Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 4,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
What everyone here is missing is that she talking abt the post or threads where ppl are asking “why wasn’t I called my log is 2xx?” Or the constant “what are my chances my log is 2xx?” A few of her statements were incorrect yes but some weren’t to the point were yes they view you in order but there are things in the background we may not see that will cause you to not be contacted. Many times as someone said before applicants have a false sense of why they should be contacted. No one in this forum can tell you your chances absolutely no one we can all share log number for a building yet all be looked over for different reason that we are unaware of. Just take 420 Kent for example there were so many of us who had the widest range of logs contacted early paperwork was given and 85% of the thread was waitlisted none of us even know why.

I don’t post I usually just read to learn and inform myself and recently just registered but I had to respond to this. I may be wrong but I believe this forum was made so that people can help each other, get insight on the process, etc. I’m sorry we’re all not extremely knowledgeable in any of this and some of us come here with our annoying “constant,” questions. If its annoying to constantly read “what are my chances my log,” and whatever else, I don’t think it’s hard to skip over it. It’s better to not say anything at all then to seem mean causing people to not want to use this forum. Yes go read the handbook, yes go educate yourself further then this forum but its not what you say, but how you say it. This post was mean. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been using this forum or applying to these lotteries, it doesn’t give you the right to be mean. There’s plenty of times a lot of of us read a question for the umpteenth time but we didn’t choose to insult anyone with a response or whole thread dedicated to being mean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 01:01 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,037,225 times
As I understand it, the real part of the lottery is simply getting a lower number. So if you're number 1 you should absolutely question if people of log 700 get contacted - of course if you qualify.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:04 PM

603 posts, read 600,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatima1919 View Post
I don’t post I usually just read to learn and inform myself and recently just registered but I had to respond to this. I may be wrong but I believe this forum was made so that people can help each other, get insight on the process, etc. I’m sorry we’re all not extremely knowledgeable in any of this and some of us come here with our annoying “constant,” questions. If its annoying to constantly read “what are my chances my log,” and whatever else, I don’t think it’s hard to skip over it. It’s better to not say anything at all then to seem mean causing people to not want to use this forum. Yes go read the handbook, yes go educate yourself further then this forum but its not what you say, but how you say it. This post was mean. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been using this forum or applying to these lotteries, it doesn’t give you the right to be mean. There’s plenty of times a lot of of us read a question for the umpteenth time but we didn’t choose to insult anyone with a response or whole thread dedicated to being mean...
yes! thank you!

Old 03-30-2022, 01:26 PM

453 posts, read 499,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
yes! thank you!
Seconded, both of you! I am very grateful to the people of this forum (well, the kind, helpful and patient ones!) for their knowledge and insight. I've definitely asked a lot of "stupid" questions here and I'm very thankful for the useful answers I've been given. I try to ignore those that pop up with sarcastic comments and negativity or try to gatekeep this community - I do wish they would scroll past instead of commenting - it isn't hard to ignore threads that don't concern you.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 4,574 times
Lol at the gate keepers. I noticed that too. Everyone is trying to get a apartment. The marketing agents aren’t bumping people applications up for being long city data members. I seen people feeling because they been here a while, it’s ok to be mean to new people. Being a newbie or lacking knowledge in regards to housing connect don’t make you less than or warrant anyone’s disrespect. What matters is if you’re able to help someone out or if people are able to help you out. If its too stupid, MOVE ON To the next thread. SIMPLE.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:09 PM

145 posts, read 136,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
There’s thread after thread and post after post about when they’re going to be called because they have:

1. A low log number
2. Community board preference
3. Municipal employee
4. Higher AMI
5. Family size

None of that is a guarantee that they will contact you. It’s a lottery, it’s at random. Having the log number of 1 is no indication they will call you. There are people with the most random log numbers being called. If they do call or contact you, all you can do is submit your paperwork to see if you qualify for the unit.

Also, being contacted does not mean you won the lottery. This is a misconception. It just means it is the preliminary round before the HPD approval or rejection, really anything can happen in the meanwhile.

Also, read the marketing handbook. Many of the answers can be found there especially regarding housing vouchers that anyone has. It can give you all of the information or ask your caseworker. It pains me seeing people ask why they can only move into a one bedroom unit when they have the income for a two bedroom when the voucher states what unit you can move into. The voucher takes precedence even when you are awarded the lottery.

Another thing, while I understand the housing lottery is for affordable housing, if you can afford market rate rent, there really isn’t a need to continue hoping for the lottery. I’m talking about people who fit into the 80-90% to 165% AMI. The documentation is excessive, a market rate apartment would not ask for that much information. If you’re earning that much, the apartments in those AMI are a lot more expensive and smaller than what you can rent on the free market. Rent stabilized units do and can increase, it is minimal. It doesn’t mean that it doesn’t increase at all (generally speaking).

I see a lot of people being disappointed about not receiving a phone call and I understand that housing is expensive in this city, but it’s really a gamble. In many of these buildings, the homeless are selected to move into a percentage of the units. This is probably why it’s harder for people in the 30-50% AMI have a harder time being called, they’re already designated for the population. Just keep trying, but don’t wait for years to hope to be called. A lot of us have applied for ten years plus with no chance to move into a unit, so good luck to y’all.
With housing vouchers that’s false. Whatever income guideline it falls in they will offer it.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:05 PM

726 posts, read 812,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatima1919 View Post
I’m not clear on where the miscommunication came from. I personally did not call anyone or their comments “annoying”, also I have never been mean to anyone using this forum. I absolutely skip over comments if I find them irrelevant. What I was attempting to do is provide clarity on what the originator of this post may have been saying. As someone who has never read the handbook I have learned my everything through my experience with housing and I even get things wrong. You will see as you go along the minor things cause ppl on this forum to be rude and mean, but my comment was not meant to be that

Old 03-31-2022, 12:47 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
you all don't understand the process of how the lottery works. you can have either a low or high log number, to be selected. it doesn't matter. applicants are selected from a random pool group from the lower log # to the highest and called. the lower logs have the priority because they of course see and select the unit first. just because you were assigned a log #, no matter if it's high or low, doesn't automatically entitle you to be called. it doesn't work like that.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:57 PM

136 posts, read 116,547 times
I think that sometimes we get caught up in our frustration, neurosis and forget that we are all in the same boat of looking for that golden ticket. It is frustrating to hear the same question over and over again, so much so that we forget that we may be/been in that same situation. It boils down to not having enough information and getting anxious, getting nervous and holding on to hope so tight that it can't breathe.
Truth is this lottery is nerve wracking. So many of us are here because we want a change. We are looking for that chance to have or live somewhere different, struggle less and live more. We can get stuck in our own anxiety and frustration and react to others in a way that is lacking tact and yes there are those off us that don't care about tact and other people's feelings. It is true we do forget sometimes that this is a lottery there are so many things that we do not know how the inner working go on even though it is supposed to be 'transparent' in theory.
I guess sometimes it just seems as if other are so busy asking questions that they are not looking for answers, sometimes they just need a safe place to voice their anxiety/frustration and or joy. We are all in this search in this city seeking an opportunity no matter our bottom line for a chance to live a little bit less tight to our wallet.
At least that is the way I see it

Old 03-31-2022, 01:42 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,403,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconyte View Post
I think that sometimes we get caught up in our frustration, neurosis and forget that we are all in the same boat of looking for that golden ticket. It is frustrating to hear the same question over and over again, so much so that we forget that we may be/been in that same situation. It boils down to not having enough information and getting anxious, getting nervous and holding on to hope so tight that it can't breathe.
Truth is this lottery is nerve wracking. So many of us are here because we want a change. We are looking for that chance to have or live somewhere different, struggle less and live more. We can get stuck in our own anxiety and frustration and react to others in a way that is lacking tact and yes there are those off us that don't care about tact and other people's feelings. It is true we do forget sometimes that this is a lottery there are so many things that we do not know how the inner working go on even though it is supposed to be 'transparent' in theory.
I guess sometimes it just seems as if other are so busy asking questions that they are not looking for answers, sometimes they just need a safe place to voice their anxiety/frustration and or joy. We are all in this search in this city seeking an opportunity no matter our bottom line for a chance to live a little bit less tight to our wallet.
At least that is the way I see it
Totally agree! & honestly HPD is not 100% transparent about this process plus each building is different. So its great that this forum is a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery