Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 03:21 PM

78 posts, read 28,396 times

Advertisements

1 - Is it a good idea to send documents along with my partner if i did not make enough income?
2 - Are only Self-Employment Net Income eligible?

Notes:

- I applied as a single person for a studio/1BR and my application got "reached" (yay i "won"!)

- I am self-employed, made less money during the pandemic and received some Unemployment Benefits in 2020-21. Work is slowly starting to resume in my field (entertainment)

- However, because of loss of job during the pandemic, my income might not meet the income criteria of the housing in question (Cloth Amsterdam in Manhattan)

- I currently do not live with my partner, we both have our own places - however that could be something to consider, especially if it helps my eligibility, as it seems our combined income could still be eligible for Studio/1BR

- Deadline is next week April 22 - I m trying to decide whether or not i should continue with the application (sending documents)

Thank you for any advice here.
Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 03:40 PM

347 posts, read 357,049 times
I suspect if you don't qualify, they disqualify you.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:49 PM

4,772 posts, read 6,571,114 times
If you are not currently living with your partner, you will not be considered a "household," and it will be tough convincing HPD that you are unless you have a joint bank account, a child, or something else in common along those lines.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:34 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
You applied as a single person, and technically far as HPD/developer is concerned still are. You and your partner have not combined yourselves into a household, and unless can show proof of such as outlined in handbook, that option is O-W-T, out.

If you truly want this apartment send in documents as requested and see where chips fall. There are only three responses; approved, denied, or a request for more information.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:47 PM

2,027 posts, read 1,642,464 times
Page 43 on income.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

If you pursue this lottery you will likely learn about the process and can use that knowledge in the future.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:54 PM

You have not “won” anything yet. You have reached the point of having your application evaluated.

Also in the handbook table of contents “ 5-3 Changes To An Application”, and “ C. Proof Of Extenuating Circumstances” pages 40 and 42.

The first task is to meet the deadline. Do that even if you are missing a document or two. If you are rejected you can appeal. There is a section in the handbook.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:58 PM

29 posts, read 19,977 times
Check out my guide to getting approved while self-employed and see if anything in there helps. https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...hile-self.html

Old 04-22-2022, 01:09 PM

78 posts, read 28,396 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 04-22-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locataire1 View Post
Thanks everyone!
You are welcome. Thank you.

You might recalculate your income and think darn I doubt qualify, and then drop your application. Do Not Reject Yourself, you are not authorized or educated to do this. You could make a mistake not in your favor. Let the lottery people do the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: