Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 09:16 AM

515 posts, read 526,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
I think now the advertise buildings specifically for wait-lists. There’s a new one today on the site for a building in Brooklyn that’s only taking applications for a waitlist.
Prior to HC2 many of us use to get the request for documentation email and end up on a waitlist because all units ended up being filled before our log number was reached, that was what I was referring to.

I’m not sure how waitlists are actually working now or why there’s lotteries to be added to a waitlist my guess is when all original applications have been processed(accepted, rejected, etc.) and there’s not many left on a waitlist then a lottery is ran to be fair. The lottery building I live in has leasing in my building and I’ve become very good friends with the leasing agent and we were just talking about how she has so many current tenants asking if anyone has left any lottery apartments and she tells them all no but that what she can do is add them to the waitlist herself, no lottery required to be on the waitlist at least not for my building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 09:21 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,403,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Prior to HC2 many of us use to get the request for documentation email and end up on a waitlist because all units ended up being filled before our log number was reached, that was what I was referring to.

I’m not sure how waitlists are actually working now or why there’s lotteries to be added to a waitlist my guess is when all original applications have been processed(accepted, rejected, etc.) and there’s not many left on a waitlist then a lottery is ran to be fair. The lottery building I live in has leasing in my building and I’ve become very good friends with the leasing agent and we were just talking about how she has so many current tenants asking if anyone has left any lottery apartments and she tells them all no but that what she can do is add them to the waitlist herself, no lottery required to be on the waitlist at least not for my building.
I think it all depends on the building. There is a lottery building not too far from where I live and I asked them a couple of months ago if they had any open units via affordable housing she said yes but waiting to hear from the city as to when they can advertise the open units they had on housing connect and that she could put me on the waitlist for now. No idea how that works when they finally get on housing connect.

I have noticed that less people are getting those emails about waitlists and more buildings advertising on housing connect for vacant units/wait-lists specifically.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:56 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,737,191 times
Look, this system is not simple, and not everyone has the luxury of uninterrupted time to read around and find the handbook, interpret it, etc., or the education to easily understand what they find. If you have time to help, then help. If not, there's no need to even read the forum, right?

Old 03-28-2022, 02:33 PM

64 posts, read 81,420 times
The whole point of this forum is to give each other moral support, advice, and suggestions. I don't get what's so upsetting about it that you felt you needed to post all that. I'm glad we have this place to communicate with each other throughout what can be a very stressful and nerve-wracking experience. If you don't like it, leave.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:14 PM

171 posts, read 195,783 times
choco89 - I couldn't agree more!! I couldn't have said it better myself. This site has been helpful in may ways!! The negativity is not needed. There's always that one!! Looks to me like they applied via HC got a unit but came on here to voice a unwanted opinion.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:49 PM

264 posts, read 314,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
I believe everyone is on her case because her wording as a whole is wrong and her advice is filled with misinformation. If you read any of her other posts she’s constantly telling people that a low log number means nothing because it’s a lottery. So many people on here have stated exactly how these lotteries work and the marketing handbook states it as well. Like I said in my previous post to Lani this is a forum people come on here to share their experiences and that includes their frustrations and disappointments and questions that an experienced applicant might find annoying. I’m pretty sure that all or at least the vast majority of the posters that ask those questions of do I have a chance are first time posters that are barely familiar with the rules.

Also just want to touch base on your example on the 420 Kent lottery because I spoke directly with the HPD project manager. The reason why we all got waitlisted was because we were never supposed to be contacted in the first place. Reside NY contacted an exaggerated amount of applicants because “just in case someone gets denied.” I personally believe they were using our information to try and fill lotteries that they were having trouble filling but obviously the project manager couldn’t say that.

At the beginning of COVID a rule was created that the marketing agents were only allowed to contact applicants that’s log number were indeed to be processed, now I don’t know if that was ever made a permanent rule and because I don’t come on here often to read all threads I’m not sure how often people are still getting waitlisted now. Pre-pandemic it was happening all the time with all the lotteries.
Wow!! I hope this is still a rule…it is so frustrating to go through multiple rounds of document submission, only to be told that you’ve been waitlisted. Been there, done that. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:39 PM

Well, no. Because if a person takes the maximum time to submit documents, gets denied, and goes through both stages of appeals--that's a couple months right there. Meanwhile, the person right behind them doesn't even get asked to submit their documents until all that is done, and then the merry-go-round starts up again. It's just not efficient to ONLY process as many applications as there are available apartments. You guys think the process is slow now, well...

Old 03-30-2022, 08:05 AM

264 posts, read 314,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Well, no. Because if a person takes the maximum time to submit documents, gets denied, and goes through both stages of appeals--that's a couple months right there. Meanwhile, the person right behind them doesn't even get asked to submit their documents until all that is done, and then the merry-go-round starts up again. It's just not efficient to ONLY process as many applications as there are available apartments. You guys think the process is slow now, well...
I agree, but what I think she was saying was that they had gone far beyond what was reasonable in pulling applications for processing. If a building has 200 apartments, maybe 300 applicants is a reasonable amount because everyone is not going to make it to processing or complete it. But to grab 400 ahead, might be overreaching and ends up wasting a lot of folks’ time. However, maybe they overreach to secure a long waitlist…I’d rather they re-advertise for waitlists and let that be standard practice.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:33 AM

True, it's definitely possible to call too many people. I don't know how often that happens, as I don't think there's a specific rule about the ratio of contacts to spots. I wouldn't be surprised if agencies mess that up like they mess up everything else.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:48 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,403,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
True, it's definitely possible to call too many people. I don't know how often that happens, as I don't think there's a specific rule about the ratio of contacts to spots. I wouldn't be surprised if agencies mess that up like they mess up everything else.
I think it happens less often now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery