicants. In that scenario it makes sense, and thinking about it more specifically I've also seen that happen but that said, nobody with a higher log should be contacted before someone applying for the units in the same AMI bracket unless they're in a preference group.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:02 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
There’s thread after thread and post after post about when they’re going to be called because they have:

1. A low log number
2. Community board preference
3. Municipal employee
4. Higher AMI
5. Family size

None of that is a guarantee that they will contact you. It’s a lottery, it’s at random. Having the log number of 1 is no indication they will call you. There are people with the most random log numbers being called. If they do call or contact you, all you can do is submit your paperwork to see if you qualify for the unit.

Also, being contacted does not mean you won the lottery. This is a misconception. It just means it is the preliminary round before the HPD approval or rejection, really anything can happen in the meanwhile.

Also, read the marketing handbook. Many of the answers can be found there especially regarding housing vouchers that anyone has. It can give you all of the information or ask your caseworker. It pains me seeing people ask why they can only move into a one bedroom unit when they have the income for a two bedroom when the voucher states what unit you can move into. The voucher takes precedence even when you are awarded the lottery.

Another thing, while I understand the housing lottery is for affordable housing, if you can afford market rate rent, there really isn’t a need to continue hoping for the lottery. I’m talking about people who fit into the 80-90% to 165% AMI. The documentation is excessive, a market rate apartment would not ask for that much information. If you’re earning that much, the apartments in those AMI are a lot more expensive and smaller than what you can rent on the free market. Rent stabilized units do and can increase, it is minimal. It doesn’t mean that it doesn’t increase at all (generally speaking).

I see a lot of people being disappointed about not receiving a phone call and I understand that housing is expensive in this city, but it’s really a gamble. In many of these buildings, the homeless are selected to move into a percentage of the units. This is probably why it’s harder for people in the 30-50% AMI have a harder time being called, they’re already designated for the population. Just keep trying, but don’t wait for years to hope to be called. A lot of us have applied for ten years plus with no chance to move into a unit, so good luck to y’all.
Welcom to NYC where the politicians have made it their sole job to give our free/subsidized ****. In turn, people become entitled.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:59 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I do want to point out that if a person has a log number of 1, that individual will be called. People are called in order of log numbers. The lottery produces the log numbers. And they are called in order.
I am sympathetic to this statement.

However, what follows is a just a hypothetical scenario. I don’t claim that it has ever occurred or will ever occur.
In the smallest lottery of one unit only, and where preferences are in use, a #1 log may not prevail if it lacks preferences because any log# greater than 1 with preferences can elect to accept the only unit.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:15 PM

264 posts, read 313,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensgirly View Post
I think I’m the person with the 1xxx log number that you’re referring to, lol. I was called early because I have a “relatively” low number and I have the mobility disability preference which gets selected for processing, first. You are correct - the preferences are what matter when it comes to who gets called, but once the preferences are sorted out, everything goes in order after that. So technically, it is about your log number, it’s just that the group (preference, set-asides) you’re in is why you may see folks with higher numbers go before you.

I’m assuming by your post that you don’t have preferences, correct? When they get to general population, with a number of 1xx you’re pretty much guaranteed to get called. Gotham is moving along at a faster speed than most lotteries, so you could get called a lot faster than you think.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,043 times
@RGC74
Thanks, I only have 5% for NYC employee. But ill wait i wont rush the process.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:54 AM

726 posts, read 808,393 times
What everyone here is missing is that she talking abt the post or threads where ppl are asking “why wasn’t I called my log is 2xx?” Or the constant “what are my chances my log is 2xx?” A few of her statements were incorrect yes but some weren’t to the point were yes they view you in order but there are things in the background we may not see that will cause you to not be contacted. Many times as someone said before applicants have a false sense of why they should be contacted. No one in this forum can tell you your chances absolutely no one we can all share log number for a building yet all be looked over for different reason that we are unaware of. Just take 420 Kent for example there were so many of us who had the widest range of logs contacted early paperwork was given and 85% of the thread was waitlisted none of us even know why.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:22 AM

515 posts, read 525,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
What everyone here is missing is that she talking abt the post or threads where ppl are asking “why wasn’t I called my log is 2xx?” Or the constant “what are my chances my log is 2xx?” A few of her statements were incorrect yes but some weren’t to the point were yes they view you in order but there are things in the background we may not see that will cause you to not be contacted. Many times as someone said before applicants have a false sense of why they should be contacted. No one in this forum can tell you your chances absolutely no one we can all share log number for a building yet all be looked over for different reason that we are unaware of. Just take 420 Kent for example there were so many of us who had the widest range of logs contacted early paperwork was given and 85% of the thread was waitlisted none of us even know why.
I believe everyone is on her case because her wording as a whole is wrong and her advice is filled with misinformation. If you read any of her other posts she’s constantly telling people that a low log number means nothing because it’s a lottery. So many people on here have stated exactly how these lotteries work and the marketing handbook states it as well. Like I said in my previous post to Lani this is a forum people come on here to share their experiences and that includes their frustrations and disappointments and questions that an experienced applicant might find annoying. I’m pretty sure that all or at least the vast majority of the posters that ask those questions of do I have a chance are first time posters that are barely familiar with the rules.

Also just want to touch base on your example on the 420 Kent lottery because I spoke directly with the HPD project manager. The reason why we all got waitlisted was because we were never supposed to be contacted in the first place. Reside NY contacted an exaggerated amount of applicants because “just in case someone gets denied.” I personally believe they were using our information to try and fill lotteries that they were having trouble filling but obviously the project manager couldn’t say that.

At the beginning of COVID a rule was created that the marketing agents were only allowed to contact applicants that’s log number were indeed to be processed, now I don’t know if that was ever made a permanent rule and because I don’t come on here often to read all threads I’m not sure how often people are still getting waitlisted now. Pre-pandemic it was happening all the time with all the lotteries.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:26 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,397,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
I believe everyone is on her case because her wording as a whole is wrong and her advice is filled with misinformation. If you read any of her other posts she’s constantly telling people that a low log number means nothing because it’s a lottery. So many people on here have stated exactly how these lotteries work and the marketing handbook states it as well. Like I said in my previous post to Lani this is a forum people come on here to share their experiences and that includes their frustrations and disappointments and questions that an experienced applicant might find annoying. I’m pretty sure that all or at least the vast majority of the posters that ask those questions of do I have a chance are first time posters that are barely familiar with the rules.

Also just want to touch base on your example on the 420 Kent lottery because I spoke directly with the HPD project manager. The reason why we all got waitlisted was because we were never supposed to be contacted in the first place. Reside NY contacted an exaggerated amount of applicants because “just in case someone gets denied.” I personally believe they were using our information to try and fill lotteries that they were having trouble filling but obviously the project manager couldn’t say that.

At the beginning of COVID a rule was created that the marketing agents were only allowed to contact applicants that’s log number were indeed to be processed, now I don’t know if that was ever made a permanent rule and because I don’t come on here often to read all threads I’m not sure how often people are still getting waitlisted now. Pre-pandemic it was happening all the time with all the lotteries.
I think now the advertise buildings specifically for wait-lists. There’s a new one today on the site for a building in Brooklyn that’s only taking applications for a waitlist.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:47 AM

214 posts, read 219,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
No it does not. You can be called in order of the lottery but there is no guarantee they call everyone. Please don’t criticize me. You need the housing more than I do. I’m not complaining over people turning the lottery apartments down like you were. My point still stands. It’s a lottery. No one is guaranteed a call or email. It’s really random. I also had a low log number and have never been called as opposed to having a higher log number and I never had any preferences. Which makes my point valid.
"Please don’t criticize me." The entire purpose of your post was to criticize others, so I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery