Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2022, 07:25 AM

125 posts, read 135,809 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum. I just have a question, is it common for people to win the NY housing lottery with CB preference & a log number in the 3k-6k range? I was recently contacted about a month ago to submit docs and I’m just waiting to hear back from them. It’s a brand new building with 200+ Units available. I have Cb preference & log 4xxx so I just would like to know do I have a good chance??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 07:29 AM

21 posts, read 14,161 times
Its at random, being asked to submit documents is a good first step!!!

Old 07-01-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ2073 View Post
Its at random, being asked to submit documents is a good first step!!!
Ok thanks. I know that the building isn’t full yet it’s brand new with 200+ units so I do have a chance. People only started moving in last month and I’ve already passed the first step of submitting docs so I’ve just gotta hope for the best.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:59 AM

828 posts, read 768,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycgirl91 View Post
Ok thanks. I know that the building isn’t full yet it’s brand new with 200+ units so I do have a chance. People only started moving in last month and I’ve already passed the first step of submitting docs so I’ve just gotta hope for the best.
You have a chance, but remember it's a lottery. If you are contacted for documents and ultimately sign a lease, consider yourself a lottery winner and extremely lucky.

DO NOT count on Housing Connect as a replacement for typical apartment hunting if you are in need of an apartment - the process will take months or even years. There are people on here for years (me) who haven't had any luck at all.

Brand new buildings with 200+ units are usually the most popular and fill up with low log numbers.

But yes, you have a chance, especially since you have already submitted docs and have CB preference and even more so if you are in the 130-165% AMI category.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
You have a chance, but remember it's a lottery. If you are contacted for documents and ultimately sign a lease, consider yourself a lottery winner and extremely lucky.

DO NOT count on Housing Connect as a replacement for typical apartment hunting if you are in need of an apartment - the process will take months or even years. There are people on here for years (me) who haven't had any luck at all.

Brand new buildings with 200+ units are usually the most popular and fill up with low log numbers.

But yes, you have a chance, especially since you have already submitted docs and have CB preference and even more so if you are in the 130-165% AMI category.

Good luck!
Ok thank you for your response. Yes I’m aware it’s a lottery so There are no guarantees. My current lease ends at the end of September so I’m not sure if I’m going to renew it or not, it honestly all depends on what happens with housing connect. It’s only July now so I’ve got 3 months to see what happens.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:47 AM

828 posts, read 768,785 times
Quote:
Ok thank you for your response. Yes I’m aware it’s a lottery so There are no guarantees. My current lease ends at the end of September so I’m not sure if I’m going to renew it or not, it honestly all depends on what happens with housing connect. It’s only July now so I’ve got 3 months to see what happens.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 07-01-2022, 12:03 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
You should prepare as if 3 months will not be enough time because you can’t control that, and often the lottery can’t control that either. There are many reasons why 3 months might not be enough. (On the other hand, they might demand you sign a lease for August 1.)

I agree with what other people have posted. I add, you should examine your lease. I don’t mean talk about it with mgmt or other people, but do that if you want. I mean get a paper copy or online version or whatever and see what it says about: Renewals, Overstaying the Lease, and so on.

If you are very lucky you will be offered a unit. But you have very little control about when an actual move in date might be. The unit might not be ready. You might only get the unit as the result of a last minute cancellation, and so on.

If you do renew, before signing, discuss what the terms are for leaving early. They might give you a clause that reduces the downside if and when you give 30 days notice or something like that. Get this in writing. This is a good practice because if you don’t prevail in this lottery, you might in a future lottery.

Expecting to win a lottery unit, and for it to be on your personal timetable is asking to be lucky twice. So, make plans to reduce the consequences if you are only lucky once.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
You should prepare as if 3 months will not be enough time because you can’t control that, and often the lottery can’t control that either. There are many reasons why 3 months might not be enough. (On the other hand, they might demand you sign a lease for August 1.)

I agree with what other people have posted. I add, you should examine your lease. I don’t mean talk about it with mgmt or other people, but do that if you want. I mean get a paper copy or online version or whatever and see what it says about: Renewals, Overstaying the Lease, and so on.

If you are very lucky you will be offered a unit. But you have very little control about when an actual move in date might be. The unit might not be ready. You might only get the unit as the result of a last minute cancellation, and so on.

If you do renew, before signing, discuss what the terms are for leaving early. They might give you a clause that reduces the downside if and when you give 30 days notice or something like that. Get this in writing. This is a good practice because if you don’t prevail in this lottery, you might in a future lottery.

Expecting to win a lottery unit, and for it to be on your personal timetable is asking to be lucky twice. So, make plans to reduce the consequences if you are only lucky once.
Hey thanks for your response. I’m very aware that things may not go in my favor. I’ve also spoke to my landlord and informed him that I’ve been contacted by HC and my app is in process so there’s a chance I may be moving soon. he completely understands because another lady in his building won the Housing lottery last year and my landlord let her move with no problems. He is being helpful and understanding & he said if I need anything just let him know and to keep him updated on my process. Also I’ve decided that I won’t be renewing my lease come September. I’m gona try do a month to month lease. I’ve did this with my landlord before and he was ok with it so I’m not even too worried about that. Worse case scenario if I do get accepted in the HC unit in (august) then I’ll just end my current lease early and let my landlord keep my security deposit. That’s no problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery