Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2022, 05:15 AM

171 posts, read 195,406 times

Advertisements

Hi, I understand this is a LOTTERY and PURE luck!! I have CB pref and the building i'm manifesting and hoping for is not move in ready yet (so in my mind i still have a chance to be contacted). I find this forum extremely helpful when it comes to sharing our experience. My log # is 49,xxx and i fall into 3 AMIs as well. My question is, has anyone with CB pref been contacted with a high log#?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 06:23 AM

45 posts, read 54,636 times
To my best knowledge, once a lottery is closed, they gather the # of applications that were received, weed out any duplicates/errors and then begin the lottery selection. Log #’s are assigned in the order of your application getting pulled so it’s a no brainer to say the lower your log #, the first it’ll get contacted for.

Having your preference might give you an edge, but think about you being behind almost 49,xxx people not assuming they might have preferences as well and the amount of units avaliable in the lottery that doesn’t get scooped up.

They move onto the next log # if the applicant doesn’t want it or is disqualified for it.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:40 AM

8 posts, read 8,811 times
Log numbers are randomly assigned by the governing city agency once the marketing period closes. Applicants are contacted in batches starting with Mobility and Hearing/Visual Preference (approx 5% of the units). CB pref is the second group to be contacted and usually 50% of the units are reserved (minus the 5% disability pref). It is not uncommon for to reach log #s up to 40,000s for CB pref in a large project containing 200+ affordable units, especially if you are 100% AMI or higher, middle /moderate units are notoriously harder to fill. Odds of reaching 49,xxx are much less likely in a smaller project with less units, especially if in Manhattan.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:46 AM

43 posts, read 37,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS6777 View Post
Hi, I understand this is a LOTTERY and PURE luck!! I have CB pref and the building i'm manifesting and hoping for is not move in ready yet (so in my mind i still have a chance to be contacted). I find this forum extremely helpful when it comes to sharing our experience. My log # is 49,xxx and i fall into 3 AMIs as well. My question is, has anyone with CB pref been contacted with a high log#?
I've been called with a 27*** number in my cb but I also have mobility, vision and hearing preferences. However when my log number was called, it was a "no units available" notice. I also got called for a 18*** in my cb but decided not to move forward.

I'm on the list for a lot of buildings in my cb, they don't call because it seems as though my log numbers are the highest in my own community. Also, it seems as though the disability preferences mean absolutely nothing.

However it really depends on the lottery and how many AMI you fall into and how many people before you either get rejected or don't accept the apartment. Also keep in mind they may call a lot of people and only one may get the apartment. They have to establish waiting list for the properties so not every call is going to result in an apartment.

It's discouraging but its the truth.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:56 AM

726 posts, read 810,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS6777 View Post
I’ve been called with a log of 54k and I had cb……… the lottery is some luck when you have a high log since you have to hope that the ppl below you. Don’t get scared just relax, I’ve been doing this and using this forum for a few years and I notice the more I stress a building I don’t get called

Old 04-03-2022, 07:44 AM

175 posts, read 177,090 times
Just providing some additional perspective here. I applied for a lottery in 2018 and got a log number of 24,XXX with NO preferences whatsoever and in 2020 they reached out to offer me a studio apartment. With CB preference, it just depends on how many people before you also have CB pref and if they run out of those set-aside units before they get to your number. So under the right circumstances, you definitely have a chance with that high log number and CB preference if the building has a lot of units available. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2022, 11:49 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,642,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1010 View Post
Also, it seems as though the disability preferences mean absolutely nothing.
I disagree. It’s not absolutely nothing it’s absolutely a small number. The percentage of units for set aside for: 5% Mobility; and 2% Vision/Hearing. 5% and 2% are small percentages.

A lottery with 20 units will only have 1 mobility unit. A lottery with 50 units will only have 1 Vision/Hearing unit. For building with only one or two disability units for log#s with disability preference to prevail it still have to be lower than all other log#s with that preference.

Once the set asides for disability preferences have been filled, and they are typically just a few, then disability preferences for remaining log# lose their power.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:58 AM

43 posts, read 37,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I disagree. It’s not absolutely nothing it’s absolutely a small number. The percentage of units for set aside for: 5% Mobility; and 2% Vision/Hearing. 5% and 2% are small percentages.

A lottery with 20 units will only have 1 mobility unit. A lottery with 50 units will only have 1 Vision/Hearing unit. For building with only one or two disability units for log#s with disability preference to prevail it still have to be lower than all other log#s with that preference.

Once the set asides for disability preferences have been filled, and they are typically just a few, then disability preferences for remaining log# lose their power.

Hi

I appreciate your response

I appreciate your feedback but I don't need explanation as I already live in a lottery building, this is actually my second lottery unit. I'm just venting and sharing experiences as we all come to do

You are right its 5% and 2% so I always have a 7 percent preference. However I always deduct half of the units in my ami if it's not my cb. So if it's only 4 units, I only qualify for one.

What I mean about it not meaning nothing is that once the mobility, vision and hearing preferences are filled we must wait for the general lottery. Once we are in the general lottery we don't qualify for units until someone moves out of an accessible unit. Once you claim mobility, vision and hearing you only qualify for those specific units. So we have preferences and get called first but once it's gone, it's gone until someone moves out or they can't fill that unit (re rental)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: