Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 06:56 AM

63 posts, read 65,344 times

Advertisements

I'm in the final stages of a lottery for a luxury building in Queens and I've never lived in a luxury building before. I know this particular building has an amenity fee plus some incremental add ons for things like pool use, and have seen other people in the forum say their building waived those fees for lottery winners.

Does anyone have experience with this? Did you asked for them to be waived or was this offered as a concession? Any other ways to save some money here?

And I know sometimes for these buildings there are other move-in related costs. How do those usually work? Anything else I should be preparing for budget-wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 07:09 AM

603 posts, read 600,560 times
I think it's rare for them to waive the amenity fees. But I have seen some discounted rates, still rare though. I asked my building in the beginning, they said no. Also usually the amenity fee is per person, per month. It can add up if you have 2 or more people in your household.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:54 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,839,601 times
In my building, we, lottery unit tenants, get discounted on the amenities fee so market rate tenants pay more than we pay. It's divided into two parts: Access to the Arena (gym, pool, jacuzzi, sauna, yoga, basketball, etc) & the Club (family & game lounge, tech room, outdoor terrace, movie theater, etc) is one fee & if you want an access to the rooftop (wine bar, penthouse lounge, dining room with full kitchen, outdoor terrace, etc) there will be an additional fee.

Per-unit usually has at least one membership & it can be used by any household members as long as they don't go to the amenities premises altogether. However, if tenant wants to add another (or two) membership, they will get 50% discount on the second & third ones. For bringing in guests, we are allowed to bring maximum two guests at no cost, for basketball court I believe maximum three guests at no cost.

As for the cost related to moving-in, you may want to ask your building management about their rules & regulations. My building has some rules about it, either hiring a professional mover so they can provide a COI (Certificate of Insurance) or you can move everything in by yourself but you have to submit $1000 in a certified check just in case you damage anything during the process, if not, the building management will return your check. In my case, I just hired a professional mover & all done!

Oh, also, tenants must reserve a service elevator in advance through the building management, this is also very important! So ask your building management about their service elevators & whether you have to book it in advance for your move.

Good luck & happy moving!!!

Old 05-20-2022, 08:03 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloitsmeeee View Post
I'm in the final stages of a lottery for a luxury building in Queens and I've never lived in a luxury building before. I know this particular building has an amenity fee plus some incremental add ons for things like pool use, and have seen other people in the forum say their building waived those fees for lottery winners.

Does anyone have experience with this? Did you asked for them to be waived or was this offered as a concession? Any other ways to save some money here?

And I know sometimes for these buildings there are other move-in related costs. How do those usually work? Anything else I should be preparing for budget-wise?
Everything will be spelled out in lease along with additional riders.

Some buildings offered to waive amenity fees for a period of time (one year), but this was for everyone, not just one tenant making special request.

https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/details/2579

https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/details/2631

https://newyorkyimby.com/2022/03/hou...-brooklyn.html

Old 05-20-2022, 11:20 AM

This is all super helpful! Thank you everyone.

Feels like they should have some standardization around these things. I get building amenities vary, but seems like the fees can really stack up at some places. Hoping this particular building will offer a discount or waive them for lottery winners in the first year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
I think it's rare for them to waive the amenity fees. But I have seen some discounted rates, still rare though. I asked my building in the beginning, they said no. Also usually the amenity fee is per person, per month. It can add up if you have 2 or more people in your household.
I am still waiting to be approved by HPD so one final hurdle! But assuming that happens, I will definitely ask. And I'm single as a Pringle so nobody else but me at the moment haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
In my building, we, lottery unit tenants, get discounted on the amenities fee so market rate tenants pay more than we pay.

As for the cost related to moving-in, you may want to ask your building management about their rules & regulations.

Oh, also, tenants must reserve a service elevator in advance through the building management, this is also very important!

Good luck & happy moving!!!
If my building charges a ton for amenties, I'm offering myself up as your guest if you'd ever like company!! Those sound amazing and probably worth the fee. And good to know about the mover insurance. Probably more economical and less stressful to hire someone anyway!

In your building are there fees to rent the service elevator? Or just a reserve it when you need it situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Everything will be spelled out in lease along with additional riders.

Some buildings offered to waive amenity fees for a period of time (one year), but this was for everyone, not just one tenant making special request.

https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/details/2579

https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/details/2631

https://newyorkyimby.com/2022/03/hou...-brooklyn.html
Oh thank you!! I will be sure to read all the fine print and ask lots of questions. And appreciate all these links!

Old 05-20-2022, 11:24 AM

I don't think tenants are forced to pay the amenities fee, it's optional, only if you wanna enjoy the amenities then you have to pay, if not, the building management will not ask you to pay. I believe some tenants in my building opted out in paying amenities & the building management is cool with that. Also, bear in mind, these amenities are mostly managed by the third party, not by the building management so every building has different rules & it's not up to the building management or the marketing management or HPD.

Re: service elevator, no, there is no fee in my building, we just need to book in advance if we wanna use it to better manage the elevators traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloitsmeeee View Post
This is all super helpful! Thank you everyone.

Feels like they should have some standardization around these things. I get building amenities vary, but seems like the fees can really stack up at some places. Hoping this particular building will offer a discount or waive them for lottery winners in the first year!

I am still waiting to be approved by HPD so one final hurdle! But assuming that happens, I will definitely ask. And I'm single as a Pringle so nobody else but me at the moment haha.

If my building charges a ton for amenties, I'm offering myself up as your guest if you'd ever like company!! Those sound amazing and probably worth the fee. And good to know about the mover insurance. Probably more economical and less stressful to hire someone anyway!

In your building are there fees to rent the service elevator? Or just a reserve it when you need it situation?

Oh thank you!! I will be sure to read all the fine print and ask lots of questions. And appreciate all these links!

Old 05-20-2022, 11:41 AM

644 posts, read 735,373 times
How much is the amenities fee usually?

Old 05-20-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GdoIsh View Post
I have seen it range from building to building based on posts from this thread! Sometimes it can be $30/mo and sometimes it can get into the $100s. I know the building I'm in the process for also charges a separate fee for use (as a day pass per person).

Old 05-20-2022, 11:45 AM

It varies, every building has different rate, it's ranging from $0 to $750 per-month but average is from $75 to $250 per-month. In my case, I pay $166.50/month everything is included!

Quote:

Old 05-20-2022, 01:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Quote:
Second what others have said. To add, in buildings with outdoor pools, it is not uncommon for there to be one monthly fee to use everything except the pool (gym, rooftop, game rooms etc.) and then an additional fee that is only charged once per season, specifically for use of the pool during the summer. For example a friend of mine has a $75 (per adult) monthly fee for everything except the pool, and then there is a $350 (per adult) fee once a year if you want access to the outdoor pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery