Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 12:46 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times

Advertisements

Waterside Plaza seems to be in City Council District 4, office held by City Councilor Keith Powers. This district 4 includes Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village. Very likely he has someone on staff knowledgeable about housing matters. Contact his office immediately.

Perhaps a mistake has been made by management. Be polite. You don’t know it’s attempted robbery yet.

https://council.nyc.gov/district-4/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 12:49 PM

347 posts, read 355,536 times
No idea why anyone assumed all of these places are rent stabilized; read your contracts people.
(my rent went up $1600 per month this spring; $500 would have been tolerable)

Old 07-26-2022, 12:53 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
No idea why anyone assumed all of these places are rent stabilized; read your contracts people.
(my rent went up $1600 per month this spring; $500 would have been tolerable)
The vast majority of lottery apartment are rent stabilized. But I agree with you that people should be reading the lease before they sign it.

That's a great suggest to contact Keith Powers' office!! Do that right away. He's the one who negotiated the deal with the settlement tenants.

I just sent you a private message.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 07-26-2022 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-26-2022, 12:56 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
This is crazy and thanks for posting about it!
When we go on to view an apartment, would the person showing you around know if the rent will increase that drastically upon renewal? How do we know which building will have these increases and which ones won't unless we are reading the lease?

Old 07-26-2022, 01:00 PM

If the building is rent-stabilized, as the vast majority of lottery apartments are, you would be protected from drastic increases.

If the building is using a system that tracks increases (and decreases) in the AMI from year to you, I guess that is more volatile.

It should all be spelled out in the lease.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:00 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The vast majority of lottery apartment are rent stabilized.

That's a great suggest to contact Keith Powers' office!! Do that right away. He's the one who negotiated the deal with the settlement tenants.

I just sent you a private message.
Yeah most are. Even with market rate units its important to ask if the unit is rent stabilized or not prior to signing a lease.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:41 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
If the building is rent-stabilized, as the vast majority of lottery apartments are, you would be protected from drastic increases.

If the building is using a system that tracks increases (and decreases) in the AMI from year to you, I guess that is more volatile.

It should all be spelled out in the lease.
I guess that is what I'm asking - how would one know the bold, especially since all apartments on the housing connect site are said to be "affordable" and "rent stabilized." I (and I'm sure many others on here) don't want to waste our time providing documentation or go through the process to get an increase like the OP's. Ugh, what a nightmare.

Why else would anyone participate in these lotteries?

Old 07-26-2022, 01:57 PM

35 posts, read 39,968 times
Waterside Plaza was offering 2 months free when I was contacted last year. Glad I didn't go through with it.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:58 PM

Yes, the market rate increases at Waterside are insane. My friend's rent went up 53%, an increase of $1,300 a month.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:17 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Default Be polite, consider aiming at compromise

I hope for you this large rent increase was a mistake. However, it might be in order. Perhaps with assistance and advocacy, the increase might be negotiated down somewhat for a year to give you a change to adjust or move. Maybe they could offer you a different unit a lower rent and/or with some rent regulations. The development and the City are partners of sorts here.

Having a copy of the original lease to review will be important. Contact City Representatives, not just bureaucrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery