Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 03:56 PM

300 posts, read 212,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevie123 View Post
So I asked HPD because I had a similar question and they said the disability just had to be verified by a medical professional. Whether you get a modified apartment or not is dependent upon the building you're applying to.
So if I apply with this preference, i’m not blocking myself from getting a regular unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 05:57 PM

333 posts, read 255,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
So if I apply with this preference, i’m not blocking myself from getting a regular unit?
It depends on the building and management. HPD said it depends on the "project"

Old 08-03-2022, 07:13 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Since 1990's or 1980's all multi-family housing must be ADA compliant. FHA also has laws/rules on disability requirements.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/...accessibilityR

https://adatile.com/do-apartments-ha...ada-compliant/

Thus any new construction for these "lottery" buildings regardless whether or not they offered "affordable" or "low income" housing would have to meet requirements above.

Most of those requirements speak to accessibility of building, common areas, and some other bits like ground floor units.

What ADA and other laws do not speak to is individual units being in compliance with said laws.

https://www.realpage.com/blog/3-misc...sibility-laws/

This means largely ensuring doorways are wide enough for wheel chair access and some other small bit, apartments are not required to be modified in order to suit a specific disability. If a developer wishes to create such units or whatever on their own or with a carrot/stick from city, that is another matter.

What said preference for households with verified disability does is basically carve out unit or units that will be set aside for a "special" group who often have issues finding housing, especially something they can afford.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:20 AM

603 posts, read 600,232 times
If you have a doctor sign off on the hearing disability - that's enough - in terms of the document submitting process. Some buildings have 2% set aside for hearing/vision disabilities.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:26 AM

18 posts, read 13,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
Does anyone know how severe a disability needs to be to claim it as a preference, specifically in regards to hearing. Would minor hearing loss be considered, or is it for more serious cases? Thank you in advance for any help.
As long as your doctor is able to fill out the form and stamp it and it stay you are disabled due to hearing lost that all that matters. I am considered mobility disabled but I’m not in a wheelchair and I don’t use a walker but I’m on oxygen so my doctor was able to fill out the certificate of eligibility for disability set aside unit and I was able to get my apartment. Hpd or the management company will not ask for anything else to prove the Severity of Disability. Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:52 AM

300 posts, read 212,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava55 View Post
As long as your doctor is able to fill out the form and stamp it and it stay you are disabled due to hearing lost that all that matters. I am considered mobility disabled but I’m not in a wheelchair and I don’t use a walker but I’m on oxygen so my doctor was able to fill out the certificate of eligibility for disability set aside unit and I was able to get my apartment. Hpd or the management company will not ask for anything else to prove the Severity of Disability. Hope this helps.
Thank you! Is there any way to find out if this will be used in lotteries already applied to? Or is it just for ones i apply to moving forward?

Old 08-04-2022, 09:13 AM

2,026 posts, read 1,639,492 times
Default Visual Hearing Impairment Waitlist, 2B, 40% AMI, 2 person min,

Hearing Waitlist, 2B, 40% AMI, 2 person min.

Applications may be requested in person or by mailing a self-addressed envelope to: Such and Such
Applications may also be requested by emailing or by calling.

https://www.nychdc.com/sites/default...ist%202022.pdf

Old 08-11-2022, 01:14 PM

14 posts, read 11,630 times
If you have a preference (CB & disability) is there a way to know if you were selected from that group or a general population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: