Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 11:40 AM

29 posts, read 19,845 times

Advertisements

From a property developer's perspective, how does it work when it comes time to determine the AMI ranges? I read an article that said there are different incentive options for 421a:

Quote:
the developers have to choose between Affordability Options A, B, or C. When no other incentives are at play (i.e. Inclusionary Housing, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, HPD financing, etc.), developers tend to select the Affordability Option C with its very generous 130% AMI income limitation.
Edit: I also found this report about 421a that explains the different affordability options on page 5. I've only had a chance to skim the report, as it's quite long, but the gist seems to be that the most recent version of 421a, called Affordable New York, has encouraged higher AMIs. I couldn't find a specific explanation of why, though. Are developers just not given sufficient incentives to include lower AMIs? Are there reforms being proposed?

Last edited by grandstreet; 05-06-2022 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 11:46 AM

394 posts, read 569,022 times
Two words ; MONEY & GREED
lol that sums it up , developers also probably want to have renters with a certain income level in the apartments as well.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:59 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Hey I created a thread on this that explains how they come up with the AMIs :https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ges-their.html

Old 05-06-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Hey I created a thread on this that explains how they come up with the AMIs :https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ges-their.html
Thanks! This is helpful.

I looked at the report you posted. If I'm understanding it, it seems that with a couple caveats, developers get the same 100% tax exemption for 25 years whether they choose option A (10% of units at 40% AMI, 10% of units at 60% AMI, and 5% at 130% AMI) or option C / option G (30% of units at 130% AMI).

Given that, it seems like a no-brainer that any developer would go with option C or G. Who designed this policy??

On another note, I also noticed that none of the listed options contain 165% AMI, yet we keep seeing buildings that offer 165% AMI units. Are those part of a different program?

Old 05-06-2022, 01:41 PM

The policy is under the 421-a tax exemption which was created by the state. This year it expires and they are working on replacing it with a better tax exemption. Governor Hochul has drafted a replacement. I spoke about it in this thread :https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...placement.html

"The 2022 proposal retains the structure of the current option A for rental developments with 30 units or more, lowering the income restriction for 5% of the units from 130% of AMI to 80%. For rental developments with less than 30 units, the 2022 proposal envisions that 20% of the units are available for incomes up to 90% of AMI. Finally, the proposal includes a homeownership component that limits initial and subsequent resales for the first 40 years to buyers with incomes at 130% of AMI. In the case of rental buildings, tax exemptions are full for 25 years and equal to the share of income-restricted units for 10 additional years. Homeownership developments would receive 40 years of full tax exemption. Table 4 below summarizes the main provisions."

They essentially want to get rid of the 130AMI option. As for the ones that are higher than 130, I had the same question and someone answered me in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...han-130-a.html

Old 05-07-2022, 06:35 AM

Thanks again, super helpful. The comptroller's report was especially enlightening. Hochul's proposal seems like a step in the right direction to me, but the report makes a pretty convincing case that even bigger changes are needed.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstreet View Post
Thanks again, super helpful. The comptroller's report was especially enlightening. Hochul's proposal seems like a step in the right direction to me, but the report makes a pretty convincing case that even bigger changes are needed.
Anytime! Interested to see how it’s all pans out. The current tax exemption expired next month and they have until December to replace it. Since they already have draft of a new one I’m hoping it doesn’t take until December. The sooner we have a better tax exemption the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: