Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 03:26 AM

264 posts, read 312,526 times

Advertisements

Thank you @macnyc2003, @Jayinbk, @90sSitcom and @stormgal for the clarification. I’ve received some paperwork I had previously signed off on from my agent again, and noticed that this time, they had a unit number on them. I guess I have to wait and see if they get uploaded to Housing Connect to know if the city has them. I appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom02 View Post
@macnyc2003 thank you for confirming this. I thought they approve multiple families per unit just in case the lowest log number falls through. But I’m guessing the agency just has a file ready to send to HPD for approval in case that happens?
I thought this same thing as well. Knowing the answer now makes the process a little easier to bear.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:56 AM

178 posts, read 242,190 times
@stormgal thank you for your feedback. I’m confused now lol. So HPD DOES in fact approve multiple people for the same unit? The agencies just manage who’s on hold while the lower numbers try for the apartments and accept or reject it?

Old 04-29-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom02 View Post
@stormgal thank you for your feedback. I’m confused now lol. So HPD DOES in fact approve multiple people for the same unit? The agencies just manage who’s on hold while the lower numbers try for the apartments and accept or reject it?
No, it’s the management agency that approves multiple people for the same unit, not the city. That’s what she said. The city doesn’t approve multiple people for the same unit because the management agency can’t send over multiple applications for the same unit - they only send the first qualifying applicant with the lowest log number. Then, if that applicant turns down the offer or is rejected, the management agency puts the unit number on the next qualifying applicant’s TIC (from the applications they have on hold) and sends that application over, and so on.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:47 AM

Thank you so much! Truly appreciate the clarification.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:03 AM

39 posts, read 52,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGC74 View Post
No, it’s the management agency that approves multiple people for the same unit, not the city. That’s what she said. The city doesn’t approve multiple people for the same unit because the management agency can’t send over multiple applications for the same unit - they only send the first qualifying applicant with the lowest log number. Then, if that applicant turns down the offer or is rejected, the management agency puts the unit number on the next qualifying applicant’s TIC (from the applications they have on hold) and sends that application over, and so on.
So basically even though I viewed the apartment and was assigned the unit number, someone else could of viewed it too and is waiting for an approval?

Old 04-29-2022, 09:20 AM

I’m not sure if others would see the unit unless you decline the unit or got rejected by HPD. But some buildings do seem (from other conversations I’ve seen here on this site) to see that they show units to people before sending to HPD. Not quite sure if it’s the same across the board. The building I’m going for needed to get us approved from HPD before we were offered a unit. But I do see other projects don’t do it that way. What I gather from above is that only one perspective tenant is approved by HPD for a unit. Regardless if others see the unit or not.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrorafe View Post
So basically even though I viewed the apartment and was assigned the unit number, someone else could of viewed it too and is waiting for an approval?
From how I’m understanding now, if your paperwork (TIC file) has the unit number on it and was sent to the city, the unit is yours. The management would not send your file to the city unless you qualified for the unit listed and it was available for you upon approval, with no one in front of you.

Old 04-29-2022, 03:23 PM

39 posts, read 52,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGC74 View Post
From how I’m understanding now, if your paperwork (TIC file) has the unit number on it and was sent to the city, the unit is yours. The management would not send your file to the city unless you qualified for the unit listed and it was available for you upon approval, with no one in front of you.
Thank you for the info ! I’m now understanding it more ☺️

Old 04-29-2022, 03:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Default Possession is 9/10ths of the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrorafe View Post
Possession is 9/10ths of the Law

You viewed the unit but you do not now occupy the unit. The owners can show it to other people because it’s not yours yet. This is still true if the unit will be yours pending final approval or pending your signature on the lease.

It might be different if you put down a deposit or something.

The City might STILL BE ABLE REJECT YOU. They get to make the decision that is why they are sent paperwork. But you can appeal if you are rejected. However, a rejection is unlikely because the agent has no interest is sending flawed applications to the City.

Once you sign a lease even the police can’t come in without a warrant or an emergency unless you consent.

These are my views.

Last edited by WildAboutHarry; 04-29-2022 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Typos and addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery