Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 09:56 PM

954 posts, read 932,592 times

Advertisements

There’s thread after thread and post after post about when they’re going to be called because they have:

1. A low log number
2. Community board preference
3. Municipal employee
4. Higher AMI
5. Family size

None of that is a guarantee that they will contact you. It’s a lottery, it’s at random. Having the log number of 1 is no indication they will call you. There are people with the most random log numbers being called. If they do call or contact you, all you can do is submit your paperwork to see if you qualify for the unit.

Also, being contacted does not mean you won the lottery. This is a misconception. It just means it is the preliminary round before the HPD approval or rejection, really anything can happen in the meanwhile.

Also, read the marketing handbook. Many of the answers can be found there especially regarding housing vouchers that anyone has. It can give you all of the information or ask your caseworker. It pains me seeing people ask why they can only move into a one bedroom unit when they have the income for a two bedroom when the voucher states what unit you can move into. The voucher takes precedence even when you are awarded the lottery.

Another thing, while I understand the housing lottery is for affordable housing, if you can afford market rate rent, there really isn’t a need to continue hoping for the lottery. I’m talking about people who fit into the 80-90% to 165% AMI. The documentation is excessive, a market rate apartment would not ask for that much information. If you’re earning that much, the apartments in those AMI are a lot more expensive and smaller than what you can rent on the free market. Rent stabilized units do and can increase, it is minimal. It doesn’t mean that it doesn’t increase at all (generally speaking).

I see a lot of people being disappointed about not receiving a phone call and I understand that housing is expensive in this city, but it’s really a gamble. In many of these buildings, the homeless are selected to move into a percentage of the units. This is probably why it’s harder for people in the 30-50% AMI have a harder time being called, they’re already designated for the population. Just keep trying, but don’t wait for years to hope to be called. A lot of us have applied for ten years plus with no chance to move into a unit, so good luck to y’all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 10:14 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
There’s thread after thread and post after post about when they’re going to be called because they have:

1. A low log number
3. Municipal employee
4. Higher AMI
5. Family size

None of that is a guarantee that they will contact you. It’s a lottery, it’s at random. Having the log number of 1 is no indication they will call you. There are people with the most random log numbers being called. If they do call or contact you, all you can do is submit your paperwork to see if you qualify for the unit.

Also, being contacted does not mean you won the lottery. This is a misconception. It just means it is the preliminary round before the HPD approval or rejection, really anything can happen in the meanwhile.

Also, read the marketing handbook. Many of the answers can be found there especially regarding housing vouchers that anyone has. It can give you all of the information or ask your caseworker. It pains me seeing people ask why they can only move into a one bedroom unit when they have the income for a two bedroom when the voucher states what unit you can move into. The voucher takes precedence even when you are awarded the lottery.

Another thing, while I understand the housing lottery is for affordable housing, if you can afford market rate rent, there really isn’t a need to continue hoping for the lottery. I’m talking about people who fit into the 80-90% to 165% AMI. The documentation is excessive, a market rate apartment would not ask for that much information. If you’re earning that much, the apartments in those AMI are a lot more expensive and smaller than what you can rent on the free market. Rent stabilized units do and can increase, it is minimal. It doesn’t mean that it doesn’t increase at all (generally speaking).

I see a lot of people being disappointed about not receiving a phone call and I understand that housing is expensive in this city, but it’s really a gamble. In many of these buildings, the homeless are selected to move into a percentage of the units. This is probably why it’s harder for people in the 30-50% AMI have a harder time being called, they’re already designated for the population. Just keep trying, but don’t wait for years to hope to be called. A lot of us have applied for ten years plus with no chance to move into a unit, so good luck to y’all.
Well all righty now....

Old 03-26-2022, 10:17 PM

726 posts, read 807,394 times
Haaaaaaa and they won’t stop asking or complaining

Old 03-26-2022, 10:25 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post

1. A low log number
3. Municipal employee
4. Higher AMI
5. Family size

like HELLO???!

+1

Old 03-27-2022, 05:57 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I do want to point out that if a person has a log number of 1, that individual will be called. People are called in order of log numbers. The lottery produces the log numbers. And they are called in order.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:02 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,835,300 times
My experience so far when I applied the housing lottery is to forget about it & move on with my life. Time went by & suddenly got called, that was a sweet surprise for me! That's how I won my unit.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:05 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
There are A LOT of new people using housing connect. A couple of these buildings are posting on StreetEasy so I’m assuming people who never knew about housing connect or how the lottery works are bringing more traffic to the site.

This will help a lot of new people who don’t know how it works

Old 03-27-2022, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 5,802 times
Agreed, but the market rates in NYC are much higher than most of the apartments in the lottery if not all of them. I just wone a studio apt in Manhattan in a very nice brand-new building with decent amenities... for $1,700. That is a lot of money but a unit like this would not be possible otherwise for a middle-income person anywhere in NYC. Go on StreetEasy do a search for $1,700 and see what comes up, it is depressing. I feel for anyone looking for anything decent and affordable in this city.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:30 AM

347 posts, read 355,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I do want to point out that if a person has a log number of 1, that individual will be called. People are called in order of log numbers. The lottery produces the log numbers. And they are called in order.
Unless you know the employee processing the apps and bribe them with cash.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:42 AM

122 posts, read 118,747 times
Sheesh lol tell us how y’all really feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery