Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 05:33 PM

954 posts, read 932,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Lol YOU need to get your information correct! You do NOT have to reside within NYC to apply and be selected but there is a general preference for NYC applicants. If you do not reside within NYC, you will be behind all NYC-resident applicants.
I did not state you needed to live in NYC to apply. Honestly, before you quote me, comprehend what I type before responding back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
If you read FAQ in here https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/faq - there is a question below:

I do not live in New York City. Can I apply through Housing Connect?

And here's the answer:

Yes, non-New York City residents can apply, however, preference is given to current New York City residents. New York City is defined as the five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.

So it doesn't mean the non-NYC residents are being disqualified automatically, it's just they are not priority.

If you want to correct something just say it nicely & oh... You should say this to yourself: You have to get your information correct before you just say stuff
Reread my post and tell me where I said you had to be a NYC to apply? I’m waiting. My post was as clear as day. Not my issue if you don’t understand what meet the resident requirements mean.

Anyone all over this world can apply, they will not be selected to move forward once they see that you’re not a NYC resident who can prove you live in the five boroughs. It’s an automatic disqualification. I know a few people who live out of state who were disqualified and ultimately not selected because of this.

I never said non NYC residents can’t apply.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:43 PM

248 posts, read 401,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
Reread my post and tell me where I said you had to be a NYC to apply? I’m waiting. My post was as clear as day. Not my issue if you don’t understand what meet the resident requirements mean.

Anyone all over this world can apply, they will not be selected to move forward once they see that you’re not a NYC resident who can prove you live in the five boroughs. It’s an automatic disqualification. I know a few people who live out of state who were disqualified and ultimately not selected because of this.

You have now said multiple times that non-NYC residents are automatically disqualified. That is not correct; it's not a disqualification, just a near-impossible hurdle to overcome.

And you're super rude and defensive for someone who has been wrong multiple times.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:46 PM

To be clear, in a lottery with 999 NYC resident applicants who do not qualify based on income, family composition, etc, the one NJ resident applicant has a chance to qualify.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:55 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,835,300 times
First, I never said you said, "You had to be an NYC to apply."

Second, the argument in here is you said, "They won’t put them back in line they will be automatically disqualified because they don’t meet the residency requirements needed to move forward."

Granted you said, "I know a few people who live out of state who were disqualified and ultimately not selected because of this."

BUT....

You CAN NOT disregard the facts that:

- A member in this forum, not only you, also knew that someone who resided in NJ won a housing lottery in Williamsburg through Housing Connect.

- Another member also said they called HPD directly & asked about this issue & HPD confirmed that yes, those who live outside NYC won't be a priority but they won't be disqualified either.

SO...

You said, "Not my issue if you don’t understand what meet the resident requirements mean." - You should've said this to yourself because perhaps you are the one who don’t understand what meet the resident requirements mean & you may not know what was the EXACT reason a few people who live out of state who were disqualified, perhaps ultimately they were not selected NOT because of their residency.

I noticed the official reasons of rejection by HPD are the following:

1. Upon complete review, your income and/or household size does not meet the guidelines.
2. The rental subsidy listed on your application does not sufficiently cover the rent for the units in this project.
3. Your income does not demonstrate a continuing need.
4. Criminal background check
5. Your application and/or documentation has been found to include inconsistent information
6. Failure to schedule an eligibility appointment or failure to attend a scheduled and confirmed appointment
7. You do not meet the definition of a household established by the Agencies
8. Failure to submit documentation by the deadline or failure to submit sufficient or complete documentation
9. Credit and housing court history
10. Other

None of those reasons specifically said like you said, "You don’t meet the resident requirements."

Unless those people who got rejected showed you in writing the exact reason why they got rejected, you should not make any assumption.

Lastly...

If I may suggest, just be respectful & don't be rude when you state your argument i.e. when you corrected my earlier post, you have every right to do so but when you added: You have to get your information correct before you just say stuff. - That was unnecessary!

Quote:

Last edited by someoneinqueens; 07-20-2022 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-20-2022, 07:54 PM

153 posts, read 180,238 times
Does anyone know if you can get rejected if tax returns and w2 are in a old NJ address?? I lived there in 2021 but live back in NYC now..

I worry that my documents might get thrown in the inconsistent information pile

Old 07-20-2022, 08:02 PM

As long as you can prove that you live in NYC now, it shouldn't be a problem. Just be prepared to show recent utility bills, DL or other ID, lease, bank statements with your current address.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
You have now said multiple times that non-NYC residents are automatically disqualified. That is not correct; it's not a disqualification, just a near-impossible hurdle to overcome.

And you're super rude and defensive for someone who has been wrong multiple times.
They are automatically disqualified because I know non NYC residents who applied and were disqualified. Like I said I personally knew them. Whatever floats the hell out of your weird boat.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
They are automatically disqualified because I know non NYC residents who applied and were disqualified. Like I said I personally knew them. Whatever floats the hell out of your weird boat.
Cite one source to back up your claim. The official HC website says otherwise so I'll be waiting for you to disprove Housing Connect.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
First, I never said you said, "You had to be an NYC to apply."

Second, the argument in here is you said, "They won’t put them back in line they will be automatically disqualified because they don’t meet the residency requirements needed to move forward."

Granted you said, "I know a few people who live out of state who were disqualified and ultimately not selected because of this."

BUT....

You CAN NOT disregard the facts that:

- A member in this forum, not only you, also knew that someone who resided in NJ won a housing lottery in Williamsburg through Housing Connect.

- Another member also said they called HPD directly & asked about this issue & HPD confirmed that yes, those who live outside NYC won't be a priority but they won't be disqualified either.

SO...

You said, "Not my issue if you don’t understand what meet the resident requirements mean." - You should've said this to yourself because perhaps you are the one who don’t understand what meet the resident requirements mean & you may not know what was the EXACT reason a few people who live out of state who were disqualified, perhaps ultimately they were not selected NOT because of their residency.

I noticed the official reasons of rejection by HPD are the following:

1. Upon complete review, your income and/or household size does not meet the guidelines.
2. The rental subsidy listed on your application does not sufficiently cover the rent for the units in this project.
3. Your income does not demonstrate a continuing need.
4. Criminal background check
5. Your application and/or documentation has been found to include inconsistent information
6. Failure to schedule an eligibility appointment or failure to attend a scheduled and confirmed appointment
7. You do not meet the definition of a household established by the Agencies
8. Failure to submit documentation by the deadline or failure to submit sufficient or complete documentation
9. Credit and housing court history
10. Other

None of those reasons specifically said like you said, "You don’t meet the resident requirements."

Unless those people who got rejected showed you in writing the exact reason why they got rejected, you should not make any assumption.

Lastly...

If I may suggest, just be respectful & don't be rude when you state your argument i.e. when you corrected my earlier post, you have every right to do so but when you added: You have to get your information correct before you just say stuff. - That was unnecessary!
They are not putting them in line, they disqualify them by saying they are not moving to the next step. I know people who have moved out of NYC and others who were never residents who this has happened to. So what are you talking about?

The end of the line would means they’re basically going to select them again and they do not. They tell them why they aren’t selecting them and then they no longer deal with that applicant.

So I’m not sure what you’re saying, cause I know several people this has happened to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: