Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 07:03 PM

164 posts, read 193,597 times

Advertisements

I just got a letter from a Mitchell Lama I’m waitlisted for inviting me to schedule a time to view a unit. I had seven days to respond, and a lack of response would be considered a rejection.

The letter was dated May 5th, and it landed at my door (literal) today. I suspect it ended up in the wrong mailbox given how it was squeezed into my front door. I’ve been checking my mailbox diligently and had been calling the office at least once a month, until the representative made it clear it was unlikely I’d be reached out within the next few months, so I decided to cool it on the calls.

The only thing I have going for me is that I hope I annoyed the agent enough on my previous calls that they throw me a bone. I’m so stressed out. I am fine if I don’t end up getting this unit, though I’d still love a tour to get a sense of what the space and interior is like.

I’ve left a message and emailed to see if anything could be done, but how would one go about appealing an error with the post office or delivery? The letter and postmark have the same dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 07:12 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaane View Post
I just got a letter from a Mitchell Lama I’m waitlisted for inviting me to schedule a time to view a unit. I had seven days to respond, and a lack of response would be considered a rejection.

The letter was dated May 5th, and it landed at my door (literal) today. I suspect it ended up in the wrong mailbox given how it was squeezed into my front door. I’ve been checking my mailbox diligently and had been calling the office at least once a month, until the representative made it clear it was unlikely I’d be reached out within the next few months, so I decided to cool it on the calls.

The only thing I have going for me is that I hope I annoyed the agent enough on my previous calls that they throw me a bone. I’m so stressed out. I am fine if I don’t end up getting this unit, though I’d still love a tour to get a sense of what the space and interior is like.

I’ve left a message and emailed to see if anything could be done, but how would one go about appealing an error with the post office or delivery? The letter and postmark have the same dates.
First thing. Be Nice.

You should tomorrow get in touch with your City Councilor’s Office. If you don’t know already, identify who you State Senator, Assembly person and Member of Congress is. If you are not registered to vote, and are eligible you should register to vote.

Consider reaching out to the postal authorities and mention the delayed delivery. Check the address on the envelope and letter to be sure it was correct.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:18 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I think you should explain everything to the agent, assuming you can get through. These letters are not sent "return receipt requested" and they do not require a signature. Because of this, the MLs really can't prove one way or the other that you got the letter. So give it a try, be nice but firm, that you didn't get the letter until today and see what happens. Best of luck!

Old 05-24-2022, 07:25 PM

Thank you both. I’ve sent an email to the managers (since I had to email them to change my mailing address), and left a voicemail too. But I’ll also call tomorrow morning as soon as the office opens and check in.

I’m not sure I’m at the level to escalate to City Councilors or anything just yet, but I am hoping my previous diligence will be remembered and work in my favor

Old 05-24-2022, 07:54 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,645,707 times
We are going into a long weekend. Friday and the Monday holiday it might be hard to reach anyone.

It doesn’t hurt to speak to a City Councilor’s office to wish the a good holiday. You don’t have to ask them to take action on your circumstances yet. Just a brief conversation to say you have a problem and is this office a good one to contact if you yourself can’t get it resolved.

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:12 AM

828 posts, read 772,060 times
Quote:

I'm curious if this is for Village East Towers. I got a pretty low log number for the 3br lottery several weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep. I read on this forum that I should be receiving an application and will need to pay an app fee - but nothing. I'm worried that my application, like yours, is 'lost' in the mail.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
I'm curious if this is for Village East Towers. I got a pretty low log number for the 3br lottery several weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep. I read on this forum that I should be receiving an application and will need to pay an app fee - but nothing. I'm worried that my application, like yours, is 'lost' in the mail.
It was not - I did not get selected for Village East

Thankfully, the outreach for the unit was to a group of applicants, and someone ahead of me took the unit, so this won’t be counted against me. BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!

Old 05-25-2022, 07:46 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
That's great!! Was this for Penn South?

Also, sign up for the USPS mail preview service. It is called Informed Delivery. Via email, you will see an image of the mail you will be receiving that day. If you don't receive the physical letter that day or the next day, you will be on the alert. Best of luck!

Old 05-25-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
That's great!! Was this for Penn South?

Also, sign up for the USPS mail preview service. It is called Informed Delivery. Via email, you will see an image of the mail you will be receiving that day. If you don't receive the physical letter that day or the next day, you will be on the alert. Best of luck!
Nope, East Midtown Plaza! Thanks for the USPS mail preview tip - I’ll look into that!

Old 05-25-2022, 08:28 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Nope, East Midtown Plaza! Thanks for the USPS mail preview tip - I’ll look into that!
That's a nice lottery. I hope you win the appeal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: