Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 02:56 PM

6 posts, read 3,969 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, i am new to this. i saw a listing on streeteasy, went to check it out in person, ended up applying because i meet the income requirements and i provided all documents to the agent and now they said the management will review it. but i'm confused because it's an hdc unit, but i never entered the lottery on the housing connect site, never had a log number, none of what i'm reading on this forums. I just went in person to check it out and then applied by giving all my documents to the agent. so i'm wondering how I was able to apply if I didn't enter the lottery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 03:17 PM

347 posts, read 357,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softieb View Post
hey everyone, i am new to this. i saw a listing on streeteasy, went to check it out in person, ended up applying because i meet the income requirements and i provided all documents to the agent and now they said the management will review it. but i'm confused because it's an hdc unit, but i never entered the lottery on the housing connect site, never had a log number, none of what i'm reading on this forums. I just went in person to check it out and then applied by giving all my documents to the agent. so i'm wondering how I was able to apply if I didn't enter the lottery?
They likely added you to the lottery and the log numbers haven't been drawn yet. Which property?

Old 04-03-2022, 04:33 PM

the lottery closed in summer 2021. i dont want to say the property yet because i wanna get approved first and i'm not sure if exposing it would reduce my chances somehow. but the building is regularly doing open houses and has multiple listings up on streeteasy

Old 04-03-2022, 04:51 PM

29 posts, read 19,994 times
I just applied to a similar unit.

I'm pretty sure these are former lottery units that are now being vacated. From what I gather, the same leasing company that conducts the lottery puts the unit back out onto Streeteasy, and then it's first-come first-serve, basically whoever submits all the docs and views the unit first gets evaluated first. Looks like you and I were the lucky ones for our respective units.

Management reviewed my docs last week and submitted them to HPD/HDC, and now I'm waiting to hear back. The leasing agent said they process the applications one at a time. Assuming you and I have met all the requirements, we should be offered a lease. (You won't jeopardize it by revealing the name of it, because you're the only person they're considering right now.)

In my case, they said the process shouldn't take more than 10 days, so I'm hoping to hear back in the coming week. Let me know how yours goes.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:56 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,402,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstreet View Post

I'm pretty sure these are former lottery units that are now being vacated. From what I gather, the same leasing company that conducts the lottery puts the unit back out onto Streeteasy, and then it's first-come first-serve, basically whoever submits all the docs and views the unit first gets evaluated first. Looks like you and I were the lucky ones for our respective units.

Management reviewed my docs last week and submitted them to HPD/HDC, and now I'm waiting to hear back. The leasing agent said they process the applications one at a time. Assuming you and I have met all the requirements, we should be offered a lease. (You won't jeopardize it by revealing the name of it, because you're the only person they're considering right now.)

In my case, they said the process shouldn't take more than 10 days, so I'm hoping to hear back in the coming week. Let me know how yours goes.
Which building was this for that you applied to?

Old 04-04-2022, 06:44 AM

494 posts, read 558,004 times
Was it 266 kent? That is strange if it is because it says you have until the 18th to apply at 266kentlottery.com . A broker showed you a unit and you applied with them?

Old 04-04-2022, 06:56 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,402,143 times
Don’t think it was 266Kennt. The first person said it closed last year & 266 Kent is still open.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:35 AM

300 posts, read 213,096 times
This seems very strange. I also read a post on Reddit of this happening to someone last month.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
This seems very strange. I also read a post on Reddit of this happening to someone last month.
do you have the link of the reddit post? it is not 266 Kent, by the way.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstreet View Post

interesting, i see. it didn't look like the unit was ever lived in though, and the agent said the building is still growing its occupancy. they told me the process would also take 7-10 days. hope we both get approved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery