Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 06:24 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,405,809 times

Advertisements

The 421a tax break ( property tax exemption in New York that is given to real-estate developers for building new multi-family residential housing buildings in New York City. It’s granted to property developers in exchange for including affordable housing )

With it expiring this June does anyone know how we can express our concerns and frustration with it to the people in power? There are a lot of us here who agree that not enough lower AMIs are included as well as the higher AMI rent prices being more on the unaffordable end. I mean it’s just over all not as affordable these days.

There are thousands of us here on the forum and I think our concerns should be heard by the people who will be making the change. Anyone know how to go about that? I know on the nyc.gov website we can write a letter to Eric Adams but I’m not sure if that will make any waves.

Open for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 07:57 PM

453 posts, read 499,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
The 421a tax break ( property tax exemption in New York that is given to real-estate developers for building new multi-family residential housing buildings in New York City. It’s granted to property developers in exchange for including affordable housing )

With it expiring this June does anyone know how we can express our concerns and frustration with it to the people in power? There are a lot of us here who agree that not enough lower AMIs are included as well as the higher AMI rent prices being more on the unaffordable end. I mean it’s just over all not as affordable these days.

There are thousands of us here on the forum and I think our concerns should be heard by the people who will be making the change. Anyone know how to go about that? I know on the nyc.gov website we can write a letter to Eric Adams but I’m not sure if that will make any waves.

Maybe a letter (or email) to either your local councilperson? I read that they sit in on approval meetings for new buildings in their area and so I imagine that they also have some sway in city-wide discussions about the lottery process as well. I wonder if each council area might also hold meetings which the public could attend?

Old 04-15-2022, 08:09 PM

Oh yeah I didn’t think about that! I’m starting to get involved with my community board and I know they also kind of some/what have a say when it comes to the new buildings. I missed the most recent meeting but plan on going to the next and saying something.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:20 PM

2,037 posts, read 1,653,205 times
Default It’s an Election Year

(In this year’s elections, primary June 26, general November 6 NY state has had its number of seats in the US House of Rep. This is a result of more people in other states answering the US Census than in NY state.)

If you are eligible to vote be sure you register to vote.

It’s also an Election Year for NY State Senate, and NY State Assembly. Same dates I think.
Go to the NY Board of Elections page and use your home address to learn who holds those elected offices for your home address. Contact those elected office holders. We assume they are running for re-election, so contact their campaigns. Also contact any primary opponents in those races.

Do the same thing for the Governor, contact the Governor’s Office, and then the re-election campaign. Since the Lt. Gov’s office is vacant you can say you’d like to see the replacement Lt Gov be someone who understands the needs for affordable housing and it’s policies. Contact other candidates for Gov and Lt Gov with the same message.

You can impress an elected office holder or candidate you contact if you can tell them:
  • Your NYC Community Board
  • Your US Congressional District
  • Your State Senate District
  • Your State Assembly District
  • Where your poll is located

Old 04-16-2022, 05:24 PM

2,037 posts, read 1,653,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Maybe a letter (or email) to either your local councilperson? I read that they sit in on approval meetings for new buildings in their area and so I imagine that they also have some sway in city-wide discussions about the lottery process as well. I wonder if each council area might also hold meetings which the public could attend?
As I understand it, the 421a Tax Break is State policy that applies in NYC (perhaps elsewhere in the state too). So contacting this year’s campaigns for seats in Albany next year is timely. The primaries are in June.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post

Thank you! You always have the best resources. I will be looking into this and also encourage others to do the same. It sounds so cheesy but I believe we have more power than we realize when it comes to a lot of things. Especially in large numbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: